collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Takeover Thread - Recon Group - NOW WITH NEW POLL  (Read 2646742 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
I doubt it will rival the big 3 for a while yet due to their sport's psyche being entrenched in the need for there to be a winner in  match. Plus, they're used to big scores rather than 0-0. Whilst World Cup's are one thing a mid-table or bottom  of the table clash (with no relegation) will soon be a turn off.

I had an American friend on FB send me a message after one WC group game asking why the game was allowed to end in a tie (as they put it).

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
I intended to state also that I am not keen on Southgate having a position of responsibility at Villa.   He was totally disloyal to the club and encouraged others to behave in the same way.  I suspect that when he took the Villa side out at Wembley for our cup final he genuinely believed that he would be playing for our opponents within a month or two.   He certainly played as though he had only half a mind on the job in hand.

Offline peter w

To be fair it has just picked up some TV deal worth (I think I read) $160m. A start.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
To be fair it has just picked up some TV deal worth (I think I read) $160m. A start.

To put it into comparison, that is lower than the annual New York Yankees wage bill.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
Isn't there major growth in America of Latin Americans (Hispanics) as well as other minorities,
All more desposed to football

Offline brian green

The other motor which will drive football in the United States is its appeal to women as players and spectators.   During my time in America I was very aware of how much more emancipated women are than in just about every other country.   Rupert Murdoch is on record in the early days of Sky (in Britain) as saying that if he got "the head of the household" the rest of the family would fall in line.   Hence the majoring on sport, especially football.   It was already a winning formula for his tabloid with its tits and bums.   Americans are not so fond of a sexist agenda. In my opinion.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
For what it's worth I think the game in the US will grow steadily over the next couple of decades and become a major force in there sporting affections, and rival even the big 3 sports over there

Why because it's the greatest game in the world, it's the beautiful game, everyone knows that,
 Americans are just a bit late coming to the party, as at other times in their history

What it will do is slowly but steadily grow in popularity just as it did anywhere it first started. Not sure it is capable of overtaking MLB and NFL though. NHL and NBA has a chance attendance wise because of the type of sports they are they don't have massive stadiums. The big clue though isn't attendances but wages. MLS wages are dwarfed by the other sports. Until it starts picking up big TV deals it is always going to be minor compared to the others.

I think you're missing the point or at least the original reason for bringing up Soccer's new popularity in the US (it wasn't me, so I'm guessing here).  Soccer will probably never be the biggest sport in the US but if you're an insanely rich guy looking to invest in a sport then you're better off investing $300m in a smaller sport which is growing say 10% year on year than the biggest sport (but one that is showing no organic growth). 

Offline peter w

Why? Where's the return unless TV companies splash serious money? There are no transfer fees so a club can't develop an academy and then sell to Europe a la the Brazillian model. They (MLS) are a long way from being in a position of appealing to very rich owners.

Offline edgysatsuma89

For those in the USofA, what's the average cost of a ticket?

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Southgate? Player of the year the season he spent on the transfer list. Model pro, great player, decent fella.

Offline The Laughing Policeman

• GM : 25.03.2017
Just had a look on the FC Dallas site and tickets for Sunday's game against Vancouver Whitecaps in Vancouver start at $25 up to $150.   And for their next home game against Colorado Rapids, tickets start at $24 up to $103.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
Just had a look on the FC Dallas site and tickets for Sunday's game against Vancouver Whitecaps in Vancouver start at $25 up to $150.   And for their next home game against Colorado Rapids, tickets start at $24 up to $103.

I pay ~$50 at Earthquakes when I go. Central location. Great seats.

Offline brian green

Southgate model pro? What was all that slagging off the club as "having no ambition"? And making sure Ugo and Boateng went with him to Middlesborough. Wanker. In my opinion naturally.

Offline peter w

Couldn't agree more.

Offline edgysatsuma89

I pay ~$50 at Earthquakes when I go. Central location. Great seats.

Cheers people. Not too bad then (comparably).

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal