collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Why are we annually rubbish against Man. United?  (Read 7119 times)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
Re: Why are we annually rubbish against Man. United?
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2014, 11:42:44 AM »
Regarding the history, apart from the obvious that they have had some good sides during the last 20 years I think Sralex was very good at winding our managers up, with a mix of flattery and derision. The only ones that didn't seem to fall for it were BFR and MON.

I'm hoping on Saturday that the under-pressure Moyes will send his team out in "win at all costs" mode, meaning that we can catch them on the break as they pile forward ... although our early-kick-off record (particularly against this lot) is not good.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 11:46:09 AM by Mister E »

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2014, 11:44:25 AM »
If it makes anyone feel better, they did suffer their (joint) heaviest defeat against us. Seven-nil, in 1930. We also share the record for biggest margin of victory against them away from home having won six-nil there in 1914.

See, they're shit against us really.

Offline eastie

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2014, 11:45:28 AM »
United have no hope of the top 4 , I'm not sure either their fans or management would want to be in the Europa league as it could hamper next season - will be interested to see how they approach this game with their huge game 4 days later.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2014, 11:45:37 AM »
Must say, I don't want to tempt fate or get over-excited, but this has the scent of the Curse of Losing to the Villa all over it - Bobby Robson, Mourinho, much better than Moyes, but both fell to the Curse. I would be really quite pleased if that happened - but I also want Moyes as manager of United practically indefinitely.

Online Billy Walker

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2014, 11:52:23 AM »
If it makes anyone feel better, they did suffer their (joint) heaviest defeat against us. Seven-nil, in 1930. We also share the record for biggest margin of victory against them away from home having won six-nil there in 1914.

See, they're shit against us really.

This is the thing about football, things come in cycles and I'm sure there will come a time when we go on as equally a long run of success against them. 

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2014, 11:54:41 AM »
You could equally argue why did we do so well against Coventry even when they were better than us and the game meant much more to them.

Offline eastie

« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2014, 11:55:53 AM »
You could equally argue why did we do so well against Coventry even when they were better than us and the game meant much more to them.

Indeed, we even did the double over them the season we were relegated and they finished midtable and won the cup .

Offline richardhubbard

« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2014, 12:47:11 PM »
Walked into work this morning and been offered 2 free corporate tickets for saturday .

If we beat them saturday , they will turn on Moyes, it started yesterday , you can feel the tension in Manc red fans, almost very similar to Mcleish with us .

Fingers crossed we can help the process....

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2014, 03:48:21 PM »
Go for it against them. Kick Welbeck up in the air and wind up Rooney. We've been showing these ****** too much respect for years, and we owe them big time.

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2014, 04:47:04 PM »
It might help, but probably won't ,that they have a far more important game against Bayern on Tuesday .They will have one eye on that and might just leave one or two out.

Offline eastie

« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2014, 05:01:22 PM »
It might help, but probably won't ,that they have a far more important game against Bayern on Tuesday .They will have one eye on that and might just leave one or two out.

April fools day as well- I wonder how many bayern will win by.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2014, 07:17:45 PM »

Doesn't matter, they pick garbage like Wellbeck, Macheda and Robins against us and they still bloody score.

Offline jeowje

« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2014, 07:08:28 AM »
We have an almost-equally bad home record against arsenal and liverpool over the last 20 years or so... Anyway, a win on saturday will signal the turning of the tide, the 3-0 at Villa Park (before which i said exactly the same... And the year before, etc) will turn out to be their last for awhile.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2014, 08:10:54 AM »
We've had inferior players, teams and managers, that's for sure. But psychologically they've had the edge for a number of reasons. At Villa Park, one reason is that the United players got comfortable playing there, possibly due to their cup semi-final experiences. Overall, we have been content to lose to them because we believe their hype. We expect no more than defeat and there is little or no anger at our consistent failure. We take our punishment, shrug our shoulders and 'go again'. That goes for the club, managers, players and fans. It's the old 'there's no disgrace in losing to... so and so' routine, but to lose so frequently, with such resignation, apathy and fatalism is pretty disgraceful. I really hope we can change that.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 08:23:11 AM by Jimbo »

Offline QBVILLA

« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2014, 09:00:55 AM »
United are a real bogey side. First off they have had a far better side than us for the last 24 years but even when we've been the better side on the day they have managed to pull something out of the hat. We even seem to be the recipitents of top class goals against ie Scholes volley at VP,RVP's title clincher, Macheda etc etc. We did it in 2009 so it's not impossible but like a lot of people I have little expectation from this fixture.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal