collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: New Four Year Deal for Gabby  (Read 27014 times)

Offline dicedlam

• GM : 11.08.2024
Re: New Four Year Deal for Gabby
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2014, 09:36:50 AM »
If the contract is for the same wedge or he gets an increase, then no. We could get more for that type of money elsewhere.
If he takes a pay cut (and IMO I don't see that happening) then four years is to long. Two years max.

Lambert... sorry, I'm not a fan for many reasons, so no.

Delph and Vlaar? I just hope they are putting together something right this minute.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2014, 09:40:30 AM »
I think its good news.  He has been a great stalwart for the club, and still is one of our best players.  Good inifluence for the youngsters, and one of the last single club players. 

Agree with all of that plus he makes us a better team when he is in the side because it helps create space for others to exploit.

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2014, 09:44:32 AM »
If the contract is for the same wedge or he gets an increase, then no. We could get more for that type of money elsewhere.
If he takes a pay cut (and IMO I don't see that happening) then four years is to long. Two years max.

Lambert... sorry, I'm not a fan for many reasons, so no.

Delph and Vlaar? I just hope they are putting together something right this minute.

Agree Delph and Vlaar should be the 'winners' in any new pay / contract deals. Did Guzan get a new deal at the end of last season? If not he should be considered too.

None of the others merit it based on this season.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2014, 09:45:37 AM »
I think his role will change next season.

For me he's still one of our key players and first names on the teamsheet away from home. Our best away results and performances this season have been with him as a key man.

But he simply dosen't produce enough in the home games to warrant regular starts at VP imo so I want to see him and Weimann rotated more.

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2014, 09:53:22 AM »
The question is does he deserve a new 4 year contract, it's a simple answer for me. No

I've never rated him he's far too inconsistent.

The simple answer for me is, "Yes".    I think he brings far more to the club than just his abilities as a footballer (which, on his day, are up there with the very best.)  He is a one club man and, as such, is a player who the younger lads can look up to and take inspiration from.  We need a culture and ethos of loyalty to the club  in and around Bodymoor/Villa Park and Gabby is one of the cornerstones of that.

If you need reminding of Gabby's abilities check out the video of all the goals he has scored for Villa and then check out all of his assists.

Offline supertom

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2014, 09:56:57 AM »
He's been quiet in recent weeks (perhaps in need of a rest) but still a key player this season. The fact remains that we look worse when he's not playing. We can't afford better players than him, and that doesn't look like changing in the near future. I'm more than happy to tie Gabby down for another 4 years though. He's largely been a very good servant. Frustrating as hell, but when he's on it, he's a joy to watch.

In a squad largely lacking in Premiership quality, we need to do our best to keep players who are capable in this league. Which Gabby is.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2014, 10:01:45 AM »
He's been quiet in recent weeks

Unusual for Gabby. He's got form for upping his performances when contract negotiations are due....

Offline supertom

« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2014, 10:03:47 AM »
He's been quiet in recent weeks

Unusual for Gabby. He's got form for upping his performances when contract negotiations are due....

Maybe he wasn't told before last week! ;)

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2014, 10:03:59 AM »
The question is does he deserve a new 4 year contract, it's a simple answer for me. No

I've never rated him he's far too inconsistent.

The simple answer for me is, "Yes".    I think he brings far more to the club than just his abilities as a footballer (which, on his day, are up there with the very best.)  He is a one club man and, as such, is a player who the younger lads can look up to and take inspiration from.  We need a culture and ethos of loyalty to the club  in and around Bodymoor/Villa Park and Gabby is one of the cornerstones of that.

If you need reminding of Gabby's abilities check out the video of all the goals he has scored for Villa and then check out all of his assists.

I remember lots of good stuff under MON though can't seem to remember all that much since, occasional moments for sure, .

Maybe there is merit in the dressing room / training ground stuff in terms of figurehead but still don't see a 4 year deal who at best would be going to Sunderland, Norwich or the like.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2014, 10:08:16 AM »
This is a good move if true. I don't think Gabby is ever going to be a world class striker but he has given us some memorable displays. As he relies purely on speed his game is going to suffer in the next few years unless he adopts a different style however I doubt if he is capable of doing that at this level. Still we need to keep him and he could be a very useful "off the bench" player in the ladt twenty minutes or so when we need him.
Oh finally as he was born and bred in Nechells and NOT Erdington he deserves another contract.

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2014, 10:08:34 AM »
I also noticed that after Bentekes outrageous dive on Sunday that it was Gabby who pushed him away from the ref and tried to ask 'is it possible that there was just a little bit of contact?' - then left it.

Whilst it has never worked having him as captain, there is definitely hints of that maturity & influence in his on pitch presence at times.

He s not turned into the world beater he looked like he might have at the beginning, but he scores & makes some important goals, the threat he poses (whether real or not on the day!) creates space for other players, & we miss him when he is out.

I also love a Gabby goal more than any other kind - so I'm happy.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2014, 10:16:42 AM »
No problem with this for me...yes his form dips and rises, but who's doesn't?  We always miss him when he's not available, and he's scored some notable goals over the years, not least in derbies.  He'll do for me.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2014, 10:18:49 AM »
It would look totally wrong seeing him in another team's colours so I'm glad we're hanging onto him.  He's not the greatest but on his day he can be the best. We need more days like that from him.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2014, 10:20:46 AM »
He'll be due a testimonial soon so that'll offset some of his loss if he has taken a pay cut.

Would like to see Vlaar and Delph signed up as soon as possible.

Offline dicedlam

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2014, 10:22:03 AM »
As he relies purely on speed his game is going to suffer in the next few years unless he adopts a different style however I doubt if he is capable of doing that at this level. Still we need to keep him and he could be a very useful "off the bench" player in the ladt twenty minutes or so when we need him.

We are no Man Citeh who can afford having squad players on fifty grand a week.
We have been told for a number of seasons now that we have to run the club within our means and having players on that type of money and sitting on the bench is not one of them. It was this type of thing that got us in the shit in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, I would love Gabby to still be around, but not on top dollar over a four year contract.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal