collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Why are we annually rubbish against Man. United?  (Read 7096 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Why are we annually rubbish against Man. United?
« on: March 25, 2014, 10:18:26 PM »
So 6th home defeat of the season which is now their worst home season since 1976 or something ridiculous.

Yet you know we will go there and be rolled over 3-0 or something like that, hopefully at least the game won't be over by half time this years.

But why? Why is it we lose season in season out there while we go three seasons unbeaten at Anfield, we regularly win at the Emirates and aside from the 8-0 we usually give Chelsea a proper good game at Stamford Bridge.

It has to be psychological doesn't it? They have a hold over us at Villa Park and just generally. Why is it that playing Valencia and Rafael on the right is much harder for our defence to cope with than a Hazard or Coutinho? Those two ripped us to shreds at Villa Park.

Cleverley waltzed through our middle for the third, not Yaya Toure, not Gerrard or even Ramsey, Tom fecking Cleverley.

It's bizarre to me how apart from a brief spike under MON when we went a couple unbeaten against them (still losing the cup final) we just seem to roll over so easily against them such as this season. Yet we've beaten Arsenal, Chelsea and Man. City this season and should've beaten Liverpool. Does anyone really see us going to Old Trafford and playing like we did at Anfield?

Another theory is as we saw on Sunday we still struggle a bit against the high diagonal long ball, a couple of RVP's hattrick came from long high balls so I don't think Moyes tactics of endlessly using the flanks and getting crosses in is good news for us.

I can cope with losing but it needs to be a respectable 2-1 battling loss, not a 3 nil down at half time with barely a shot on target that we seem to get against them.

This is their worst team for about 30 years after all.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: Why are we annually rubbish against Man. United?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 10:22:51 PM »
it's mostly because, usually, they're a significantly better side than we are. They're not anything like as good this season, but then again, whilst Cleverley waltzed through our midfield, so did Stoke a few days ago. I don't think that means too much.

As Joe of this parish said on facebook, very amusingly, a few minutes ago, we need to worry about going to Old Trafford this weekend. Not because of a backlash, but because we're so shit against poor sides

;-)

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 10:23:02 PM »
Because somewhere along the line, it's been stressed how much we need to respect them, instead of tearing into them.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 10:23:11 PM »
Can we at least wait until after the game before we hold the inquest?

Offline WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 10:48:52 PM »
On telly here, during the game at Villa Park, the commentator said that Man Utd may be in crisis but it's not so bad that they can't beat Aston Villa.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 10:52:44 PM »
it's mostly because, usually, they're a significantly better side than we are. They're not anything like as good this season, but then again, whilst Cleverley waltzed through our midfield, so did Stoke a few days ago. I don't think that means too much.

As Joe of this parish said on facebook, very amusingly, a few minutes ago, we need to worry about going to Old Trafford this weekend. Not because of a backlash, but because we're so shit against poor sides

;-)

That's true but I've think the stats are since 2003 (and it's not like they've won the league every season) we've lost 17 of our last 21 league games against them.

Now I haven't got the stats for games against Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea in that period but there's no way our records against those are as bad, not when we regularly go to the Emirates and win, not when Chelsea have only won twice at VP in the last 10 years and not when we've been unbeaten at Anfield in the last three seasons.

I think what I'm getting at is our games against those three are usually a lot closer and we have to make them work for the win. Certainly Liverpool and Arsenal when they came to VP and win it's usually only by one goal.

With United we either seem to concede an early goal and crumble and lose by 3 or are leading, concede a goal and them crumble.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 11:14:05 PM »
On telly here, during the game at Villa Park, the commentator said that Man Utd may be in crisis but it's not so bad that they can't beat Aston Villa.

Cheeky Polish fuggers.

But yeah, we're crap against teams in and around us in the table so I don't expect us to get much at all on Sat.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 11:53:00 PM »
I hope we are 2-0 down with 10 mins to go and win 3-2 with the winner the most spawny of spawny penalties in the 96th minute when there should only have been 4 added mins.

My Name Is Earl.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 06:31:36 AM »
So 6th home defeat of the season which is now their worst home season since 1976 or something ridiculous.

Yet you know we will go there and be rolled over 3-0 or something like that, hopefully at least the game won't be over by half time this years.

But why? Why is it we lose season in season out there while we go three seasons unbeaten at Anfield, we regularly win at the Emirates and aside from the 8-0 we usually give Chelsea a proper good game at Stamford Bridge.

It has to be psychological doesn't it? They have a hold over us at Villa Park and just generally. Why is it that playing Valencia and Rafael on the right is much harder for our defence to cope with than a Hazard or Coutinho? Those two ripped us to shreds at Villa Park.

Cleverley waltzed through our middle for the third, not Yaya Toure, not Gerrard or even Ramsey, Tom fecking Cleverley.

It's bizarre to me how apart from a brief spike under MON when we went a couple unbeaten against them (still losing the cup final) we just seem to roll over so easily against them such as this season. Yet we've beaten Arsenal, Chelsea and Man. City this season and should've beaten Liverpool. Does anyone really see us going to Old Trafford and playing like we did at Anfield?

Another theory is as we saw on Sunday we still struggle a bit against the high diagonal long ball, a couple of RVP's hattrick came from long high balls so I don't think Moyes tactics of endlessly using the flanks and getting crosses in is good news for us.

I can cope with losing but it needs to be a respectable 2-1 battling loss, not a 3 nil down at half time with barely a shot on target that we seem to get against them.

This is their worst team for about 30 years after all.
spot on mate - was thinking of posting something similar myself. We just bottle it against them for some Reason. Hopefully we can scrape a point. 2-2 or something. I'm not allowing myself to think of winning.
If we do it will be a huge bonus.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 06:40:47 AM »
I wold love it, love it to beat them. But I cannot believe we will. Sadly.

Offline Bully2345

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 06:44:34 AM »
Can we at least wait until after the game before we hold the inquest?

This

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 06:48:42 AM »
We are not annually rubbish against them. We are bi-annually rubbish against them.

Offline richardhubbard

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 07:17:49 AM »
Can we play the game first, we beat some teams like Chelsea and arsenal and lose to stoke and Fulham that's why we are mid table....

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 07:45:22 AM »
I go on holiday on Friday. Normal drill is to quickly identify somewhere I can watch our game. As it is the early kick off I might give it a miss and catch up with the high (low) lights in the evening.

Offline martin o`who??

• Apparently I am my own worst enemy.
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2014, 07:52:45 AM »
Because we traditionally find it difficult to play against 12 men.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal