collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 3 points  (Read 9684 times)

Offline Tokyo Sexwhale

Re: 3 points
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2014, 02:53:29 PM »
Newcastle fans seem very irate with their season even though they have had a huge improvement from last year- I'd be very happy to have had that sort of season .

Newcastle fans are always moaning about something. They are borderline Scouse in that respect. They seem to think they should be challenging for the League Title every season even though there isn't any colour footage of them winning anything. 

To be fair, they're a well-supported club that hasn't won anything since 1969 (lower league titles excepted).  Imagine if Villa were in that position. 

Now imagine it's 2040, you're still alive, and Villa's last trophy is still the 1996 League Cup!

Which other big team hasn't won a proper trophy in that timeframe?

Offline Gerrin

« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2014, 03:58:10 PM »
Newcastle fans seem very irate with their season even though they have had a huge improvement from last year- I'd be very happy to have had that sort of season .

The trophy they won in 1969 was a UEFA recognised trophy at the time, it was by invitation.

Newcastle fans are always moaning about something. They are borderline Scouse in that respect. They seem to think they should be challenging for the League Title every season even though there isn't any colour footage of them winning anything. 

To be fair, they're a well-supported club that hasn't won anything since 1969 (lower league titles excepted).  Imagine if Villa were in that position. 

Now imagine it's 2040, you're still alive, and Villa's last trophy is still the 1996 League Cup!

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2014, 04:18:35 PM »

I was thinking about our lack of recent cup success today. I think the longest Villa went without winning a major trophy is the 37 years in between the 1920 and 1957 FA Cup wins, so as long as we win something by the end of the 2032/33 season, no unwanted record will be broken in this regard....

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2014, 04:24:13 PM »

I was thinking about our lack of recent cup success today. I think the longest Villa went without winning a major trophy is the 37 years in between the 1920 and 1957 FA Cup wins, so as long as we win something by the end of the 2032/33 season, no unwanted record will be broken in this regard....

I'm sure Lambert's got that record in his sights too!!!!  ;)

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2014, 04:26:33 PM »

I'm sure Lambert's got that record in his sights too!!!!  ;)

The chase is on!

Offline Gerrin

« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2014, 09:11:30 PM »

Background history on Newcastle United last 'cup', in 1969, it wasn't a UEFA recognised trophy at the time. Go back to the 50's for Newcastle United's last proper trophy.

"Inter-Cities Fairs Cup
The Inter-Cities Fairs Cup was a European football competition played between 1955 and 1971. As the name suggests, the competition was set up to promote international trade fairs. Friendly games were regularly held between teams from cities holding trade fairs and it was from these games that the competition evolved. The competition was initially only open to teams from cities that hosted trade fairs and where these teams finished in their national league had no relevance. Early competitions also featured a one city, one team rule."

Offline Nastylee

« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2014, 09:25:46 PM »
Unlike some, I've never really considered us to be in a relegation battle nor do I see us being anywhere near it. The three teams in the relegation spots currently will get nowhere near 35+ points as they're hopeless and then you've got the likes of WBA and Palace who can barely string a result between them.

Offline myf

« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2014, 09:45:33 PM »
If we don't surpass last year's points tally it will be a massive failure

Offline ez

« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2014, 09:48:53 PM »
That's my concern. I would be expecting us to surpass last years total about now. We are 7 behind.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2014, 12:44:34 AM »
That's my concern. I would be expecting us to surpass last years total about now. We are 7 behind.

I was expecting 45-46 points at the start of the season. I still hope we will get that, but to get up to last years points with 3 to play will still be a bit of progress.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2014, 10:39:51 AM »

Although based on that we will have a six year interruption for WWIII  starting next year.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal