collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Rory
[Today at 02:36:36 AM]

Do it thr Frnch way - Lill away by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air
[Today at 02:14:03 AM]

Leander Dendoncker - On Loan at Napoli by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:44:12 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Drummond
[Today at 01:15:54 AM]

Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 12:17:15 AM]

Lille vs Aston Villa - Conf League QF 2nd leg - pre match chatter by tomd2103
[April 17, 2024, 11:32:24 PM]

Brighton (a) by sonyhill
[April 17, 2024, 11:15:10 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulTheVillan
[April 17, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: New Four Year Deal for Gabby  (Read 26967 times)

Offline adrenachrome

New Four Year Deal for Gabby
« on: March 27, 2014, 12:46:51 AM »
Torygraph

Aston Villa to offer Gabriel Agbonlahor four-year deal

Striker poised to commit to club, who will also look to tie down Fabian Delph and captain Ron Vlaar

By John Percy10:30PM GMT 26 Mar 2014

Gabriel Agbonlahor will be offered a new four-year deal this summer and the chance to remain at Aston Villa for the rest of his career.
Villa will discuss a contract extension with Agbonlahor at the end of the season that will ensure the club’s record Premier League scorer will be signed up into his 30s.
Agbonlahor, 27, joined the club as a youngster before making his debut in 2006 and is ready to commit his future to Paul Lambert’s team. The longest serving player on Villa’s books has one year left on his deal but is poised to begin negotiations with the hierarchy when the season finishes.

Fabian Delph and captain Ron Vlaar are also poised to sign new contracts as Villa move to tie down the majority of their squad for the long-term.
Lambert is still in discussions over his own future and is expected to sign an extension before the end of the season as Villa seek stability. Villa were thrashed 4-1 at home by Stoke City and face Manchester United this weekend but are on course to avoid being sucked into a relegation battle.

“We are a young team and we are miles from where we want to be,” Lambert said. “But we are slowly but surely getting there and if they keep growing and being confident their careers will keep going. They’re a young group and you try to keep them positive, even when there is a drop.”

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: New Four Year Deal for Gabby
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 01:06:48 AM »
I'm one of his biggest fans and even though he goes through dips in form, he's come up trumps numerous times. It would just be wrong seeing him play for anyone else.

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 01:29:44 AM »
The question is does he deserve a new 4 year contract, it's a simple answer for me. No

I've never rated him he's far too inconsistent.

Offline Isa

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 01:54:49 AM »
So we are supposed to be culling high-earners not worth anything like the pay-packet they are on but let's just make an exception for Gabby because he is a fan?

I hate this club sometimes...

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 02:26:46 AM »
Overall I like Gabby, and on his day he makes us a totally different side and must be a nightmare to play against. Sadly, just lately those days don't happen very often. He really hasn't delivered anywhere near enough the last 3 or 4 seasons imo. For approx £50K a week we should be getting more from him.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 02:33:39 AM »
Maybe he will accept a cut to bring him in line with the new structure if he wants to stay? Not sure what he's on now, but if he is on 50k a week, it wouldn't harm his pocket too much to sign a 4 yr deal for 40k p/w. He must realise he's probably already peaked at this club in terms of form. I'd play hardball and listen to offers for him if he didn't agree to a cut.

Offline *shellac*

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 03:55:39 AM »
Lambert must be a Queen fan - Tie My Gabby Down.ﹰ

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 06:17:40 AM »
Good news.  I'd imagine he's taking a pay cut. 

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 06:30:01 AM »
Good news.  Especially if he has taken a pay cut which I suspect he may have.

Offline Tugby Villain

• Villa through thick and thin!!!
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 07:25:30 AM »
He was good towards the end of last season

Offline sid1964

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 07:41:58 AM »
sums up what is wrong at our club for me, too many of our players are on easy street, money for not doing a lot!

4 year deals are for your best players not a player who lets be honest only has a handfull of good games per season. for me it should be a max of 2 years.

If he is so good how come no other club ever shows an interest in wanting him?

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 07:50:40 AM »
Overall I like Gabby, and on his day he makes us a totally different side and must be a nightmare to play against. Sadly, just lately those days don't happen very often. He really hasn't delivered anywhere near enough the last 3 or 4 seasons imo. For approx £50K a week we should be getting more from him.

I'm happy enough with him signing a new contract. I think he suits the system we play under Lambert. I don't think he's 100% fit at the moment but overall he does need to add more goals to his game (the same goes for Weimann). That said, we do seem to miss him when he's not on the pitch.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 07:51:37 AM »
His recent performances have not merited a new contract. I doubt there's too many clubs queuing up for his services so I hope this is a pay cut.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 07:59:58 AM »
No reason to offer a four year deal unless there's loads of other clubs after him, which I doubt.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 08:00:58 AM »
Doesn't merit a 4 years deal though does depend on the amount he is on to be fair.

Let's face facts no-one decent would sign him - he has been fairly ineffective for the last 4 seasons.

As for Lambert dear lord no way has he done anything to merit anything other than a year's extension - again no-one decent will sign him currently. Unless he improves Villa a good deal more there is only one direction for his career trajectory.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal