collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa Sack Manager Ads  (Read 73839 times)

Offline pig

• GM : 01.04.2016
Re: Moyes sacked? Let's get him in...
« Reply #300 on: April 23, 2014, 08:42:04 AM »
I mentioned elsewhere, but I wonder if the sacking is the first signs of the Glazers wrestling control away from Fergie.

The Glazers always were in control. As Brian Green pointed out years ago, Ferguson has always backed down from confrontation with the board.

It was always in Fergusons interest to show that he was in control, but when the green and yellow scarf thing took place and fans were calling for Fergie to get involved. He went from being the union leader on the dockyards to saying it wasn't his place. In all fairness in return he got the investment and trust he needed. That should have been the sign to most Manchester United fans that Ferguson doesn't rule with an iron fist above his payscale.

I actually like David Moyes. I think he appears to be intelligent, a gentleman and a good manager. However if we were going to gamble with another manager is Moyes not just a bit like O'Neill, MacLeish and Lambert?

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #301 on: April 23, 2014, 09:00:48 AM »
Moyes is probably the best quality manager available to a club of our financial clout at this time. Unless you want to chance a foreign manager who does not have a good command of our language but can bring in foreign players cheaply.It failed with Venglos but thinking about it Vialli might be a good bet. Speaks excellent english and understands what it takes to do well in our league. Didnt do well at Watford but even Fergie had periods like that

So if we get taken over Gianluca Vialli would be a good shout.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #302 on: April 23, 2014, 09:06:48 AM »
There really isn't a great deal to choose from if we needed to replace Lambert. Do we go down the younger (british?) manager, in the hope that they can bring a bit of something unknown to the job? An Eddie Howe? but, we've seen many other clubs try that and fail: Ince at Blackburn, Bothroyd at Watford etc...
Moyes would be a steady option, he could definitley take us on from where we are now if we had a new approach/direction from a new owner, but I'm unsure if he could do it on our current setup. I do remember his Everton sides playing some excellent football against us a couple of times at Villa Park. I think his style would be an improvement on Lamberts style of play.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #303 on: April 23, 2014, 09:11:02 AM »
It's easy to hide an expensive failure if you are able to buy lots of expensive players less so when you are on a limited budget. David Moyes i could never see as a success at United he is a little like Lambert went for glory but the job was too big for him, he will still be a useful manager for a mid table side. If we carry on with Lerner then yes but if we have rich new owners a definate no.

Offline supertom

« Reply #304 on: April 23, 2014, 09:11:04 AM »
If Randy remains in charge, then Moyes is probably the best we could hope for.

A takeover opens up different possibilities potentially.

I'd welcome the latter more, even if there's the potentially scary prospect of getting a Carson Yeung or Sinatra.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #305 on: April 23, 2014, 09:24:09 AM »
Has anyone considered the possibility that Lambert is going nowhere?

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #306 on: April 23, 2014, 09:41:35 AM »

Nope.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #307 on: April 23, 2014, 09:43:14 AM »

The Daily Express has, in an item which despite the identity of the "newspaper" in which it appears has something of a depressing ring of truth about it:-

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/471870/Paul-Lambert-secure-at-Aston-Villa-despite-Randy-Lerner-uncertainty

Offline Simon Ward

« Reply #308 on: April 23, 2014, 09:45:21 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27123088

Fergie still involved. You couldn't make it up!

Offline walsall villain

« Reply #309 on: April 23, 2014, 09:50:01 AM »

The Daily Express has, in an item which despite the identity of the "newspaper" in which it appears has something of a depressing ring of truth about it:-

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/471870/Paul-Lambert-secure-at-Aston-Villa-despite-Randy-Lerner-uncertainty

Terrible scenario. I fear it's a likely one too. Takeover drags on, manager limps along in post with limited funds, players unsettled due to uncertainty.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #310 on: April 23, 2014, 10:07:37 AM »
Although having said that, on the other hand Mat Kendrick has stuck the boot in today, which suggests he might know something we don't:-

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mat-kendrick-five-point-plan-revive-7020639

Offline junxs

• http://www.avfc.co.uk
« Reply #311 on: April 23, 2014, 11:38:45 AM »
But. he spent 11 years at Goodison and only finished in the bottom half of the table twice in that time. Prior to that, Everton were a shambles. I'd take some of that at the moment.

And the very first season he leaves, his replacement gives Everton their best season in 11+ years

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #312 on: April 23, 2014, 11:44:02 AM »
Although having said that, on the other hand Mat Kendrick has stuck the boot in today, which suggests he might know something we don't:-

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mat-kendrick-five-point-plan-revive-7020639

Better late than never, Mat!

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #313 on: April 23, 2014, 11:51:58 AM »

Terrible scenario. I fear it's a likely one too. Takeover drags on, manager limps along in post with limited funds, players unsettled due to uncertainty.

If he is selling then appointing a new manager that the new owner might not want would be daft and costly. Better to leave if for the new bloke to decide what he wants to do.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #314 on: April 23, 2014, 11:52:56 AM »
How long was it before Sir Graham took the Wolves job  after England ? He was still battle scarred from the England job. For this reason id leave Moyes alone for a while.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal