collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Why do we need British?  (Read 10910 times)

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
Re: Why do we need British?
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2014, 12:35:09 PM »
The fact that McLeish was in the top 20 paid managers in the world when he was with us makes me think that there are plenty of managers on the continent that would be more than happy to come to us should any vacancy arise.

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 12:41:27 PM »
While I enjoy beans on toast, a bit of bangers and mash and a nice cuppa, I find myself yearning for Poule au Pot Henri IV, tagliatelle all'etrusca and a a bottle of Côte Rôtie.

Offline Breezeblock

• GM : 29.11.2024
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2014, 12:47:11 PM »
I've seen foreign managers at Villa Park - Jo Venglos & Gerard Houlier. I wasn't impressed.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2014, 12:51:43 PM »
That is like saying I have eaten snails and been force fed some some weird eastern european stew and are now ruling out all cuisine from beyond these shores.

I want a manager who will be focused on keeping the ball on the floor, teaching movement when a player is in possession, pressing the opposition everywhere on the pitch when not in possession and having skill, speed and real technical flair in the side.

I don't then care where they are from.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2014, 12:55:38 PM »
Agree with this, which is why I think the first appointment should be Nicola Cortese who was them man making all these decisions.

The main question mark about him is that they now owe a lot of money due to the transfer dealings under his stewardship.  Furthermore the youth coaches eff-ed off to Fulham when he joined (I think) so he may inadvertantly have messed up the production line of youth players too.

Regardless a football man of that job description is required, whether he is the man is hard to say from our position outside the game.

My wild card for this role would be Southgate. He has an affiliation with the club, has studied the development side of football whilst with the FA and seemingly is not interested in going into club management preferring to focus his attention in building the structure required for success (if his quotes are to be believed).  I'd even let him carry on with the U21 gig (as it'd be the perfect way to tap up players).

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2014, 01:10:38 PM »

We don't need British. We need a good progressive football manager with a good footballing ethos wherever he comes from IMHO

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2014, 01:15:21 PM »
Good call, Dante.

Offline Jarpie

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2014, 01:29:09 PM »
British coaching and managing style has become way too stale and stagnated, which IMO is partly the reason why english haven't really had top world class players in years. Tactically, with very rare exceptions, british managers are too inflexible and are still stuck on the traditional "English"-style of football and especially coaching.

When you look at many british managers who rise to the premier league, they have one or two good seasons and then they get found out and for some reason are unable or unwilling to change the way their teams play.

We've had just couple managers outside of UK and even though Houllier wasn't and still isn't popular, he had clear plan to rebuild the team and set up network of contacts, scouting etc. for someone to take over in couple of years, it's just a shame that he had heart problems before he could finish the job. I find it just staggering that Lerner chose to abandon that plan and hire TSM.

We need someone like that and I don't think there are suitable english managers to do that. Although I gotta admit that hiring Director of Football would probably be necessary for that. I wonder if Houllier is free for DOF...

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2014, 01:32:35 PM »

Frank De Boer: rescued Ajax after Martin Jol's disaster, he a very good tactician who would like nothing more then to manage in the premier league, his record at Ajax since taking over has been 2nd to none,

Thanks

Very good record at Ajax, so might be wanted by some of Europe's elite.  Saying that, if the rumoured takeover happens (very big if) then who knows.  He'd be my number one choice, as he is a big name in European football and would be coming from a club with a world renowned academy system.  The fact that he would have no baggage with any other English clubs would be a plus as well.

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2014, 01:35:09 PM »
Agree with this, which is why I think the first appointment should be Nicola Cortese who was them man making all these decisions.

The main question mark about him is that they now owe a lot of money due to the transfer dealings under his stewardship.  Furthermore the youth coaches eff-ed off to Fulham when he joined (I think) so he may inadvertantly have messed up the production line of youth players too.

Regardless a football man of that job description is required, whether he is the man is hard to say from our position outside the game.

My wild card for this role would be Southgate. He has an affiliation with the club, has studied the development side of football whilst with the FA and seemingly is not interested in going into club management preferring to focus his attention in building the structure required for success (if his quotes are to be believed).  I'd even let him carry on with the U21 gig (as it'd be the perfect way to tap up players).

With all the trend toward European 1st team coaches and shorter managerial tenures in general then it is essential that there is stability and a coherent strategy on all other footballing areas of the club. 

Southgate might be very useful in developing a structure which bridges the academy into 1st team football and which may include scouting and bringing unproven overseas talent into the club.

I don't see him as first team coach given his poor record to date.

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2014, 01:42:25 PM »
British coaching and managing style has become way too stale and stagnated, which IMO is partly the reason why english haven't really had top world class players in years. Tactically, with very rare exceptions, british managers are too inflexible and are still stuck on the traditional "English"-style of football and especially coaching.

When you look at many british managers who rise to the premier league, they have one or two good seasons and then they get found out and for some reason are unable or unwilling to change the way their teams play.

Got to disagree with the sweeping generalisations made here.  It's all about ability, objectives, supporting structures and finance - not nationality.

Rogers and Pullis are the two standout managers this season - both British, both playing very different styles of football.

Ferguson has been the most consistently successful manager in Europe over the past 20 years and he stuck with a very British style on and off the pitch.

Offline Diablo

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2014, 01:47:11 PM »
Whoever happens to be the next Villa manager (from the British Isles or from further a field) will need to be a miracle worker due to the current state the club is in (and has been for a number of years) – it’s an obvious shambles and needs reshaping from the the top down. A major overhaul.

A British manager would probably “get” the club more and possibly appreciate the history/fans and be more familiar with some of our past players. I think Lambert shows this appreciation (as did McLeish) unlike for example Houllier who whilst arguably having some progressive management, footballing ideas, in my opinion didn’t.  That isn’t to say that I don’t want a foreign manager (after witnessing the worst football I’ve ever witnessed at Villa Park under two managers who did understand and appreciate the history) I just think it’s majorly important he has an appreciation of the club and forms that bond with the fans.  It’s just one hell of a big job. 

The romantic says a foreign sexy football manager whilst the pragmatist says a British manager to help steady and improve the fast sinking,  stinking, ship.

Although the cautious approach could and probably would see us overtaken by the more progressive clubs as it has done (by the Southampton's of this world).
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 01:50:36 PM by Diablo »

Offline Doorbell

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2014, 01:50:25 PM »
If there are big changes I'd like to see a DOF brought in, especially with how managerial appointments are changing.  Head coach would be better than a manager imho.  Pick a system, philosophy, whatever.  Employ whomever we need to ensure that said system is taught and deployed from youth to first team...and stick with it, no drastic changes.  The stability should come from the club's philosophy.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2014, 01:57:41 PM »
I think we need an input from Nigel Farage here!

Offline Diablo

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2014, 02:00:12 PM »

Frank De Boer: rescued Ajax after Martin Jol's disaster, he a very good tactician who would like nothing more then to manage in the premier league, his record at Ajax since taking over has been 2nd to none,

Thanks

Very good record at Ajax, so might be wanted by some of Europe's elite.  Saying that, if the rumoured takeover happens (very big if) then who knows.  He'd be my number one choice, as he is a big name in European football and would be coming from a club with a world renowned academy system.  The fact that he would have no baggage with any other English clubs would be a plus as well.

Would be a fantastic choice (although he is contracted with Ajax until 2017) he has stated that  both Liverpool and Spurs have approached him in the past and he would be interested if the timing was right (as opposed to half way through a season). It wouldn't surprise me if he was already lined up to replace Sherwood at the end of the season. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal