collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Antidote  (Read 3526 times)

Offline kipeye

• GM : PCM
Antidote
« on: April 06, 2014, 11:44:27 AM »
Just watched Villa v Man U 1970 2-1 after a 1-1 draw at OT. Anyone who is currently in despair, find a video of when we were an exciting team (league status is irrelevant), sit back and enjoy what you and every other Preemiership fan has been missing for years.

Offline class_of_82

• GM : 05.04.2015
Re: Antidote
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 11:49:58 AM »
The first leg at old Trafford was my first away game as a 10 yr old

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 11:50:07 AM »
The times that I have done that! The Bournemouth part of the Villa History video and even the 1971 LCF are very well thumbed, so to speak.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 11:57:11 AM »
That was the time when we won most of our home matches and you didn't notice away fans even if the opposition scored. Segregation has a lot to answer for!

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 12:18:28 PM »
I find it just depresses me even more doing things like that. I can barely go near the Memories Thread without shedding a tear. With odd exceptions such as 86, following Villa was unadulterated joy. Now, it's unmitigated shit

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 12:27:28 PM »
Same for me Richard. It just serves to further polarise how awful we are now. A completely different club.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 12:32:53 PM »
Same for me Richard. It just serves to further polarise how awful we are now. A completely different club.

I have literally sat and cried watching some of the video clips Nelly - memories of great games, players, crowds and just the craic in general. And of course, there were shit times that your selective memory serves to forget. But, bloody hell, it was fun and we had pride. We meant something and Villa was the centre of my universe

Offline kipeye

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 02:06:00 PM »
I don't think many of us have forgotten the shit times too-I have seen us ship 5 at home to Bradford! The difference was though there was every chance you would bounce back from horrible defeats or spells of dross. We no longer have any bounce. It is flat and turgid, year after year, and not just Villa. I used to enjoy watching (and even shouting for other teams on occasions) lots of different games and teams, I rarely sit through more than half a game on the TV these days.

Offline Steve kirk

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 04:34:54 PM »
I was at the 2nd leg of the 71 League cup final right at the back of the Holte, 14 years old, Villa starting the fightback after 2 relegations, such happy days 71 through to 82, I am glad I am old enough to have lived through it, I do watch some old Villa footage to make me feel better but my usual antidote is to watch Laurel and Hardy films, incredibly old but still brilliantly funny.

Offline kipeye

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 07:16:20 PM »
I think Laurel and Hardy are entirely appropriate Steve

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 07:56:47 PM »
Sorry to disagree. I like dotes.

Offline martin o`who??

• Apparently I am my own worst enemy.
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 07:55:30 AM »
I was at the 2nd leg of the 71 League cup final right at the back of the Holte, 14 years old, Villa starting the fightback after 2 relegations, such happy days 71 through to 82, I am glad I am old enough to have lived through it, I do watch some old Villa footage to make me feel better but my usual antidote is to watch Laurel and Hardy films, incredibly old but still brilliantly funny.
And i am seriously afraid we may not see its like again, certainly not in my lifetime.

Offline Steve kirk

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 08:18:26 AM »
And i am seriously afraid we may not see its like again, certainly not
And i am seriously afraid we may not see its like again, certainly not in my lifetime.

I am hoping and praying that my 2 sons (23 and 24) will see a period where the club in a football sense become great again.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2014, 08:56:11 AM »
 I had the game from the Sty Sky plussed and I used to watch the end of the 86th minute a lot. I would find myself in the crowd going mad and it would make me smile. It was more our reaction to the goal that I liked, the wave of madness that erupts.

Offline LeeS

• GM : 12.01.2025
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2014, 10:37:51 AM »
And i am seriously afraid we may not see its like again, certainly not

I am hoping and praying that my 2 sons (23 and 24) will see a period where the club in a football sense become great again.

Even if we did see it again, it wouldn't be the same. It would mean we had a mega rich sugar daddy and that we'd bought success. That would never feel the same as I felt watching us in the 2 league cup final wins of the 90s. Those weren't bought, they were earned.

I've come to accept that the game has changed and will never be the same again. And for that reason I can now take it PR leave it. That's the real shame, not that we're shot at the moment.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal