collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Re: Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Re: Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Takeover Thread - Recon Group - NOW WITH NEW POLL  (Read 2646873 times)

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
Re: The Takeover Thread - Recon Group - NOW WITH NEW POLL
« Reply #15120 on: May 25, 2016, 11:04:32 PM »
I think the biggest concern with him speaking as much as he has is that he isn't officially the owner yet.
I keep wondering about this too, we must be awfully confident the deal is going to go through, I mean he's on the OS, interviews everywhere. Is this because we're extremely sure of the result of the fit and proper test or is this some way of trying to influence said test?

Why wouldn't he/we be confident? If he knows he's not bankrupt, that he doesn't own more than 10% of another club, that he's not under criminal investigation etc then he's got no reason to be anything other than 100% cast-iron certain that he'll pass the test.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #15121 on: May 25, 2016, 11:18:38 PM »
Wow. A Brummie clubs fans criticising the way someone speaks English. You'd think that we'd have sympathy with that.

Anyone remember the first time Randy was heard speaking? One of the local TV stations snuck upto him at an American Footy game I think it was and he mumbled something equally in incoherent about MON being 'the man' if I recall.

Give him a chance.

Are you trying to suggest that Brummies can't speak English very well?

If so you're about as wrong as you could get, do a search of the opinion of brummie accents by people that aren't from the UK.

I spend a lot of time talking to people from all over Europe (and Mexico, Peru, Venezuela and the US) and I regularly get comments on how easy it is to understand me because the words are so clear.  I know we have a bad reputation in the UK and I used to mask my accent a lot when I started dealing with people from the South but a couple of years abroad completely changed my opinion because, and I quote "Your voice is much easier to understand when you've had a few beers, how does that work?" it took me a couple of weeks to click what it was and then I just gave up with the conscious effort of received pronunciation and I found it got  a lot easier to get my point across, especially with our russian and polish developers.

As an anecdote related to this when you're in a bar in Western Norway a few beers in and there's lots of conversations going on it sounds exactly like being in a bar in the North-East, it's a really strange feeling to not understand a word that's being said but thinking that you really should be able to.

Offline peter w

« Reply #15122 on: May 25, 2016, 11:28:11 PM »
Disagree and agree in equal measures. There's nothing worse than someone of foreign persuasion not understanding you and repeating your Brummiefied words back to you. I've had really confused looking people looking back at me saying "Oice" when I said "ice" and "Oiteen" when I said "eighteen". I had to make a conscious decision to refine my accent when speaking to those of said foreign persuasion so they could understand me and yet I do not have a particularly strong accent.

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #15123 on: May 25, 2016, 11:28:37 PM »
Wow. A Brummie clubs fans criticising the way someone speaks English. You'd think that we'd have sympathy with that.

Anyone remember the first time Randy was heard speaking? One of the local TV stations snuck upto him at an American Footy game I think it was and he mumbled something equally in incoherent about MON being 'the man' if I recall.

Give him a chance.

If so you're about as wrong as you could get, do a search of the opinion of brummie accents by people that aren't from the UK.

I spend a lot of time talking to people from all over Europe (and Mexico, Peru, Venezuela and the US) and I regularly get comments on how easy it is to understand me because the words are so clear.  I know we have a bad reputation in the UK and I used to mask my accent a lot when I started dealing with people from the South but a couple of years abroad completely changed my opinion because, and I quote "Your voice is much easier to understand when you've had a few beers, how does that work?" it took me a couple of weeks to click what it was and then I just gave up with the conscious effort of received pronunciation and I found it got  a lot easier to get my point across, especially with our russian and polish developers.

As an anecdote related to this when you're in a bar in Western Norway a few beers in and there's lots of conversations going on it sounds exactly like being in a bar in the North-East, it's a really strange feeling to not understand a word that's being said but thinking that you really should be able to.

Is that because, when people get told by the bar staff the price of a round of three halves, the only noises people can make are "whyyyyyy", "naaah waaaay maaan" and "eeeeh!"?!

N.B No offence to anybody on here with Geordie friends, natch.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 11:32:19 PM by Sexual Ealing »

Offline paul_e

« Reply #15124 on: May 25, 2016, 11:32:11 PM »
Disagree and agree in equal measures. There's nothing worse than someone of foreign persuasion not understanding you and repeating your Brummiefied words back to you. I've had really confused looking people looking back at me saying "Oice" when I said "ice" and "Oiteen" when I said "eighteen". I had to make a conscious decision to refine my accent when speaking to those of said foreign persuasion so they could understand me and yet I do not have a particularly strong accent.

Maybe my accent is a bit softer because I don't pronounce either of those words like that, might be why my experience is so positive.  The only one that did give some confusion in Norway is my use of the word buzz to describe a bus.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #15125 on: May 25, 2016, 11:35:57 PM »

Give him a chance.

Is that because, when people get told by the bar staff the price of a round of three halves, the only noises people can make are "whyyyyyy", "naaah waaaay maaan" and "eeeeh!"?!

N.B No offence to anybody on here with Geordie friends, natch.

Nah, that's just a little whimper and then a shrug of acceptance.  What is good with that is that you can use it to recognise people who've never been to Norway before because they all get a slightly glazed look whilst they try to run the exchange rate in their head and then a look over each shoulder to see if anyone is pranking them once they work it out.  For anyone who doesn't know for the local lager that would be about £15 (halves remember) and if you drink something like guinness it'll sting you for over £20.

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #15126 on: May 25, 2016, 11:38:53 PM »
Nothing new about the Takeover, then.
oh, come Ooooon!

I want to sign players and get a new manager! And as Eric Morecambe has it, not necessarily in that order, sunshine!

This has been my daily check in to this bit of H&V.

The accent debate is quite interesting, though. Carry on.

Offline peter w

« Reply #15127 on: May 25, 2016, 11:40:56 PM »

Maybe my accent is a bit softer because I don't pronounce either of those words like that, might be why my experience is so positive.  The only one that did give some confusion in Norway is my use of the word buzz to describe a bus.

Well neither do I. Or so I thought. Until said people repeated what they thought they had heard. It was like listening to yourself on an answer machine or the radio. Truly gruesome.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #15128 on: May 25, 2016, 11:46:54 PM »

Give him a chance.

My experience on this question has been much the same.

I remember a Glaswegian teacher of German telling us he found it very difficult to teach pupils from the Home Counties to pronounce the "U" vowel required to be understood in that language.  Short sharp vowel sounds, the strong pronunciation of consonants and the disdain of the glottal stop stands the Birmingham accent in good stead when it comes to making yourself understood to Johnny Foreigner or learning his language.

My wife is from the Mid West of the USA, and when she first heard an English actor saying the word "bloke", which has very little if any usage over there, she would ask "What the hell word was that? ". To her, it sounded like they were saying "blay".  On the other hand, you soon find yourself rolling the the trailing "R" on certain words if you want a beer with the least hassle.  Bee ah doesn't cut it unless you are on the east coast. I had an Irish accent when I was young, so that was not much of an adjustment.

It must be conceded though, that the harshest versions of all regional dialects are mostly incomprehensible to outsiders, which is probably their raison d'etre.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #15129 on: May 26, 2016, 12:27:35 AM »

Give him a chance.
As a born n bred Brummie living in the inner city and supporting Birmingham's finest football club I would never apologise for my accent. It's a British thing to categorize people just because of an accent. An attitude promoted by the Birmingham/midlands  hating BBC. And I'd like to add I think The Doc has been doing an impressive job conducting interviews in English. (as I've said numerous times)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 12:31:36 AM by The Edge »

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #15130 on: May 26, 2016, 05:05:53 AM »
Good Morning all. Another day of wild speculation awaits us and by midnight we will still be completely in the dark about anything!

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #15131 on: May 26, 2016, 05:19:14 AM »
Good Morning all. Another day of wild speculation awaits us and by midnight we will still be completely in the dark about anything!

Not about our accent we won't:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2779725/Revealed-Why-Brummie-accent-loved-Britain-five-things-didn-t-know-British-accents.html

Offline pbavfckuwait

« Reply #15132 on: May 26, 2016, 05:55:02 AM »
Alot of the problem is our British lack of understanding how Chinese business works, I have had numerous personal business transactions with Chinese here in Oman, I have always found them to be enthusiastic, do as they are asked, honest and work very hard to please, so much better than the Russian and African ladies that work the manor.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #15133 on: May 26, 2016, 06:53:34 AM »
Before the accent discussion fades my accent, of which I am very proud, has become panel beaten by many years of travel and living among strangers.  However, as time has passed the biggest, and growing, obstacle to clear communication with others including my son's Norwegian in laws has become vocabulary.  A typical example was the other day on this forum when I could not understand why such outrage had ensued over the use of a racist word that was used in my youth in Birmingham derived from the past tense of the verb to flare meaning a tantrum.

Younger Brummies do not know what I mean by "Gansey" (Guernsey or Jersey, a heavy woollen pullover) or "Tun dish" (a metal funnel) or "Boards" (timber fence) "Suff or Suff hole" (a foul drain) or "Miskin" (variously a dustbin or refuse receptacle) or "Push bike" (bicycle, Bike meaning motor cycle) or "Pudding bag" (a cul de sac) to recall only a few changes of Birmingham vocabulary.

I was struck by this language ebb and flow when a brilliant poster on here the other day described the noses as "all over Tony Xia like cockroaches in a Small Heath pantry".  Outside my house I have not heard  the word pantry used for donkey's years except by the butler in Downtown Abbey.

This post has been a nightmare confrontation with predictive spelling.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 06:56:52 AM by brian green »

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #15134 on: May 26, 2016, 07:40:28 AM »
When I was in Lyon a few weeks ago I played pool against a Frenchman and a Geordie and I could easily understand the Frenchman better.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal