collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Why do we need British?  (Read 10908 times)

Offline abc123cox

• Villa-Till-I-Die
    • UPtheVILLA Aston Vilal Fans, News and Banter page
Why do we need British?
« on: April 23, 2014, 10:13:26 AM »
I keep reading threads, posts, tweets and Facebook statuses saying we need Moyes or any one else because of English football and so on, so I've done a quick post for other ways to go about it...

I look at this 2 ways...

1. if Lerner stays and we have a limited budget again and its a decision between Lambert and Moyes then really only one winner, Moyes has proved time and time again at Everton what he can do with limited resources, the players he unearthed from lower league or european nothingness was all to see, compared to Lambert (few players asside) who most are just poor, and Moyes is very loyal, yes he went to Man Utd but after 10years at Everton he deserved his chance at the then champions.

2. If Lerner does sell up to a supposed consortium of billionaires or a just a single multi billionaire who wants to invest a significant amount then sorry but Lambert and Moyes are not the way to go, both have shown they can't handle the bigger players, both prefer to work with hungry players they can develop. only manager in England who i believe could do this is don't take no shit Big Sam (but dire football and no thanks) so what to do??? we could always look abroad...

OK who is abroad.... these are just a few managers who I'd love to see be given a chance at Villa with a good backing of cash, i have no life so d tend to watch a lot of European football...

Vitor Periera: the work he done with porto was amazing, he can handle the big time charlies as AVB used to call him is enforcer, heard he's in Saudi somewhere but would love the chance at managing in England.

Tomas Tuchel: took over from Klopp at Mainz and broke his record in 1st 2 seasons at club.

Frank De Boer: rescued Ajax after Martin Jol's disaster, he a very good tactician who would like nothing more then to manage in the premier league, his record at Ajax since taking over has been 2nd to none,

Marcelo Biesla: unfortunately he's been snapped up by Marseille but he was the one i would of wanted.

Antonio Conte: anyone who knows Italian football will know what he's done at Juventus, however he'd be very hard to get him over to England, but right money and motivation could sway it.

I'm sure given more time i could come up with a lot more, if prem experience is required then obv my preferred choices would be AVB (yes struggled at Chelsea & Spurs but he's avery decent young manager), Laudrup (Swansea in europe killed him this year, also missing Michu was a massive blow), Pochettino (Southampton just ooze class) and of course who i would still love to see at Villa Benitez...

this is purely open for debate but wanted to find out if any other fans on here are similar thinking to me?

1st time topic so please be nice.

Thanks

Offline DrGonzo

Re: Why do we need British?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 10:21:10 AM »
There was discussion on R5 last night about the future of management and the fact that British leagues are the last to hold on to this idea of long term commitment from a manager.  That in Italy there was no stigma attached to a manager that only commits for a 2/3 year job and then moves on.   I can't see the advantage in that, surely stability, as long as in doesn't become inertia, is preferable to a constantly changing managerial ideology?  Any how to return to the above point I  think people still see British managers as somebody that is willing to commit to a long term stretch at a club, something we still see as positive.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 10:21:43 AM »
I'd like to see what a foreign manager could do at the Villa. We've had two so far, one of which was an experiment and another who had been away from the game for a while and was not in good health. It'd be great to find the next Pocchetino.

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 10:31:56 AM »
British Football is very parochial, that's why.

Offline abc123cox

• Villa-Till-I-Die
    • UPtheVILLA Aston Vilal Fans, News and Banter page
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 10:43:51 AM »

We're not that limited, look at Southampton or Swansea with Laurup. It's just most are more old fashioned.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 10:45:21 AM »
I'm not interested in Moyes myself, I find him dull as dishwater

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 10:46:55 AM »

I like that word

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 11:22:04 AM »

I like that word

I once had a mate who was infatuated by the word mediocrity which, he only heard for the first time in the lyrics of the Simon & Garfunkel song; Homeward Bound.  I couldn't believe he'd never heard it before.  He'd be a make a great Villa supporter now.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 11:30:07 AM »
Get the best manager you can. If he uses Villa as a stepping stone, so what? He'll have done a good job. Same with players.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 11:30:46 AM »
I have been going on about Pocchetino a few times on here , thou I think he could go Spurzz  ,  but I  noticed his win rate was not as good as I thought even with  Espanyol  .   Winning 19 and losing 17 with Soton .

I suppose still better than Lamberts  31%

Offline supertom

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 11:31:20 AM »
For me it depends on who owns the club come August. If Randy still does then I'd stick with British. Tried and tested and Moyes would of course be a far better option than Lambert, even if he has been damaged by his time at Utd. He'd still improve us.

If we get bought out I'd want us to be ambitious and approach a good foreign manager. Also under Lerner it's very evident that a total lack of footballing nous at the club means that appointing the next Pochettino would have the same liklihood as winning the Lottery two weeks running. Under Lerner I see it as a near impossibility. If he makes bad choices with the managers with known reputations domestically, then appointing an unheard of foreign coach will only end in disaster.

So it's vital any potential new owner gets proper football men at the top end of our infrastructure. Southampton are running their club very well at the moment. The had the nous to make the call on Pochettino, even though Adkins was actually doing a good job. That took balls and no small amount of nous. It's paid off. Combine that with their academy and the type of signings they make in conjunction, and it's paying dividends at the moment.
So in the event of a takeover we can go two routes. Young up and coming foreign coach, or a more established foreign coach who would cost more and perhaps only stay 1-2 years to lay foundations.

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 11:42:36 AM »
For me it depends on who owns the club come August. If Randy still does then I'd stick with British. Tried and tested and Moyes would of course be a far better option than Lambert, even if he has been damaged by his time at Utd. He'd still improve us.

If we get bought out I'd want us to be ambitious and approach a good foreign manager. Also under Lerner it's very evident that a total lack of footballing nous at the club means that appointing the next Pochettino would have the same liklihood as winning the Lottery two weeks running. Under Lerner I see it as a near impossibility. If he makes bad choices with the managers with known reputations domestically, then appointing an unheard of foreign coach will only end in disaster.

So it's vital any potential new owner gets proper football men at the top end of our infrastructure. Southampton are running their club very well at the moment. The had the nous to make the call on Pochettino, even though Adkins was actually doing a good job. That took balls and no small amount of nous. It's paid off. Combine that with their academy and the type of signings they make in conjunction, and it's paying dividends at the moment.
So in the event of a takeover we can go two routes. Young up and coming foreign coach, or a more established foreign coach who would cost more and perhaps only stay 1-2 years to lay foundations.
Agree with this, which is why I think the first appointment should be Nicola Cortese who was them man making all these decisions.

Offline LeeS

• GM : 12.01.2025
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 12:09:02 PM »
abc, you mention that Pereira and De Boer would love to manage in England. How do you know?

Offline bobdylan

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 12:15:44 PM »
Benitez, no thanks, also I doubt Moyes would come to work under current constraints even after a poor season a Man U i think he'd only come to us if there was serious cash to spend.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 12:24:33 PM »
abc, you mention that Pereira and De Boer would love to manage in England. How do you know?

I can think of a few million reasons.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal