collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: New Four Year Deal for Gabby  (Read 26996 times)

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
Re: New Four Year Deal for Gabby
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2014, 08:12:59 AM »
No reason to offer a four year deal unless there's loads of other clubs after him, which I doubt.

At his age offering him a four year contract is probably one of the ways of keeping his weekly salary down. His worth isn't going to increase from here so if you offer him a two year contract he's going to want a higher salary to compensate for the risk that he may not get a decent contract in two years time. A four year contract gives him security and that will cost him by way of a lower annual salary.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2014, 08:24:13 AM »
I can see the logic in offering a four year deal because it increases the chance that he'll take a pay cut as the gross amount is £X (loads) whereas a 2-year deal offers security for a shorter period which would be a consideration for players as they might get injured at any point.

I also think it could also encourage him to be come more of an ambassador at the club, a guy the younger players can look up to.

No complaints from me.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2014, 08:32:58 AM »
4 years is sensible, he is a striker and it takes him to 31.
Yes he can be inconsistent at times but he demonstrates a thoroughly professional and committed attitude at all times to the club.
The reality is that unless we are going to suddenly transform into a top four side competing to sign the best strikers in the world then Gabby is good enough to be a regular for us.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2014, 08:35:47 AM »
So we are supposed to be culling high-earners not worth anything like the pay-packet they are on but let's just make an exception for Gabby because he is a fan?

I hate this club sometimes...

You hate the club you support because they're giving a player a new contract?

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2014, 08:41:54 AM »
He needs to offer more on a consistent basis. As regards Delph and Vlaar they definitely deserve new deals.

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2014, 08:54:38 AM »
So we are supposed to be culling high-earners not worth anything like the pay-packet they are on but let's just make an exception for Gabby because he is a fan?

You love an argument.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2014, 08:57:55 AM »
I think that, because his form can be so erratic, people tend to judge gabby on his last 4-5 games so he goes from world beater to championship quality with very little in between.

For me Gabby wins us a handful of games every season by having ones of those days where everything goes his way, for example he was excellent against Sunderland and Liverpool in January (Liverpool in particular we fell apart in an attacking sense when he went off).  so if his good performances earn us points I don't have a problem with keeping him around, what I would like to see though is someone to pressure him when he's not performing.  I like the look of Robinson playing left of a front 3 so I hope he gets a few sub appearances over the next couple of months and then is involved over the summer.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2014, 09:00:00 AM »
No reason to offer a four year deal unless there's loads of other clubs after him, which I doubt.

Disagree, if he had better service he would score more often. If he became available, I'm sure quite a few clubs would be after him, especially with his pace which always unsettles a defence.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2014, 09:01:43 AM »

Agree, Gabby is a loyal servant to the club and deserves a new deal.

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2014, 09:05:02 AM »

Disagree, if he had better service he would score more often. If he became available, I'm sure quite a few clubs would be after him, especially with his pace which always unsettles a defence.

He has missed plenty of chances this season and even when he had Downing,Young,Milner and Barry creating an abundance of chances he never looked like being a 20 goals a season man. I like Gabby, his pace poses a real threat but he's at his level with this current Villa side.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2014, 09:06:32 AM »
I'd want to keep him but not on £50k a week. I'm a big Gabby fan but his shortcomings are pretty obvious and to be honest i'd put him in the £25-35k bracket.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2014, 09:20:46 AM »
Overall I like Gabby, and on his day he makes us a totally different side and must be a nightmare to play against. Sadly, just lately those days don't happen very often. He really hasn't delivered anywhere near enough the last 3 or 4 seasons imo. For approx £50K a week we should be getting more from him.

That's my opinion, too.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2014, 09:22:38 AM »
I'm a big fan of Gabby's so I'm pleased he's going to sign a new contract.

Offline MoetVillan

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2014, 09:30:28 AM »
I think its good news.  He has been a great stalwart for the club, and still is one of our best players.  Good inifluence for the youngsters, and one of the last single club players. 

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2014, 09:36:30 AM »

I'm sure QPR would be in for him. Probably Crystal Palace and maybe Sunderland.

I very mich doubt anyone better than Villa, even after our 4 years of mediocrity/shite, would want him.

I'd keep him if and only if he is taking a fairly decen paycut.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal