collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Keeno
[Today at 12:56:39 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by OCD
[Today at 12:41:13 PM]

NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 12:40:24 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Dave
[Today at 12:17:57 PM]

Villa songs on Alexa by Louzie0
[Today at 12:16:54 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by WarszaVillan
[Today at 12:15:25 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by olaftab
[Today at 12:08:48 PM]

Diego Carlos by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:02:58 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The North Stand  (Read 17712 times)

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
Re: The North Stand
« Reply #90 on: March 23, 2014, 10:30:05 AM »
Witton End for me.

Offline peter w

« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2014, 11:46:48 AM »
George Ramsey Stand

William McGregor Stand

Then you can have the Witton Lane with a few enclosures within the stand. the away fans would be in the Saunders Enclosure, or Hodgetts enclosure, or Devey Enclosure...or something.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2014, 07:46:56 PM »
I don't think Saunders would have won it.

Why?

Internal wranglings and I also think he'd achieved his ambition so he'd lost a bit of his drive.

Why would he lose his drive when we were in the QF of the european cup.

If he had stayed we would still have won it. Barton can rightly take some credit but it was Saunders team, no question

Offline paulcomben

• GM : Oct, 2013
« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2014, 07:49:47 PM »
Witton End for me.

Wit's End would be highly appropriate.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #94 on: March 23, 2014, 07:51:52 PM »

Why?

Internal wranglings and I also think he'd achieved his ambition so he'd lost a bit of his drive.

If he had stayed we would still have won it. Barton can rightly take some credit but it was Saunders team, no question

There was definitely something wrong - the same players were nowhere near as good.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2014, 07:52:11 PM »
It's days like this when a 50k VP would look pretty silly tbh, it looked empty enough today on the tv, what was the official attendance.

I don't subscribe to this "build it and they will come" theory. Our attendances only average close to 40k when we're in the top 6 so we need a better team on the pitch first.

Offline paulcomben

• GM : Oct, 2013
« Reply #96 on: March 23, 2014, 08:15:43 PM »
It's days like this when a 50k VP would look pretty silly tbh, it looked empty enough today on the tv, what was the official attendance.

I don't subscribe to this "build it and they will come" theory. Our attendances only average close to 40k when we're in the top 6 so we need a better team on the pitch first.

Tad over 30,000. Worst I can remember in the league.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #97 on: March 23, 2014, 08:29:23 PM »
Pretty much the same as Norwich.

In fairness our Saturday attendances have held up really well this season but it's the modern way now that 7-8 a season will be moved to Sundays or even worse Monday.

So with a 50k stadium how would you go about attracting a 40k + crowd if the team aren't doing that well on the pitch? It would be a hard sell if we're playing moderate opposition as the win v Chelsea hardly put much on the attendance today. The weather was decent aswell.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #98 on: March 23, 2014, 08:34:03 PM »
Pretty much the same as Norwich.

In fairness our Saturday attendances have held up really well this season but it's the modern way now that 7-8 a season will be moved to Sundays or even worse Monday.

So with a 50k stadium how would you go about attracting a 40k + crowd if the team aren't doing that well on the pitch? It would be a hard sell if we're playing moderate opposition as the win v Chelsea hardly put much on the attendance today. The weather was decent aswell.

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact we've just won two consecutive home games for the first time in almost four years, and haven't won three in a row since 2007.

Not only that, this season, we've lost nine of our home league games, and also lost at home to a bunch of league one chancers.

We've been desperately poor at home for so long, it is embarrassing. Even when we were finishing sixth three times under O'Neill, we managed to be poor at home.

I'm genuinely impressed we manage to average 35k or so with stats like those, they are truly abysmal.

You're right, a decent team on the pitch will make a huge difference. Our problem is we haven't put a decent team on the pitch at home for a long time.

In fact, we've managed to spend - since Lerner arrived - enough money to put us massively in debt in recent years, yet still didn't buy a single "bums on seats" player in the whole time.

Instead, we spent a huge amount of money on a lot of players in the 8m bracket. Even Milner, a player almost every single one of us would want back, wasn't a ticket-shifter.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #99 on: March 23, 2014, 10:26:35 PM »

Why?

There was definitely something wrong - the same players were nowhere near as good.

So it was the players then, not the manager?

Our relative small squad may have been a factor. It all came together in 81 but we couldn't maintain it in the league in 81/82.

Why throw it all away by leaving us and 2 weeks later moving to SHA.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2014, 10:27:57 PM »

Why?

Our relative small squad may have been a factor. It all came together in 81 but we couldn't maintain it in the league in 81/82.

I've no idea but it shows that something wasn't right.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #101 on: March 23, 2014, 10:30:43 PM »

Worst you can ever remember?

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #102 on: March 23, 2014, 10:44:29 PM »

Why?

I've no idea but it shows that something wasn't right.

Probably all to do with Ron Bendall

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #103 on: March 28, 2014, 08:14:49 PM »

Worst you can ever remember?

HQ is a nipper.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal