collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Re: Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Re: Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Lerner/Lambert v Ellis/O'Leary  (Read 33171 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Lerner/Lambert v Ellis/O'Leary
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2014, 08:25:08 AM »
 That is because Ellis pocketed a bundle when we went public and was legally obligated under the Companies Act to hold pesky AGM's where he pretended to listen to shareholders. Much good it did us.

I know this isn't the thrust of Leighton's post and its more Chicago's revision of history, but I hold Ellis in utter contempt for his failure to move as Edwards did in 1992 and that cost us more than anything. Arguably a far more significant failure than Ellis dismantling the European Cup winning side and seeing us relegated, as Taylor had us bouncing back in double quick time. Now, because of the corner shop mentality, our chance has gone forever.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2014, 08:35:08 AM »
You can't blame Ellis for Lerner's ineptitude. We may never be able to stand up against the oil barons but should be doing a fuck sight better against some of the dross that we are losing to now.
How can anyone want us to be run by a recluse?

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2014, 08:49:42 AM »
This is like offering me the choice the Ducking Stool or being Hung, Drawn and Quartered.

At least with Ducking Stool if you die you are posthumously considered innocent. I'll go with Lerner / Lambert.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2014, 08:59:07 AM »
You can't blame Ellis for Lerner's ineptitude. We may never be able to stand up against the oil barons but should be doing a fuck sight better against some of the dross that we are losing to now.

I am blaming Ellis for his own ineptitude.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2014, 09:04:42 AM »
As long as the club is being run well and the right people are being appointed I couldn't really care if Lerner wanted to live as a hermit in Tibet.

It's that the first two of those don't seem to be happening that is the problem.

Spurs seem to have been very well-run (this season notwithstanding) over the past half dozen years and I couldn't even tell you what their owner looks like.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 09:27:22 AM by Dave »

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2014, 09:24:44 AM »
Give me Lerner/Lambert any day of the week.

Offline placeforparks

• GM : PCM
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2014, 09:38:06 AM »
Ellis was prepared to face the wrath of the supporters. Lerner is never seen.

this. at least ellis took the flak.

we had our worst ever league defeat in our 139 year history, and the worst home league records are tumbling by the season.

does lerner even raise an eyelid? does he fuck!

you've got more chance of bumping into lerner on bond street, than you have at villa park.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2014, 09:58:28 AM »

we had our worst ever league defeat in our 139 year history, and the worst home league records are tumbling by the season.

you've got more chance of bumping into lerner on bond street, than you have at villa park.

He took a lot more than the flak. About £50 million, for a start.

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2014, 10:01:47 AM »

Doug would not have put up with the record breaking achievements that Lambert is responsible for.

The situation is worse now because at least you knew with Doug that he would not tolerate epic failure and for all his faults at least he cared.

revisionist nonsense

Were in a mess when Lerner took over but in a worse financial position now and probably have a worse squad now too.

Ellis put the breaks on spending at the club in order to maximise the personal profit he was going to make from a sale. Whether Lerner is at the same game remains to be seen. Will only know when he sells up I guess.

Correct about HDE, I would say.

On Randy, he has already demonstrated that he is not in it for the dosh, or he would have set up things differently by now.

I'd love to know, what exactly is he in it for then? Is he a lifelong supporter? does he have a long standing passion for football? did he inherit a fortune and not have a clue what to do with it?

Im not aware that he owns property or a base of operations over here, he doesnt appear to come to many games....all we ever get is Beebop and Rocksteady telling us he attends games in secret and sits in a room away from the cameras. Fuck right off, these secret match attendances are never backed up by staff employees or workers at airports. This club is standing on the edge of the abyss and Lerners legacy may soon be the man who royally messed it up. And yet, still nothing from the management on what the hell is going on.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2014, 10:03:38 AM »
At least in the Ellis days the club had some Villa men at the top to balance things out. When things were shit you could see at least some of them cared.

Stride
Big Ron
Little
Gregory

coaches too.

Now when we get beat (again) there's an air or unaccountability, no one seems to really give a fuck, the next pay check comes in and we go again. Corporate bullshitters, chancers and recluses run the club now and barely a single one of them act like they want to be here and take some responsibility for what has happened, after all it's all Martin O'neills fault still.

Online itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2014, 10:07:29 AM »
The funny thing is that, if it is worse now, it's worse because you just can't doubt the good intentions of the folks at the top, you just can't. Their off-the-pitch stuff has been immaculate, really. It's just that they don't appear to understand the first thing about on-the-pitch stuff, which is still an apparently fashionable gauge of the success of a football team.
When you say their off the pitch stuff, what exactly do you mean?  I agree they are great with the charity/community stuff (we must be one of the top clubs there is at that), but the financial side they are failing if my memory of the accounts is correct. Are we (IIRC) struggling to get any decent corporate income?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 10:15:32 AM by itbrvilla »

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2014, 10:13:20 AM »
The funny thing is that, if it is worse now, it's worse because you just can't doubt the good intentions of the folks at the top, you just can't. Their off-the-pitch stuff has been immaculate, really. It's just that they don't appear to understand the first thing about on-the-pitch stuff, which is still an apparently fashionable gauge of the success of a football team.
When you say their off the pitch stuff, what exactly do you mean?  I agree they are great with the charity/community stuff (we must be one of the top clubs their is at that), but the financial side they are failing if my memory of the accounts is correct. Are we (IIRC) struggling to get any decent corporate income?

Our turnover is less than it was 4 years ago isn't it?

Online itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2014, 10:23:57 AM »
When you say their off the pitch stuff, what exactly do you mean?  I agree they are great with the charity/community stuff (we must be one of the top clubs their is at that), but the financial side they are failing if my memory of the accounts is correct. Are we (IIRC) struggling to get any decent corporate income?

Is that with the additional TV money?

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2014, 10:26:08 AM »

Is that with the additional TV money?

Not last summers no I don't think so.

Online nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2014, 11:26:41 AM »

He took a lot more than the flak. About £50 million, for a start.

Dave, I don't think most fans ever think or care much about that. I don't want to re-write history but you could never doubt Ellis's love for the club, the fact he dedicated much of his life and was there every day, the fact he felt the pain of losing as much as the fans, and even though he never really had the vision, wanted us to be challenging the top sides. He also had Steve Stride, a top administrator who helped to project a positive image of the club.

Today, I'm not sure where the club is going. The fans care passionately but it doesn't feel like the club does.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal