collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Southampton (H): The post match thread  (Read 29363 times)

Offline lukey27

Re: Southampton (H): The post match thread
« Reply #165 on: April 20, 2014, 10:53:08 AM »
If Moyes / Yanited pay £30m for him then they are absolute mugs. He reminded me of a slightly better version of Nicky Shorey

It's all opinions but I thought he was the best player on the pitch.

Albrighton did better against him second half because he was picking up the ball higher up the pitch.

We worked hard enough and deserved a point, but Westwood and Delph sitting that deep in that formation is ineffective. Southampton had Wanyama sitting, but Ward-Prowse and Davis both went beyond on a number of occasions.

Think this is a lot to do with coaching, confidence and the way the team is set up.

Big changes are needed at our place in the summer.

Offline onje_villa

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #166 on: April 20, 2014, 11:18:58 AM »
Southampton have spent a reasonable ammount of money but they haven't spread it thinly across the whole squad. I think that good players raise the standards of those around them. That's why someone like Steven Davis, who wasn't considered good enough for us a few years back would have been our best midfielder today.

Obviously even if you have better players, these players need to be organised with a particular way of playing in mind. I'm not really sure what ours is supposed to be at the moment. Albrighton had the most joy of any of our players today but our strikers weren't looking for those kind of crosses (in towards the near post mostly)

Weimann actually made some great runs in the first half, pulling into space on the edges of the area, the balls then went out wide to Albrighton and there was no one on the end of the cross that came in.

Gabby and Weimann get a lot of stick, much of it deserved, but I don't think we've played either of them to their strengths, today or for most of their careers.

This is sort of what I'm saying aswell. Southampton made a decision a while ago to spend money on key areas and flesh out their squad with promosing youth on the bench e.g. chambers, Reed and Gallagher all subs for them today who are youth products.

In the summer they spent our annual 20m on Lovren (7m) and Wanayama (12m). Now Wan has lost form lately but I think he's better than what we've got and Lovren has been excellent for them in defence.

Thi season has shown we don't need to spent 20m on strenghtheing the squad if the result is Tonev, Luna, Sylla, Helenius benchwarming. Honestly the likes of Robinson, Grealish, Carruthers could've done that role.

I'd say two good midfielders in and suddenly the likes of Delph and especially Westwood will improve with the quality around them. Or one of them will be on the bench which will make our squad stronger that way.

Completely agree. Let our academy provide the young, squad players and spend what we do have on a couple of real quality players. It's so glaringly obvious it's upsetting.

Offline jembob

« Reply #167 on: April 20, 2014, 11:35:18 AM »
Southampton have spent a reasonable ammount of money but they haven't spread it thinly across the whole squad. I think that good players raise the standards of those around them. That's why someone like Steven Davis, who wasn't considered good enough for us a few years back would have been our best midfielder today.

Obviously even if you have better players, these players need to be organised with a particular way of playing in mind. I'm not really sure what ours is supposed to be at the moment. Albrighton had the most joy of any of our players today but our strikers weren't looking for those kind of crosses (in towards the near post mostly)

Weimann actually made some great runs in the first half, pulling into space on the edges of the area, the balls then went out wide to Albrighton and there was no one on the end of the cross that came in.

Gabby and Weimann get a lot of stick, much of it deserved, but I don't think we've played either of them to their strengths, today or for most of their careers.

This is sort of what I'm saying aswell. Southampton made a decision a while ago to spend money on key areas and flesh out their squad with promosing youth on the bench e.g. chambers, Reed and Gallagher all subs for them today who are youth products.

In the summer they spent our annual 20m on Lovren (7m) and Wanayama (12m). Now Wan has lost form lately but I think he's better than what we've got and Lovren has been excellent for them in defence.

Thi season has shown we don't need to spent 20m on strenghtheing the squad if the result is Tonev, Luna, Sylla, Helenius benchwarming. Honestly the likes of Robinson, Grealish, Carruthers could've done that role.

I'd say two good midfielders in and suddenly the likes of Delph and especially Westwood will improve with the quality around them. Or one of them will be on the bench which will make our squad stronger that way.

Completely agree. Let our academy provide the young, squad players and spend what we do have on a couple of real quality players. It's so glaringly obvious it's upsetting.

It does seem obvious. But then, passing the ball to your team mate seems obvious too along with moving into space to make yourself availablle. Practicing throw-ins, pressing the opposition, working on close ball control, organising the defence and being aware if any team mates are making good runs, also all seem obvious to me but have been sadly lacking for a number of seasons.

But I'm not a 'football man' so what do I know?

Offline onje_villa

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #168 on: April 20, 2014, 11:50:25 AM »

It does seem obvious. But then, passing the ball to your team mate seems obvious too along with moving into space to make yourself availablle. Practicing throw-ins, pressing the opposition, working on close ball control, organising the defence and being aware if any team mates are making good runs, also all seem obvious to me but have been sadly lacking for a number of seasons.

But I'm not a 'football man' so what do I know?

:D

Offline Brian Taylor

« Reply #169 on: April 20, 2014, 12:01:14 PM »
I think there may be a 'gardening leave' element in Lambert's contract and is the reason he may well be seeing his time out whilst he pursues alternative employ!

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #170 on: April 20, 2014, 01:02:55 PM »
Another dull game with no goals. Another point towards wheezing over the line.

Big changes needed this summer. Thankfully that seems to be on the agenda.

Offline pbavfckuwait

« Reply #171 on: April 20, 2014, 01:19:02 PM »
Someone I think mentioned in relation to Gabby 26 touches, what you have to remember is, that because his control is so piss poor, it takes him 4 touches to control it, so 26 divided by 4 equals 6.5 touches which would be about his average.
Why we thought the team after a couple of days of different training would somehow come out and be special, more creative, find space and pass to each other, is what I think we call hope or Villa madness, sub standard players will play to a sub standard level who ever they have training them, we simply have to may players not of premier league standard end off. Lets just get this shitty season over with, just as we wanted last years and the years before to end. VTID

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #172 on: April 20, 2014, 01:22:58 PM »
I organised a "guess the weight of the gravel in my front garden" competition on Facebook then I spent the afternoon making concrete. I watched it set a bit and then I had a beer. I probably had more fun than you lot at VP.

These days a point at home should have me moon-walking down the drive but all I could do was stare at my phone and shrug.

Offline martin o`who??

• Apparently I am my own worst enemy.
« Reply #173 on: April 20, 2014, 01:36:48 PM »
Considering the amount of possession we surrendered yet again, i thought the defence coped pretty well, but one shot in ninetey minutes - that is not going to bring the crowds flocking to VP. I would have taken a point before the start, so was reasonably happy with it. Will it be enough? - no.

Online Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #174 on: April 20, 2014, 02:31:37 PM »
Despite a point, the proceedings were utterly wretched.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #175 on: April 20, 2014, 03:29:46 PM »
I organised a "guess the weight of the gravel in my front garden" competition on Facebook then I spent the afternoon making concrete. I watched it set a bit and then I had a beer. I probably had more fun than you lot at VP.

These days a point at home should have me moon-walking down the drive but all I could do was stare at my phone and shrug.

I was in London. We went up the Shard, poked around Borough Market, went to the Tate Modern, then came back. Didn't look at proceedings during the match, took a look at about 6.30 on the way home, checked it on phone, felt pretty much no emotion either way, carried on with my Saturday.

For most of this year it seems that the only real emotion around this team is negative - ie sadness. It used to be that the odd day of non-sadness, the odd day off from the relentless grind of being utterly shit week after week was like a victory in itself, but at this point, I really just want the season to end so I can stop thinking about Villa for a longer period.

Offline Astral Weeks

« Reply #176 on: April 20, 2014, 04:22:23 PM »

I was in London. We went up the Shard, poked around Borough Market, went to the Tate Modern, then came back. Didn't look at proceedings during the match, took a look at about 6.30 on the way home, checked it on phone, felt pretty much no emotion either way, carried on with my Saturday.

For most of this year it seems that the only real emotion around this team is negative - ie sadness. It used to be that the odd day of non-sadness, the odd day off from the relentless grind of being utterly shit week after week was like a victory in itself, but at this point, I really just want the season to end so I can stop thinking about Villa for a longer period.
That last paragraph more or less sums up my own feelings. I didn't have a lot on yesterday, so briefly considered going to the game, then remembered my resolution earlier in the season after the Everton defeat that I wasn't going to waste any more of my money on going until there was some sign of improvement.
So I watched it online whilst following the match thread, but kind of wondered why I was bothering. Obviously I really do care whether or not we stay up, but bloody hell, we really are a hard team to love.

I love Borough Market, by the way.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #177 on: April 20, 2014, 04:56:32 PM »
Bringing the right manager in during g the summer, or, of course, a takeover, will be the only way to galvanised the club and fans. Giving Lambert proper money to invest might help, but I think he's too far gone with the reputation to spend it poorly. He can't win anymore.

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #178 on: April 20, 2014, 06:33:29 PM »
Considering the amount of possession we surrendered yet again, i thought the defence coped pretty well, but one shot in ninetey minutes - that is not going to bring the crowds flocking to VP. I would have taken a point before the start, so was reasonably happy with it. Will it be enough? - no.

3 shots on target for the whole game for both teams. Only one of these actually forced a decent save from a keeper.

Offline Steve kirk

« Reply #179 on: April 20, 2014, 07:10:40 PM »

So true Paulie, I kept away from the match and checked about 5 30, I also need a rest from it all, I wear my heart on my sleeve with the Villa and its been very draining in the last 4 seasons.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal