collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Takeover Thread - Recon Group - NOW WITH NEW POLL  (Read 2654630 times)

Offline sirlordbaltimore

Re: Anyone else heard this?
« Reply #855 on: April 21, 2014, 01:16:58 PM »
I wonder if Everton fans have enjoyed their season more than those of Man City/Chelsea.

Alternatively, which of those three teams supporters have enjoyed themselves celebrating winning stuff over the last decade ?. Everton are playing great football and have a really good team/manager. They still haven't won owt or are ever likely to regardless.

What a terrible prospect we face should any of these rumours have any actual substance to them.

I can just imagine an Everton fan right now, faced with the same speculation about their club going 'Nah, lets stick as we are soft lad"

Better still, ask Chelsea fans who have been priced out of their own ground if it was really worth it.

Seems pretty full every week to me

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #856 on: April 21, 2014, 01:21:33 PM »
I just want us to have players who are - at the very least - good enough. The current squad includes too many who clearly are not good enough.

yep, and the crazy thing is even as recently as under McLeish we were actually going after players we had all heard of. Now, I'll temper that by saying we flushed mountains of cash away on the wrong players. But relatively speaking it was still mountains of cash. This is a criticism of Lambert more than Randy but he took whatever cash Randy gave him and went after very exclusively unknown players where sometimes it worked and when it didn't it, well it was just bad. You've said before as we all have it was just too much too fast in terms of cuts and direction, and we are left with a new rebuilding job. Whoever comes in now will have to take that on the chin and quickly get us back to a solid footing. The same direction again next year and we'd go for sure. In fact two more games this year and I'm convinced we'd be relegated.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #857 on: April 21, 2014, 01:23:32 PM »
From CNBC:

"It turns out Simpson is one of the world's biggest coin collectors. Last year, he paid $1.7 million for a rare cent."

Bloody idiot. Still, Randy spunked £9million on Habib Beye.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #858 on: April 21, 2014, 01:33:00 PM »
I just want us to have players who are - at the very least - good enough. The current squad includes too many who clearly are not good enough.

yep, and the crazy thing is even as recently as under McLeish we were actually going after players we had all heard of. Now, I'll temper that by saying we flushed mountains of cash away on the wrong players. But relatively speaking it was still mountains of cash. This is a criticism of Lambert more than Randy but he took whatever cash Randy gave him and went after very exclusively unknown players where sometimes it worked and when it didn't it, well it was just bad. You've said before as we all have it was just too much too fast in terms of cuts and direction, and we are left with a new rebuilding job. Whoever comes in now will have to take that on the chin and quickly get us back to a solid footing. The same direction again next year and we'd go for sure. In fact two more games this year and I'm convinced we'd be relegated.

Lerner said himself that Lambert has been operating under the terms he imposed, i.e. cutting the wage bill. In that case I don't think he had much choice but to go for relative unknowns.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #859 on: April 21, 2014, 01:33:58 PM »
From CNBC:

"It turns out Simpson is one of the world's biggest coin collectors. Last year, he paid $1.7 million for a rare cent."

Bloody idiot. Still, Randy spunked £9million on Habib Beye.

makes me feel better about the crap my wife buys

Offline damon loves JT

• GM : 31.08.2016
« Reply #860 on: April 21, 2014, 01:37:26 PM »
Off the pitch yes, but the real difference are the super rich that came in to buy a PL club. On the pitch it's still the same game, I hate Sky using terms like - top goal scorer in PL history....as if everything that happened before is irrelevant

Pretty soon they will use the phrase 'top scorer in the modern era,' the way they talk about Wimbledon and the fucking Boat Race

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #861 on: April 21, 2014, 01:59:35 PM »

Lerner said himself that Lambert has been operating under the terms he imposed, i.e. cutting the wage bill. In that case I don't think he had much choice but to go for relative unknowns.

As much as I understand that, he still didn't have to totally bomb out certain players, and he could have been better in the market in getting some experienced players. Relative unknowns is one thing, but in hindsight I'd rather he played some of our youth and reserves and spent what little he had on some experience. It was all or nothing and it didn't need to be so drastic.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #862 on: April 21, 2014, 02:08:02 PM »
I'd go with that, the failure to get in more players in January was neglectful.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #863 on: April 21, 2014, 02:08:25 PM »
Off the pitch yes, but the real difference are the super rich that came in to buy a PL club. On the pitch it's still the same game, I hate Sky using terms like - top goal scorer in PL history....as if everything that happened before is irrelevant

Pretty soon they will use the phrase 'top scorer in the modern era,' the way they talk about Wimbledon and the fucking Boat Race

Depends on your age of course but as far as I am concerned 'the modern era' started in the 1960's along with pop music and clothes. Chico Hamilton was the epitome of the modern man.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #864 on: April 21, 2014, 02:12:38 PM »

As much as I understand that, he still didn't have to totally bomb out certain players, and he could have been better in the market in getting some experienced players. Relative unknowns is one thing, but in hindsight I'd rather he played some of our youth and reserves and spent what little he had on some experience. It was all or nothing and it didn't need to be so drastic.

I don't think that was an option. Experienced players would have expected a wage that we were not going to pay at that point, Lerner pretty much confirmed that yesterday.

I still maintain that our undoing has been a series of injuries to key players throughout the season, without which we would be comfortably mid table. Every club has to deal with players being unavailable but we have been particularly hard hit, I doubt there has been a single occasion he has been able to name the first choice team. It gets boring seeing that trotted out all the time but that doesn't mean that it isn't true,

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #865 on: April 21, 2014, 02:26:51 PM »

I don't think that was an option. Experienced players would have expected a wage that we were not going to pay at that point, Lerner pretty much confirmed that yesterday.

I still maintain that our undoing has been a series of injuries to key players throughout the season, without which we would be comfortably mid table. Every club has to deal with players being unavailable but we have been particularly hard hit, I doubt there has been a single occasion he has been able to name the first choice team. It gets boring seeing that trotted out all the time but that doesn't mean that it isn't true,

The injuries haven't helped but there have been times when we've only been without Okore and still lost games we should have won. I think if we were on 42-44 points, I think that would have been accepted by the majority of us. There's no way we should be wondering what division we'll be in with 5 games to go.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #866 on: April 21, 2014, 02:31:51 PM »
I respect the pro Lambert group's loyalty but everyone has to factor in injuries. he simply bought pretty badly with what money he had, and that, coupled with not strengthening in January,  completely alienating more experienced players that could have helped steady the ship, and  the inane purchase of Grant Holt (which in turn demotivated players like Helenius) all conspired against him. The game's up for your man.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #867 on: April 21, 2014, 02:39:07 PM »
Moyes getting sacked?    Do they want Lambert ?

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #868 on: April 21, 2014, 02:43:19 PM »
Just had a quick search on this Ray Davis chap. Pissed myself laughing as it appears Randy is a media whore compared to Davis, so the thought of Pat Murphy requesting an interview with the new chairman will be one to look forward to.

Other than that, Davis is strictly a businessman, priding himself on the people he puts in position rather than his actual decision making. It will be an investment for him, nothing else. Don't expect to see him at Villa Park, he won't be there. Don't expect to hear anything from him, he doesn't speak to the press. Don't expect lots of money thrown at the club, it won't happen.

Do expect somebody on the board that understands football inside out.

Online Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #869 on: April 21, 2014, 02:45:28 PM »
Moyes getting sacked?    Do they want Lambert ?

No but they're sending a plane for McLeish.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal