collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dear Mr Woodward  (Read 3340 times)

Offline martyn ellis

• http://www.martin-martyn.co.uk
Dear Mr Woodward
« on: April 20, 2014, 04:15:23 PM »
Dear Mr Woodward,
When us poor souls who can't make it to a game only have your good self (and the good Mr Morley) to listen to for an account of the action on the good ship AVTV, could you please not assume that we can all see the images as you see them (it's RADIO, Jack). So when the ball goes out, please let us know where it's gone out and who's throw or kick it is; please also note that to accompany exclamations such as 'My word!', 'What was that all about?', 'There's a chance here' and ' that was poor', it might be useful to know a) who's got the ball, b) where they are on the pitch and c) what actually happened. Watching the Villa has been difficult enough this season. Listening to you commentate on them has made it an almost unbearable experience on the few occasions I've had to put myself through it.
And a word in your shell-like Mr Morley - there is no-one called Wiseman on our playing staff.

Offline preston28

• GM : 03.04.2016
Re: Dear Mr Woodward
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 04:17:36 PM »
Dear Mr Woodward,
When us poor souls who can't make it to a game only have your good self (and the good Mr Morley) to listen to for an account of the action on the good ship AVTV, could you please not assume that we can all see the images as you see them (it's RADIO, Jack). So when the ball goes out, please let us know where it's gone out and who's throw or kick it is; please also note that to accompany exclamations such as 'My word!', 'What was that all about?', 'There's a chance here' and ' that was poor', it might be useful to know a) who's got the ball, b) where they are on the pitch and c) what actually happened. Watching the Villa has been difficult enough this season. Listening to you commentate on them has made it an almost unbearable experience on the few occasions I've had to put myself through it.
And a word in your shell-like Mr Morley - there is no-one called Wiseman on our playing staff.

After attending yesterdays game I would say I was the poor soul for being there and not the one listening on the radio!  Did you fall asleep listening?

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 04:37:46 PM »
You're not going to get high quality commentary on a team's webcast.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 04:47:40 PM »
Why not? Jack studied hard at journalism school.

Online WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 08:26:00 PM »
I used to listen a few years ago, the worst was when Andy Blair was co-commentating

Offline eamonn

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 09:37:47 PM »
Yeah, Blair out-Woodwards Woodward on the Partridgeisms.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 09:38:13 PM »
Jack is so crap he borders on genius.

Online amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 08:58:07 AM »
Jack is so crap he borders on genius.

Agreed. He really is a real life Alan Partridge. Who uses golfing terms to describe a football match?

My favourite Jack Woodward moment, even though it led to a completely inappropriate attack of the giggles which left me feeling pretty ashamed of myself - was when he sang 'Unforgettable' at the annual Aston Villa fans memorial service. 'Unbelievable' would be a more accurate description - who on earth allowed him to think that was a good idea?

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 10:31:20 AM »
I spoke to him at Dublin airport last year. He was a really nice chap.

Offline martyn ellis

• http://www.martin-martyn.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 04:31:27 PM »
I spoke to him at Dublin airport last year. He was a really nice chap.

I am absolutely certain he's a delightful man and I actually think he's quite good on the interviews on avfc, but when he's commentating you realise what a tough job it is and how good the Radio 5Live lot really are. Don't agree Andy Blair is his worst co-commentator. Tony Morley never seems to know anything about the players or the club and asks things like 'how many games are there left now Jack?' 'what's Benteke's injury Jack?' 'How long to go now Jack?' 'Jack?' 'Jack?' It's like the proverbial annoying kid asking questions every two minutes.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 04:45:35 PM »
Ken McNaught is great though. Just drops truth bombs all the time.

Offline eamonn

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 05:01:24 PM »
Truth bombs rock.

Offline Darlo Dave

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 07:14:25 PM »
But Jack "paints pictures with words".

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal