collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 10:33:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 10:33:49 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 10:32:30 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

Re: FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by FrankyH
[Today at 10:19:07 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:10:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How to fix this current mess  (Read 8409 times)

Offline remy

• Claret & Blue Flag ALWAYS flapping
How to fix this current mess
« on: April 07, 2014, 02:24:35 PM »
Lambert should leave the club euphemistically by "mutual consent" after the shellacking by Spuds. Fans don’t want him anymore because of his poor performance in motivating the players, footballing naivety and presiding over the worst results in our history. He's lost the majority of the fans already. There is no future in the Lambert regime. If they haven’t already realised this, then the projected season ticket sales for next season will help clear the mist. 

Faulkner finding a continental manager by paying a premium with the added proviso of funds. We have the money, it’s just that they don’t trust it with this manager. Instead of spending £7m on a Kozak type player, pay it for a Boss. The pulling power of the manager should win half the battle in getting a quality player to sign for us.

Partially keep the 'young and hungry' model as backup for the first teamers. If they blossom, great - they can exceed expectation and unsurp the regular. If they don’t, it’s back to the stiffs or out of the club whichever is soonest.

Create a whole new player payment structure linked heavily on performances and results. One example is to dispense with the rewarding players after a great season. Instead they get a marginal increase on basic but a HUGE increase per match dependant on goals scored, clean sheets etc. (dependant on their position) to carry on their ' effort' momentum and be suitably rewarded for their performances on a match by match basis. This is a unique industry based on results. Frankly, I couldn’t give a toss if a player was on £100k or £200k a week for us if he carried on scoring hatricks. The club gets regular victories, more success means more fans, more ticket sales, more merchandise sales, higher tier sponsorship, increased TV money, longer Cup runs, etc. etc.

The kit manufacturer to give an online vote (registered villa fans only) on which shirt design they wish for the new season with the majority voted unveiled well before the new season starts.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: How to fix this current mess
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 02:31:04 PM »
The kit manufacturer to give an online vote (registered villa fans only) on which shirt design they wish for the new season with the majority voted unveiled well before the new season starts.

How do you know who is a 'registered Villa fan'?

Offline supertom

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 02:33:49 PM »

Maybe they could give the vote to season ticket holders. That's a poll of thousands, and I'd trust them to make a better decision than some of the kits we've had over the years.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 02:43:24 PM »
Faulkner finding a continental manager by paying a premium with the added proviso of funds. We have the money, it’s just that they don’t trust it with this manager. Instead of spending £7m on a Kozak type player, pay it for a Boss. The pulling power of the manager should win half the battle in getting a quality player to sign for us.

I don't think we even need to throw that much money at a manager. The draw of the Premier League is so strong, I doubt very much we'd have to pay much more if at all for a quality manager. What's important is that a new manager can effectively operate under the financial conditions set by the board, which despite what some think, aren't that bad, certainly not when compared to the rabble we find ourselves surrounded by.

Ideally, we want a man that can do what Lambert has failed to do; bring in young talented players and improve them. I mentioned yesterday that Carlos Querioz is available in the summer and he most certainly fits the bill. I'd imagine he like others would give higher importance to the challenge rather than the financial benefits.

Another is René Girard, the current Lille coach. The man has achieved so much on a shoestring, thrived on bringing young talent through and just as importantly, wants the chance to manage in England. In fact last summer he was quoted as saying he'd even consider a Championship club providing they had the ambition to get back to the Premier League.

I'm sure there are plenty of other managers out there far better and more equipped to do the job both the board and more importantly the fans want. To go into another season with Lambert still learning his trade at the expense of our club makes no sense at all.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 02:48:51 PM »

Customer Order Number, maybe? Viagogo use this, so presumably other authorised 3rd parties could as well.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 02:49:22 PM »

Maybe they could give the vote to season ticket holders. That's a poll of thousands, and I'd trust them to make a better decision than some of the kits we've had over the years.

so how do you appease those who didn't vote for the chosen kit? What if the vote is so close it could go one of three ways. I am all for democracy but there are some things that are better left out of the realm of public opinion. Creating and choosing a kit isn't a perfect science, and they have to address older blokes who remember fondly certain kits and younger fans who might not look for the same thing the older fans do. It will never be easy to get right.

Offline FranzBiberkopf

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 02:52:32 PM »
I simply cannot see Lambert being given his cards.

That's not because he's done an especially adept job in any way. Its just I cannot foresee Lerner/Faulkner wishing to put themselves through the hassle and expense of YET ANOTHER managerial hunt.

I'm afraid they'll simply keep him and tough out the drop in season ticket sales. Maybe throw us a bone in the summer of at least one £7M+ signing to buy off the dissenters.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 03:02:02 PM »

That's not because he's done an especially adept job in any way. Its just I cannot foresee Lerner/Faulkner wishing to put themselves through the hassle and expense of YET ANOTHER managerial hunt.

I'm afraid they'll simply keep him and tough out the drop in season ticket sales. Maybe throw us a bone in the summer of at least one £7M+ signing to buy off the dissenters.
Unless the end of the season is catastrophic then that's what I see happening as well.

I think that Lambert will have enough credit in the bank from things he's done right compared to his predecessors with those in charge that they don't feel that enough has gone wrong to warrant dismissing him.

I think he'll be here over the summer, next season will start badly and we'll cut our losses around November.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 03:06:49 PM »

Unless the end of the season is catastrophic then that's what I see happening as well.

I think that Lambert will have enough credit in the bank from things he's done right compared to his predecessors with those in charge that they don't feel that enough has gone wrong to warrant dismissing him.

I think he'll be here over the summer, next season will start badly and we'll cut our losses around November.

Agreed. I would think they have factored in a big drop in season ticket sales and are prepared for the long haul. Short termism is not on their agenda.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 03:06:55 PM »

That's a very low benchmark, Dave but it wouldn't surprise me. Looking for a replacement in November should be fun. I wonder who they will bring out of retirement?

Online brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 03:14:23 PM »
I am a great believer in the motivating power of money but you can bet your mortgage that such a scheme (and I am not knocking it) would have Arry and all the assorted geezers round VP like Yanited players around a ref.  The first step out of this mess is the hardest one namely to get Randy to sit down quietly and decide one way or another if he wants to own a football club.  The second step is that if he does, is he prepared to take all the hits that go with  club ownership and continue to provide adequate finance.  The key word in that sentence is 'adequate'.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 03:18:12 PM »

I don't think we even need to throw that much money at a manager. The draw of the Premier League is so strong, I doubt very much we'd have to pay much more if at all for a quality manager. What's important is that a new manager can effectively operate under the financial conditions set by the board, which despite what some think, aren't that bad, certainly not when compared to the rabble we find ourselves surrounded by.

Ideally, we want a man that can do what Lambert has failed to do; bring in young talented players and improve them. I mentioned yesterday that Carlos Querioz is available in the summer and he most certainly fits the bill. I'd imagine he like others would give higher importance to the challenge rather than the financial benefits.

Another is René Girard, the current Lille coach. The man has achieved so much on a shoestring, thrived on bringing young talent through and just as importantly, wants the chance to manage in England. In fact last summer he was quoted as saying he'd even consider a Championship club providing they had the ambition to get back to the Premier League.

I'm sure there are plenty of other managers out there far better and more equipped to do the job both the board and more importantly the fans want. To go into another season with Lambert still learning his trade at the expense of our club makes no sense at all.

Agreed.

I liked the idea of Lambert, liked what he has tried to do via the young and hungry route.   Player acquisition has been poor though, and that will always do for a manager in the long run.

Even if we were targeting players in the Championship and lower, a better manger could have sourced better players than Lowton, Westwood and Bennett. 

Delph came from League One (admittedly he was a big purchase fee-wise).   Everton went the route of signing the likes of Jagielka and Cahill, Spurs signed Dawson, Huddlestone and Lennon from lower divisions.  As a strategy, it's not dreadful.   But we've had a too many of that type all trying to find their feet at once. 

Querioz or Girard wouldn't be a bad shout, or maybe Clement.   I would like to see us go the route of a DoF for medium to long term strategy and a decent head coach concentrating on playing affairs.  But I have a feeling that the powers that be might go for a bigger name, should season ticket renewals look particularly dismal. 

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 03:19:10 PM »
1) Get as many of our best players on the pitch at the same time

2) Buy enough quality to give variety of personnel and playing style

3) Think of a system or mirror another side’s system for getting points at home and buy two or three players who will make that possible

4) Have the old and new players play closer together. It’s not acceptable to have a player in possession at full back and there be 15 to 20 yards of space before another Villa player is ready to receive the ball.

5) Press and press and press and press ad infinitum

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 03:21:17 PM »

You mean certified?

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2014, 03:25:17 PM »
1) Get as many of our best players on the pitch at the same time

2) Buy enough quality to give variety of personnel and playing style

3) Think of a system or mirror another side’s system for getting points at home and buy two or three players who will make that possible

4) Have the old and new players play closer together. It’s not acceptable to have a player in possession at full back and there be 15 to 20 yards of space before another Villa player is ready to receive the ball.

5) Press and press and press and press ad infinitum

Pretty good as long as point 2 is implemented.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal