collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Why are we annually rubbish against Man. United?  (Read 7095 times)

Offline Jockey Randall

Re: Why are we annually rubbish against Man. United?
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 08:30:14 AM »
I definitely think that in the past we've always been one of a handful of sides that Fergie made sure his teams were on top form for. Sides like us, Everton, Spurs etc regularly struggled at OT yet sides battling relegation seemed to be able to nick a result there every so often.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2014, 09:04:22 AM »
Regarding past games against them, it seems as if we're psychologically (if that's the correct term) beaten before we step out on the pitch. They often beat us without having to get out of second gear.

If we have enough belief about ourselves there's no reason why we can't get something up there on Saturday.

Offline eastie

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2014, 09:14:31 AM »
We have let them off the hook on several occasions and tossed away the lead - we need to be on our game for 90 minutes as against Chelsea.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2014, 09:16:44 AM »
Regarding past games against them, it seems as if we're psychologically (if that's the correct term) beaten before we step out on the pitch. They often beat us without having to get out of second gear.

If we have enough belief about ourselves there's no reason why we can't get something up there on Saturday.

True, and no matter how many goals start we gave them they would still come back and beat us usually in the last minuets
The players brains were scrambled and they let the pressure get to them every time
Even the supporters knew what was going to happen and it always did

Offline andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2014, 09:19:23 AM »

It's the same with the fans..... I'm not going and I go to most games. The whole Old Trafford experience is just horrible, from the half and half scarves, the inevitable defeat and the slow journey home.

We should give them a good game, but we won't. The whole world knows their defensive weaknesses.... But we will just sit back and try to hit them on the break and let them have all the possession.

Hope I'm wrong.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2014, 09:24:45 AM »

It's the same with the fans..... I'm not going and I go to most games. The whole Old Trafford experience is just horrible, from the half and half scarves, the inevitable defeat and the slow journey home.

I've only seen us win up there once, 1-0 under MON a few years back. My one memory of that game was Petrov belting the ball into the stand with about a minute to go to waste time, it was fantastic.

No you're right it's an horrible place to go, a nightmare to get away from and their fans are getting everything they deserve this season. I'm looking forward to it though.

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2014, 09:25:59 AM »
I think there's a couple of reasons why Man Utd have had such a good record against us since the mid-nineties:

1)  They've consistently spent more on higher quality players and wages than us in that period.  If the shoe was on the other foot we would have more of a chance of beating them (see Man City's recent record v Man Utd).

2) Everyone connected with Villa in that period, from the website journalists,to staff (manager/players etc.) - and a high proportion of fans, seem to expect absolutely nothing from the fixture.  An inferiority complex has become deep-rooted in Villa's mindset.

I'd imagine Jack Woodward and Paul Brown (?) have spent the past few days going around the players and manager by saying stuff like, "So it's a trip the the mighty Theatre Of Dreams next ..."   A constant barrage of small-time guff surely can't help?

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2014, 09:33:10 AM »
I've just consulted the Magic 8 Ball on this subject. Whilst a lot of questions got negative or uncommital answers, when I asked 'will we win 3-2 against Man Yoo?' the ball replied 'It is decidedly so'.

I think this is conclusive evidence and am going to put on a bundle at Ladbrokes. I suggest you do the same.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2014, 10:03:54 AM »
Can we at least wait until after the game before we hold the inquest?

This

Disagree.  I say we hold our inquest now.  An extreme pessimist is usually a tad less dissapointed.

Offline jeowje

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2014, 10:22:04 AM »

This

I would like to think that the post is intended to tempt fate 😉

Offline eastie

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2014, 10:31:00 AM »
Certainly no better chance to go there and stick it to them -depends which villa turns up of course.

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2014, 10:36:22 AM »
Certainly no better chance to go there and stick it to them -depends which villa turns up of course.

I've asked Magic 8 Ball 'will the good Villa turn up against Man Yoo?'

8 Ball replied 'Signs point to yes'.

Get in.

Offline eastie

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2014, 10:48:33 AM »

I've asked Magic 8 Ball 'will the good Villa turn up against Man Yoo?'

8 Ball replied 'Signs point to yes'.

Get in.
l
Excellent news Archbishop cockthrottle :)

Offline danlanza

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2014, 10:56:56 AM »
We are going to bloody thump them.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2014, 11:17:02 AM »

This

I would like to think that the post is intended to tempt fate

You know me too well. ;)

In fairness it was just a topic to try to establish just why our record is so bad and we rarely win agaisnt them compared to Chelsea (11 days ago), Arsenal (3 wins in our last 6 at Emirates), Man. City (September) and Liverpool (should've been January but I'm happy enough with 3 unbeaten at Anfield).

All those teams have top players aswell, more so than Man. United these days as the table shows.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal