collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Why do we need British?  (Read 10995 times)

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Why do we need British?
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2014, 02:30:52 PM »
How many British managers (Rednose excepted) have won a trophy or finished top four in the past ten years?
Harry Redknapp and Steve Mclaren

You've missed at least one, but the point stands.

Moyes and now Rodgers are the other two (if you count NI).

You surely haven't forgotten the other one?

Robert O'Dimatteo?

the great TSM is who he's on about with the unwashed down the road

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2014, 02:32:36 PM »
Oh God. I'd bleached it from my memory.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2014, 02:33:00 PM »
*adopts post-traumatic counselling strategy*

Who?

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2014, 02:33:39 PM »
How many British managers (Rednose excepted) have won a trophy or finished top four in the past ten years?
Harry Redknapp and Steve Mclaren

You've missed at least one, but the point stands.

Moyes and now Rodgers are the other two (if you count NI).

I actually thought he was English until now. Where is the things learnt on H&V thread?

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2014, 02:33:40 PM »
Did Dalglish win a trophy?

Does the Award for 'The Biggest Waste of a Transfer Budget in the History of Football' count?

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2014, 02:54:18 PM »
The argument that whoever wins trophies determines whether managers of a given nationality are good or bad is nonsense.  I tried to make this point when people made sweeping generalisations about British managers. 

In the last 10 years there have been 4 winners of the premier league; Arsenal, Chelsea, Man C, Man U.

I'm not sure you can draw any generalisations about the managers of these clubs.  Indeed there are so many contradictions.

With the possible exception of last year the only common thread is paying for the best players.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2014, 03:33:36 PM »
The simple answer is we don't need a British manager.

Offline abc123cox

• Villa-Till-I-Die
    • UPtheVILLA Aston Vilal Fans, News and Banter page
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2014, 03:42:12 PM »
It all depends on budgets for me, if Randy doesn't sell up then i don't know of another manager who could do much better then Moyes, however I wouldn't trust him with a sizable transfer budget.

I honestly think foreign is the way forward. Any of the names in my post could be getable if we tried hard enough. The likes of De Boer and Periera even though sound out of our league are not Fact is we could nearly triple there wages and still pay them less then McLeish, our only problem is the likes of Spurs or Man Utd getting there before us, but since Periera moved to Saudi he's been off the radar a little and could be the diamond in the rough we need.

Offline Tuco Salamanca

« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2014, 03:53:33 PM »
It all depends on budgets for me, if Randy doesn't sell up then i don't know of another manager who could do much better then Moyes, however I wouldn't trust him with a sizable transfer budget.

I honestly think foreign is the way forward. Any of the names in my post could be getable if we tried hard enough. The likes of De Boer and Periera even though sound out of our league are not Fact is we could nearly triple there wages and still pay them less then McLeish, our only problem is the likes of Spurs or Man Utd getting there before us, but since Periera moved to Saudi he's been off the radar a little and could be the diamond in the rough we need.

De Boer is miles out of our league- he's more likely to pitch up at Barca than Villa. Wages aren't that relevant in my opinion - footballers will take the quick buck, managers have a career and reputation to consider which can be easily tarnished.

This job is not very attractive whilst Lerner remains in charge - big club with tiny budget isn't a appealing combination so agree that Moyes would be the best bet for slowly moving us in the right direction. But even he may get better offers.

Anyhow, I suspect if Lerner stays, Lambert will.

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2014, 04:01:15 PM »
For me it depends on who owns the club come August. If Randy still does then I'd stick with British. Tried and tested and Moyes would of course be a far better option than Lambert, even if he has been damaged by his time at Utd. He'd still improve us.

If we get bought out I'd want us to be ambitious and approach a good foreign manager. Also under Lerner it's very evident that a total lack of footballing nous at the club means that appointing the next Pochettino would have the same liklihood as winning the Lottery two weeks running. Under Lerner I see it as a near impossibility. If he makes bad choices with the managers with known reputations domestically, then appointing an unheard of foreign coach will only end in disaster.

So it's vital any potential new owner gets proper football men at the top end of our infrastructure. Southampton are running their club very well at the moment. The had the nous to make the call on Pochettino, even though Adkins was actually doing a good job. That took balls and no small amount of nous. It's paid off. Combine that with their academy and the type of signings they make in conjunction, and it's paying dividends at the moment.
So in the event of a takeover we can go two routes. Young up and coming foreign coach, or a more established foreign coach who would cost more and perhaps only stay 1-2 years to lay foundations.

But Moyes took Everton to the lowest points tally in their history!

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2014, 04:05:07 PM »
For me it depends on who owns the club come August. If Randy still does then I'd stick with British. Tried and tested and Moyes would of course be a far better option than Lambert, even if he has been damaged by his time at Utd. He'd still improve us.

If we get bought out I'd want us to be ambitious and approach a good foreign manager. Also under Lerner it's very evident that a total lack of footballing nous at the club means that appointing the next Pochettino would have the same liklihood as winning the Lottery two weeks running. Under Lerner I see it as a near impossibility. If he makes bad choices with the managers with known reputations domestically, then appointing an unheard of foreign coach will only end in disaster.

So it's vital any potential new owner gets proper football men at the top end of our infrastructure. Southampton are running their club very well at the moment. The had the nous to make the call on Pochettino, even though Adkins was actually doing a good job. That took balls and no small amount of nous. It's paid off. Combine that with their academy and the type of signings they make in conjunction, and it's paying dividends at the moment.
So in the event of a takeover we can go two routes. Young up and coming foreign coach, or a more established foreign coach who would cost more and perhaps only stay 1-2 years to lay foundations.

But Moyes took Everton to the lowest points tally in their history!

Which really does highlight how shit Lambert is.

Offline abc123cox

• Villa-Till-I-Die
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2014, 04:14:06 PM »

De Boer is miles out of our league- he's more likely to pitch up at Barca than Villa. Wages aren't that relevant in my opinion - footballers will take the quick buck, managers have a career and reputation to consider which can be easily tarnished.

This job is not very attractive whilst Lerner remains in charge - big club with tiny budget isn't a appealing combination so agree that Moyes would be the best bet for slowly moving us in the right direction. But even he may get better offers.

Would people of said the same about Laudrup, his success at Bromby had him touted for some big clubs but that still didn't stop him rocking up in South Wales, my point is De Boer is no where near the finished article and no disrespect to The Dutch league but it is no where near the size in calibre of the premierleague.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2014, 04:28:11 PM »

Would people of said the same about Laudrup, his success at Bromby had him touted for some big clubs but that still didn't stop him rocking up in South Wales, my point is De Boer is no where near the finished article and no disrespect to The Dutch league but it is no where near the size in calibre of the premierleague.

Isn't he surrounded by a pretty large management structure at Ajax?  We currently lack that, with a vacuum of footballing know-how at the upper echelons of the club.  That aspect might appeal to him - if he wants complete control -, or equally, and more likely he will be found to be out of his depth, swamped by the amount of admin required to run all footballing aspects of the club. 

I actually think getting the right structure in place is more important than the selection of the next manager if we want to build more long term sustainable success.

Offline abc123cox

• Villa-Till-I-Die
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2014, 04:37:43 PM »
Yes agreed, if we do get taken over the 1st appointment should be a DoF, start at the top and work the way down, my point was just that De Boer or any of the other managers I suggested were getable expecially if the infrastructure is set up 1st.

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2014, 05:08:32 PM »

At the time winning the Supaliga with Brøndby was the equivalent of winning the SPL with either Rangers or Celtic.

I still think that his best achievement is keeping Mallorca in LaLiga the year he was there.

Imagine a retrenchment greater than ours over the last 4 years happening over one summer.

In our terms, it would have meant never signing, Benteke, Bacuna, N'Zogbia, Vlarr.

Delph, Clark, Bannan, Gabby, and anyone else with more than about £50 sell on value would have gone in the summer of 2011. Even signings of at the level of Westwood, Lowton and Bennett would have been beyond us.

Then keep the remaining assortment of youth team, unsellable journeymen and free transfers and loans afloat.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal