collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 12:00:06 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[April 24, 2024, 11:56:03 PM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by Hillbilly
[April 24, 2024, 11:46:00 PM]

Champions League Contention by Dave
[April 24, 2024, 11:04:47 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by VillaTim
[April 24, 2024, 10:35:53 PM]

NSWE Investment by PeterWithesShin
[April 24, 2024, 10:20:26 PM]

MOTD by Brazilian Villain
[April 24, 2024, 10:01:13 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Demitri_C
[April 24, 2024, 09:46:49 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How to fix this current mess  (Read 8464 times)

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
Re: How to fix this current mess
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2014, 03:35:41 PM »
1) Get as many of our best players on the pitch at the same time

2) Buy enough quality to give variety of personnel and playing style

3) Think of a system or mirror another side’s system for getting points at home and buy two or three players who will make that possible

4) Have the old and new players play closer together. It’s not acceptable to have a player in possession at full back and there be 15 to 20 yards of space before another Villa player is ready to receive the ball.

5) Press and press and press and press ad infinitum

6) Don't have Baker anywhere near the first team for another 2 seasons.

7) Movement, get some movement off the ball.

Offline NeilH

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2014, 03:36:05 PM »
I think any attempt to fix this mess will simply come down to pure economics, as that is how we are run right now. Any illusions of trying to compete as a football club has been lost due our disinterested and risk averse owner and CEO.
So it will be a pure math game

Option 1  - Status Quo
Loss of approx. 3000 season ticket holders at an average 450quid a pop would be around 1,4M. Add in reduced ticket sales over the course of next season, let makes that any 2000 down on this season at 30quid average per game and that’s around 1,2m. Factor in a few other losses in revenue streams and to maintain the status quo will probably lead to approx. 4M lost revenue next season.

Option 2 - Get rid
Last time around, the compensation to McLeish, plus the compensation to Norwich probably cost us at least 5m.

Option 3 – Stick with him until Xmas 2014
Well that will obviously cost us both the loss in revenue from option one plus the compensation cost for option two. I suspect that this will only come into play should we be helplessly adrift

On this basis, my conclusion is that he is not going anywhere, anytime soon and as long as he just about keeps us up, then I see no reason why the board would alter their standpoint as they know full well that this season we’ve had good support in spite of everything. Why take the risk of altering it, when the fans keep on coming back?

Online tomd2103

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2014, 03:48:44 PM »
Faulkner finding a continental manager by paying a premium with the added proviso of funds. We have the money, it’s just that they don’t trust it with this manager. Instead of spending £7m on a Kozak type player, pay it for a Boss. The pulling power of the manager should win half the battle in getting a quality player to sign for us.

I don't think we even need to throw that much money at a manager.

TSM was the 20th highest paid manager in the world when he was at Villa!!

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2014, 03:52:37 PM »
Faulkner finding a continental manager by paying a premium with the added proviso of funds. We have the money, it’s just that they don’t trust it with this manager. Instead of spending £7m on a Kozak type player, pay it for a Boss. The pulling power of the manager should win half the battle in getting a quality player to sign for us.

I don't think we even need to throw that much money at a manager.

TSM was the 20th highest paid manager in the world when he was at Villa!!

Kind of makes you proud, doesn't it?

Seriously, it just proves we won't have to pay a "premium" to bring in a half decent manager to replace Lambert. We pay more than the going rate.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2014, 04:27:25 PM »
1.  Change the manager
2.  Play decent football
3.  Enjoy

Offline remy

• Claret & Blue Flag ALWAYS flapping
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2014, 07:51:29 PM »
Say they stick with him for the sake of long term and for taking the expected financial hit for the drop in season ticket sales.

He carries on breaking all manner of unwanted records. Come late August we have a half empty stadium because of the continuing dross we're served up at home, tv money reduces because of our shit football and poor atmosphere and were in the bottom 3 for a 5th consecutive season of struggle. Relegation is inevitable.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2014, 03:24:59 AM »
Apart from Lerner, Faulkner and Russell (CFO), there doesn't appear to be anyone else on the board. Who are the non-execs?

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2014, 06:12:01 AM »
Apart from Lerner, Faulkner and Russell (CFO), there doesn't appear to be anyone else on the board. Who are the non-execs?

According to Howard Hodgson, Krulak is the only non-exec and one can assume he conference calls in so participation is low.

I imagine the board meetings are just formalities for reporting & regulatory matters. Lerner gets to make all the decisions any time he likes. Which is understandable given he is sole owner but still, you would have imagined he might have wanted more expert advice to develop his asset.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2014, 11:48:03 AM »

I don't think we even need to throw that much money at a manager. The draw of the Premier League is so strong, I doubt very much we'd have to pay much more if at all for a quality manager. What's important is that a new manager can effectively operate under the financial conditions set by the board, which despite what some think, aren't that bad, certainly not when compared to the rabble we find ourselves surrounded by.

Ideally, we want a man that can do what Lambert has failed to do; bring in young talented players and improve them. I mentioned yesterday that Carlos Querioz is available in the summer and he most certainly fits the bill. I'd imagine he like others would give higher importance to the challenge rather than the financial benefits.

Another is René Girard, the current Lille coach. The man has achieved so much on a shoestring, thrived on bringing young talent through and just as importantly, wants the chance to manage in England. In fact last summer he was quoted as saying he'd even consider a Championship club providing they had the ambition to get back to the Premier League.

I'm sure there are plenty of other managers out there far better and more equipped to do the job both the board and more importantly the fans want. To go into another season with Lambert still learning his trade at the expense of our club makes no sense at all.
i think I would be prepared to give a foreign manager a go. Depending on how we finish, possibly I may give lambert another season  if I were Lerner, but wouldn't be disappointed if we got rid at the end of the season to be honest.

The problem is I'm sure it's been proved statistically give or take a few anomalies, that your performance generally as a club, corresponds with the amount of cash you spunk. Lack of funds I think is the main reason we are where we are.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2014, 01:02:09 PM »
We have a decent spine to our side:-

GK Guzan
CB Vlaar
CM Delph
CF Benteke

So we just need another 14 players to go around them  ;)

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2014, 01:48:07 PM »

GK Guzan
CB Vlaar
CM Delph
CF Benteke

I suspect at least half a dozen of the current crop would good as squad players, not regular starters - Lowton, Westwood, Okore, Big K

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2014, 04:18:47 PM »
Sack Lynn.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2014, 04:35:22 PM »
Sack Lynn.

for being unloyal...disloyal

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2014, 04:38:24 PM »
Sack Lynn.

for being unloyal...disloyal

and for joining in fun in a way that excludes her employer. And sack her for being an absolute idiot

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2014, 04:52:10 PM »

GK Guzan
CB Vlaar
CM Delph
CF Benteke

I suspect at least half a dozen of the current crop would good as squad players, not regular starters - Lowton, Westwood, Okore, Big K

I think Okore will be more than a squad player once fully fit again.

If we add say 4 more of similar quality to that then you'll see the other 2 or 3 players that round out the side (Westwood, Lowton, etc.) look a fair bit more like the real deal for having that better quality around them.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal