collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Takeover Thread - Recon Group - NOW WITH NEW POLL  (Read 2653337 times)

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
Re: The Still Current Lack of an Imminent Takeover Thread WITH EVEN NEWER POLL
« Reply #8055 on: August 20, 2014, 01:07:02 PM »
Think this will spell the end of our 2 ST's for less than £500 run. Shame as despite the god awful home form we've had 3 or 4 years of very cheap seats.

Offline onje_villa

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #8056 on: August 20, 2014, 01:08:43 PM »
I'd take a pay-per-goal ST any day!

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #8057 on: August 20, 2014, 01:18:25 PM »
The difference for me between 2006 and now, is that this appointment has at least got a football background to fall back on. That Randy is that much older, wiser and hopefully will have learnt from his experiences in the PL. That under FFP we need to grow our revenues substantially to compete and that Fox brings that to the table. We still need a football person that is tied to the game to oversee other aspects of the club but this is a good first step. Whether or not this signifies any development in the sale of the club none of us really know. Ultimately though, this is a positive move at the club which appears as settled as one could hope it to be while still for sale.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #8058 on: August 20, 2014, 02:02:43 PM »
Think this will spell the end of our 2 ST's for less than £500 run. Shame as despite the god awful home form we've had 3 or 4 years of very cheap seats.

The prices will only go up if we can sell tickets. Arsenal sell out regardless so they can charge whatever they like.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #8059 on: August 20, 2014, 02:15:52 PM »
Looks a promising sign but surprised more people aren't put off by having another "non-football" man at the top. By all accounts Paul Faulkner did an excellent job commercially at Villa but we've struggled desperately on the pitch.

Surely Fox is coming here as CEO is a bigger job than CFO, not because of any great sign of things to come.

That's what I think. He looks to be a big hitter on the marketing side, similar to the people we hoped Randy was bringing with him in 2006 but the footballing "he talks, they listen" aspect may be missing. 

It supports the theory that Randy sees the manager and CEO as being on the same level, but one is focussed on the commercial side and one on the footballing side.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #8060 on: August 20, 2014, 03:16:33 PM »
Lambert, Keane, backroom staff,1st team reserves and youth team coaches they are the football men at a Villa

All this call for a football man is utter bolocks, and I said the same when Faulkener was here

Offline onje_villa

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #8061 on: August 20, 2014, 03:21:57 PM »
Lambert, Keane, backroom staff,1st team reserves and youth team coaches they are the football men at a Villa

All this call for a football man is utter bolocks, and I said the same when Faulkener was here

I think the concern is that as Randy would appear to have a very limited football knowledge he has no-one to advise him on the appointment of managers and other football matters.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #8062 on: August 20, 2014, 03:43:33 PM »
Looks a promising sign but surprised more people aren't put off by having another "non-football" man at the top. By all accounts Paul Faulkner did an excellent job commercially at Villa but we've struggled desperately on the pitch.

Surely Fox is coming here as CEO is a bigger job than CFO, not because of any great sign of things to come.

That's what I think. He looks to be a big hitter on the marketing side, similar to the people we hoped Randy was bringing with him in 2006 but the footballing "he talks, they listen" aspect may be missing. 

It supports the theory that Randy sees the manager and CEO as being on the same level, but one is focussed on the commercial side and one on the footballing side.

I've been pretty certain of that for a couple of years, every interview with Lambert and Faulkner where the management structure was hinted at always had Lambert reporting directly to Lerner and Faulkner rarely made any mention of football matters.

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #8063 on: August 20, 2014, 05:01:27 PM »

I've been pretty certain of that for a couple of years, every interview with Lambert and Faulkner where the management structure was hinted at always had Lambert reporting directly to Lerner and Faulkner rarely made any mention of football matters.

I think you're closer there than you might imagine.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #8064 on: August 20, 2014, 05:48:56 PM »

Indeed.  If you look at the recent video of him, it's heavy with classic US sports marketing jargon like "leveraging brand equity" and the like.  Still, it's a step in the right direction.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #8065 on: August 20, 2014, 05:50:25 PM »
It is indeed.

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #8066 on: August 20, 2014, 05:57:02 PM »
Maybe bringing Roy Keane in will mean Lambert becomes more of a DoF. 

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #8067 on: August 20, 2014, 06:02:54 PM »
Who exactly is a 'football man' in these kind of positions. He (hopefully) is coming in to maximise incoming finance for the club and to make sure that behind the scenes everything is running smoothly. An excellent, proven, addition to the team.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #8068 on: August 20, 2014, 07:36:20 PM »
Arsenal was a pretty easy sell for him, he's got his work cut out if randy is here long term.

Offline LTA

« Reply #8069 on: August 20, 2014, 07:36:25 PM »

Yes, but surely you need someone on the board who can sell the club to a player and offer terms that are right for all parties.

The MON affair should teach us a lesson that you don't let the manager deal with that.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal