collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:09:59 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by Meanwood Villa
[Today at 09:07:06 AM]

FFP by LeeS
[Today at 08:33:24 AM]

International Rugby by nigel
[Today at 07:38:44 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[March 18, 2024, 11:00:20 PM]

Press-ing on by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[March 18, 2024, 10:48:26 PM]

Luton A by purpletrousers
[March 18, 2024, 10:24:29 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Takeover Thread - Recon Group - NOW WITH NEW POLL  (Read 2644752 times)

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: The Takeover Thread - Recon Group - NOW WITH NEW POLL
« Reply #17925 on: December 16, 2016, 04:18:30 PM »
Come on Pete, we need pro-Brummies not pedantic-Petes.

It's just part of our DNA I'm afraid.

Blimey, I only corrected a detail of a post, there was nothing anti-Brummie at all. Yours, Flummoxed, from Great Barr.

I just thought that by your location and the fancy manager there that we missed out on, that you didn't care no more.

Online darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #17926 on: December 16, 2016, 04:40:36 PM »
A moving story Axl.

Offline Pete

« Reply #17927 on: December 17, 2016, 03:04:07 PM »
Come on Pete, we need pro-Brummies not pedantic-Petes.

It's just part of our DNA I'm afraid.

Blimey, I only corrected a detail of a post, there was nothing anti-Brummie at all. Yours, Flummoxed, from Great Barr.

I just thought that by your location and the fancy manager there that we missed out on, that you didn't care no more.

Got you. Living in Yorkshire and knowing where William McGregor held his meeting makes me look like I don't care. Makes perfect sense now!

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #17928 on: December 18, 2016, 08:18:00 AM »
In that Guraidan 'alt-culture in Birmingham' article where Percy and a one or two of us have left comments, someone came on to 'point out' that Aston Villa 'were co-founders' . When told/reminded of McGregor's role in instigating the meeting the reply was 'but the first meeting was in London though'. A perfect example of people trying to steer the narrative away from its rightful focus.

That was me - and was in no way intended to steer the narrative from its focus. Percy said McGregor called the meeting in Manchester - as a dedicated pedant, I had to point out that it was London (the Manchester meeting was a follow-up to finalise details). I in no way contradicted the point that the meeting was instigated by McGregor, just its location.

Puts fingers in ears and just repeats "no it's another symbol of the anti-villa and anti-Birmingham media and general populace"

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #17929 on: December 18, 2016, 10:38:48 PM »
In that Guraidan 'alt-culture in Birmingham' article where Percy and a one or two of us have left comments, someone came on to 'point out' that Aston Villa 'were co-founders' . When told/reminded of McGregor's role in instigating the meeting the reply was 'but the first meeting was in London though'. A perfect example of people trying to steer the narrative away from its rightful focus.

That was me - and was in no way intended to steer the narrative from its focus. Percy said McGregor called the meeting in Manchester - as a dedicated pedant, I had to point out that it was London (the Manchester meeting was a follow-up to finalise details). I in no way contradicted the point that the meeting was instigated by McGregor, just its location.

Puts fingers in ears and just repeats "no it's another symbol of the anti-villa and anti-Birmingham media and general populace"

Can I just say that I had no problem being corrected by Pete on this.

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #17930 on: December 19, 2016, 08:07:25 AM »
I mentioned it because I felt that Pete's correction took the Birmingham/Aston Villa spin off Percy's statement. I think it is better to say Aston Villa and McGregor set the ball rolling rather than we were part of a meeting in London.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #17931 on: December 19, 2016, 08:25:13 AM »
That London meeting with the right script and the right actors could make a very good fictionalised documentary.  In my imagination William McGregor was a very dour Scot but I the others from other clubs were possibly very different giving opportunities for dramatic albeit stereotypical football/provincial humour.  A bit like the play (The Golden Dream?) in which a group of Everton fans borrow a removal to go to the Cup Final but with whiskers and stove pipe hats.

Offline Pete

« Reply #17932 on: December 19, 2016, 10:01:20 AM »

Can I just say that I had no problem being corrected by Pete on this.

Thank you Percy, appreciated.  I just wish I'd reiterated the McGregor element of your message in my post , then I might not have been seen as disloyal.

Offline Pete

« Reply #17933 on: December 19, 2016, 10:06:16 AM »
I mentioned it because I felt that Pete's correction took the Birmingham/Aston Villa spin off Percy's statement. I think it is better to say Aston Villa and McGregor set the ball rolling rather than we were part of a meeting in London.

I would agree, BE. If that was actually what I'd said.

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #17934 on: December 19, 2016, 10:28:44 AM »
Sorry, didn't mean to misrepresent what you said. I will hold my peace on the matter. :-)

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #17935 on: June 06, 2018, 10:14:24 AM »
Is a takeover the best option, or hope Xia can sort it out?

I doubt we'll see Shit Shoes again.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #17936 on: June 06, 2018, 10:24:38 AM »
I'm leaning towards take over , even if Xia can get some cash the fact he has overseen this mess leads me to have no confidence in him to run the club

Needs to go and quickly

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #17937 on: June 06, 2018, 10:41:04 AM »
Agbonlahor, Richards and N'Zogbia etc could probably buy us out with all the money we've thrown at them.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #17938 on: June 06, 2018, 11:00:31 AM »
What galls me more than anything else is the reality that at this point in time we potentially have less financial clout than the likes of Bourenmouth,Huddersfield, Watford and Burnley
Just how far has our club sunk and are we plunging to even further depths? It reeks of continued gross mismanagement

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #17939 on: June 06, 2018, 11:04:49 AM »
We could end up with nothing. But as long as there's a club, there will always be a chance you'll reach the heights again. Huddersfield are an excellent example, as are Brighton. It's shit, and could be for years, but the important thing right now is existence.

I cannot believe I am having to type that, by the way.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal