collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Nathan Baker - Sold  (Read 129944 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: Nathan Baker
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2014, 10:25:57 PM »
I've said many times that the goals Cahill scores hide that he is a good defender and nothing more.

As for Baker, he's still only 22 (okay 23 in a month) but very few CB are anywhere near their peak at that age. I doubt many clubs have a 4th choice CB as good as him, or Clark, depending on who you see as 4th choice.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2014, 07:45:01 AM »
Two decent fullbacks and an experienced CB partner will help both NB and CC improve. Remember CC's first few games? - he looked great in a reasonably settled defence.
Over the last three seasons it's been tough to see how either of these two would emerge as fully-fledged Premiership players. Next season will tell us, I think.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2014, 04:44:51 PM »
I think the first half of this game and him being at fault for all three goals in some capacity shows he is a million miles away from International level and frankly some way short of Premier League standard.

Offline supertom

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2014, 04:55:20 PM »
Not good enough. Never will be. He's an okay 4th choice but you wouldn't want him playing with any sort of regularity. For his own sake, and for ours, I'd move him on in the summer. Championship is his level, and at his age he needs to be playing week in, week out. He's nowhere near good enough to be playing every week at this level. A million miles away. As for International call ups? Well if he's got a relative in Liechtenstein perhaps he can, but for England? No chance.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2014, 04:57:32 PM »
Can't question his commitment, but he's an accident waiting to happen. Clark, in my opinion, is better.

Offline supertom

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2014, 05:00:39 PM »
Can't question his commitment, but he's an accident waiting to happen. Clark, in my opinion, is better.
Yep, Clarky has to come back in next week. Okore can't get back soon enough. You cannot trust Baker at all. If he goes 3-4 games looking competent then it's almost inevitable that he's gonna turn into Mr Bean before long.

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2014, 05:54:31 PM »

He's on ...what £10k per week, has played well in 3 of the last 4 games, Gabby , who has not played a good game since Lplop away, is on £50k per week, and yet we pick on a guy who probably wouldn't be playing today if we had everyone fit.

Midfield is where we lose the game, Baker is what he is, a no nonsense defender, sometimes he has bad games, not bothered, hes young, Gabby meantime is a waste of time.

Offline PaulWinch again

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2014, 06:00:43 PM »
Nonsense he played well against Chelsea when they had one out of form forward. The fact he wouldn't be playing if everyone was fit is irrelevant, he's played a lot of games over the last two years and he is nowhere near good enough. Gabby and Bacuna were garbage as well, but Baker's positioning was at fault for 3 goals today.

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2014, 06:23:29 PM »

Played well against Norwich as well, and Cardiff as well, PW.Selective memory.

Hes not the best player i have seen in a Villa shirt, but there are much more obvious problems than him for me.Drop him for the Ure game, and play Clark, and we are going to win are we?

Offline PaulWinch again

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2014, 06:29:47 PM »
I'm not that selective on Baker, I've been pretty clear on what I think of his play. He's a brave player and tries his best, but his positioning and understanding of the game have not developed at all and he just doesn't get it. He tries hard but he will never be a Premier League defender, and he is very much one of our obvious problems.

Offline levico

« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2014, 06:34:46 PM »

Played well against Norwich as well, and Cardiff as well, PW.Selective memory.

Hes not the best player i have seen in a Villa shirt, but there are much more obvious problems than him for me.Drop him for the Ure game, and play Clark, and we are going to win are we?

No we are going to get thrashed whoever plays but Baker was truly, truly awful today.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2014, 06:36:55 PM »
Baker, against two forwards was shown again to be the limited footballer that he is. He turns slower than the Number 11 bus, and when there is any kind of movement the player he is asked to mark or cover has a field day. I don't mind him as a number 4 CB, but not in the first two options at all. My guess is in time he'll be overtaken by Donacien for that spot.

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2014, 06:38:47 PM »
 My point is Levico, he has been , unjustly imho, as especially shit today, which he was, but no worse than at least 3 players, who are regular 1st team players, and should shoulder more blame/responsibility than Baker does.

Offline PaulWinch again

« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2014, 06:40:55 PM »
My point is Levico, he has been , unjustly imho, as especially shit today, which he was, but no worse than at least 3 players, who are regular 1st team players, and should shoulder more blame/responsibility than Baker does.

Today he was responsible for 3 of the 4 goals, that's why he's highlighted. But fair enough, Bacuna was pretty much as bad.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2014, 06:58:37 PM »
Lucky he mis-timed that two footed challenge near the end of the game.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal