collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Joe Bennett  (Read 22256 times)

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Joe Bennett
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2014, 10:12:31 PM »
It's also possible that he's watched Bertrand and learnt from him. Bertrand as first choice and an improving Bennett as a back up isn't too shabby. Sorry Tony

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2014, 10:14:06 PM »
We seem far too quick to write players off if they take time to adjust. It might prove to be a career game for Bennett but it shows there is potentially a player there, especially for what he cost. KEA has shown he can be an asset recently, as has Baker. As mentioned by Tom above, players some would have had out the club. Vlaar was written off by some last season, Delph was as well. One ex poster called Delph the worst payer to ever wear a Villa shirt.

Offline WALTERS WARRIORS

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2014, 10:15:23 PM »
You could see in his general body language he was more focused and was anticipating his best position more. Played well ......

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2014, 11:02:56 PM »
I like him and was gutted he got injured. He ended last season strong like many other of the new signings.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2014, 11:05:39 PM »
We seem far too quick to write players off if they take time to adjust. It might prove to be a career game for Bennett but it shows there is potentially a player there, especially for what he cost. KEA has shown he can be an asset recently, as has Baker. As mentioned by Tom above, players some would have had out the club. Vlaar was written off by some last season, Delph was as well. One ex poster called Delph the worst payer to ever wear a Villa shirt.

I'd agree in general, but I do think Bennett was consistently terrible last year.

Maybe in Bennett's case what he needed was a spell out of the side, rather than being chucked in week after week as he was last year. If that's the case and yesterday's performance is a sign of that, then that's brilliant, but it does make me wonder how many of the other young players we almost burned out mentally last season.

I thought that was our major mistake last season. Not so much buying too many young, unproven players, but relying on too many of them at the same time. I'd hate for us to miss out on gems because of that.

Offline Tom_Mc9?

• GM : 28.08.2024
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2014, 11:22:49 PM »
Agreed Paulie, it's very similar to the situation with Clark and Baker. They had periods of being diabolical last year, but there was little opportunity to give them a break. Unfortunately Okore's injury this year added to that. I'm glad they are all showing glimpses of improvement of late. It'd be good to see them all do well.

Offline black pearl of inchicore

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2014, 12:54:57 AM »
He is useless as well as Hopeless.....do any of you not remember his contribution at St James Park....he gives me the shit's every time he plays.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2014, 12:56:22 AM »
He is useless as well as Hopeless.....do any of you not remember his contribution at St James Park....he gives me the shit's every time he plays.

There's always one. And tonight it's you.

Offline black pearl of inchicore

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2014, 02:21:56 AM »

Can't tackle, Can't pass, Can't shoot....need i say much more...........

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2014, 02:31:59 AM »
He had shown glimpses of being a decent footballer but he put it all together on Saturday. He has got quick feet, a turn of pace and decent first touch. It was always about composure, positioning etc and he showed he had all that.
I thought his performance was fantastic.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2014, 02:49:22 AM »

Can't tackle, Can't pass, Can't shoot....need i say much more...........

You could say "I didnt see the game" that would make some sense.

From Opta

Joe Bennett

Tackles 2/2
Interceptions 3 - Highest of any defender
Clearances 4/4
Passes 19/24 (79%) - Highest of any defender
Fouls 1 (joint least with Ron)

Ignoring the stats , just watching the game he played very well. Arguably we were fortunate in that Chelsea for some reason targeted Bacuna instead of Bennett but the lad had a good game against arguably the best attacking 3 midfielders in the league.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2014, 06:02:47 AM »
That's you told son.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2014, 06:43:40 AM »
Bennett did well. A more mature performance. He will find it a struggle to get back in the side since Bertrand was bought in, but he'll get better and we'll need him at times. He will improve.

Offline Caiphus

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2014, 06:47:26 AM »
Last year he was good with the ball at his feet, and not much chop without it.  He was too slight and easily held off by the opposition which made him foul to often.  He looks like he has worked on his core strength while injured and that has allowed him to be more confident, and while he is still just as slight he is harder to move at the hips and as a consequence doesn't have to be as rash.

I think he has all the makings of a modern attacking full back, it's up to him now to show some consistency while continuing to improve.  Definitely not a write-off.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2014, 07:11:21 AM »
Bennett playing consistently well would mean we wouldn't need to waste money on Bertand.

If we're going to buy some new players, Bennett playing well means we can target players in more needed areas.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal