collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Lerner/Lambert v Ellis/O'Leary  (Read 33388 times)

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Lerner/Lambert v Ellis/O'Leary
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2014, 11:46:19 AM »
Ellis was prepared to face the wrath of the supporters. Lerner is never seen.

this. at least ellis took the flak.

we had our worst ever league defeat in our 139 year history, and the worst home league records are tumbling by the season.

does lerner even raise an eyelid? does he fuck!

you've got more chance of bumping into lerner on bond street, than you have at villa park.

He took a lot more than the flak. About £50 million, for a start.

Dave, I don't think most fans ever think or care much about that. I don't want to re-write history but you could never doubt Ellis's love for the club, the fact he dedicated much of his life and was there every day, the fact he felt the pain of losing as much as the fans, and even though he never really had the vision, wanted us to be challenging the top sides. He also had Steve Stride, a top administrator who helped to project a positive image of the club.

Today, I'm not sure where the club is going. The fans care passionately but it doesn't feel like the club does.
O
The greatest stroke Doug Ellis ever pulled was to convince supporters he cared as much about the Villa as they do. Of course he was there every day - he was (very well) paid to be there.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2014, 11:48:40 AM »

we had our worst ever league defeat in our 139 year history, and the worst home league records are tumbling by the season.

you've got more chance of bumping into lerner on bond street, than you have at villa park.

Dave, I don't think most fans ever think or care much about that. I don't want to re-write history but you could never doubt Ellis's love for the club, the fact he dedicated much of his life and was there every day, the fact he felt the pain of losing as much as the fans, and even though he never really had the vision, wanted us to be challenging the top sides. He also had Steve Stride, a top administrator who helped to project a positive image of the club.

Today, I'm not sure where the club is going. The fans care passionately but it doesn't feel like the club does.
O
The greatest stroke Doug Ellis ever pulled was to convince supporters he cared as much about the Villa as they do. Of course he was there every day - he was (very well) paid to be there.

You make it sound like it's a crime to be paid for your job.
Perhaps we should start paying Lerner a wage. Maybe then he'd bother to turn up for the odd game.

Online nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2014, 11:50:14 AM »

O

I'm guessing you have inside knowledge because I'm inclined to believe he did care and he loves the club. He gets to more games than I do and I've been going for 40 years.

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2014, 11:56:06 AM »

O

I'm guessing you have inside knowledge because I'm inclined to believe he did care and he loves the club. He gets to more games than I do and I've been going for 40 years.

Oh of course he cared for the club! He was a complete pain in the arse at times, a penny pincher and he held us back at times as well, but no one will convince me he didn't care for the Villa. He certainly would have cared enough to rid the club of Lambert way before now as well. Meanwhile Lerner sits on his arse somewhere in the US and continues to let Lambert humiliate the club and its fans on a weekly basis.
So much for having a caring owner.

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2014, 12:02:47 PM »

O

Perhaps we should start paying Lerner a wage. Maybe then he'd bother to turn up for the odd game.

Exactly, it was his job.

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2014, 12:08:34 PM »

O

Exactly, it was his job.

It's not his job anymore, yet still he puts Lerner to shame when it comes to turning up to games.
How long is it now, Dave, 16 months since he last sat at Villa Park for a match? What a disgrace.
Meanwhile the Villa stumble from one disaster to another.

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2014, 12:12:08 PM »
And what difference would it make if the owner was at every game? Paul Faulkner and Robin Russell are there, so by your benchmark they care every bit as much as Doug ever did.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2014, 12:13:09 PM »
Is it me, or are the same people spitting bile at our current chairman the same people defending Doug?

Has the world gone fucking mad? Try and think of the shit we'd be in if he was still in charge, we hadn't got a pot to piss in by the time he left, and I think I stand on solid ground when I say he was unlikely to inject his own funds to keep us going.

His love for the Villa would fall well behind his love for money or himself.

Dave, do you still have that '101 reasons to hate your chairman' knocking about.

Offline saunders_heroes

« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2014, 12:15:47 PM »
And what difference would it make if the owner was at every game? Paul Faulkner and Robin Russell are there, so by your benchmark they care every bit as much as Doug ever did.

Faulkner and Russell are nobodies. Lerner is the chairman and he should be at the games to see the rubbish we have to put up with. Perhaps then he'd get a grip and realise where the club is heading.

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2014, 12:16:03 PM »
Is it me, or are the same people spitting bile at our current chairman the same people defending Doug?

Has the world gone fucking mad? Try and think of the shit we'd be in if he was still in charge, we hadn't got a pot to piss in by the time he left, and I think I stand on solid ground when I say he was unlikely to inject his own funds to keep us going.

Dave, do you still have that '101 reasons to hate your chairman' knocking about.

No, but I'm sure a couple of solicitors would be interested if it ever re-surfaced.

Offline andyaston

« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2014, 12:16:57 PM »
I have to agree with people on here. The fans are not listened to, its almost like a wall of silence, no one answers our questions and we as well as fans, are customers treated almost like those of eBay or Amazon. Lerner shows no interest, his old mate Krulak did one pretty early on when the going got a little tough and Faulkner does cut and paste press releases or interviews. We have no direction and are becoming a laughing stock especially at our beloved home ground where the majority of games the away fans take the piss!

Our history is the only thing keeping us going with any sort of pride.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2014, 12:17:04 PM »
The malaise at the club stems from the top. We are a leaderless club.

Doug had his problems as has been pointed out. One of his strengths was that people were held to account.

Today you just feel that we are drifting with nobody with the nous to impose a standard or the ability to get somebody in to sort us out. Sure we got relegated in the past but we fought back and re-established ourselves at the top.

I have zero confidence in the powers that be to arrest this decline. Moreover, it baffles me how people can talk about where we were drifting in 2005/06 and blame Ellis and yet absolve Faulkner and Lerner for both the points haul of the last two seasons, and for assembling a squad which is not competing in the top half of the table.

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2014, 12:18:52 PM »

No, the debate is being driven onto the rocks. It should not be an either/or debate. It is being driven there by Randy's supporters. Doug's time has come and gone and had its highs and lows just as Randy's has. It shouldn't even be a 'board out' debate.

It should be assessing the stewardship of the current regime and where it has taken us, and where it is possibly leading us.

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2014, 12:19:38 PM »
I have to agree with people on here. The fans are not listened to, its almost like a wall of silence, no one answers our questions and we as well as fans, are customers treated almost like those of eBay or Amazon. Lerner shows no interest, his old mate Krulak did one pretty early on when the going got a little tough and Faulkner does cut and paste press releases or interviews. We have no direction and are becoming a laughing stock especially at our beloved home ground where the majority of games the away fans take the piss!

Our history is the only thing keeping us going with any sort of pride.

And what notice did Ellis take?

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2014, 12:21:00 PM »

To his credit, he usually sacked a disastrous manager when he saw they were losing control / or out of their depth.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal