collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Scott Marshall.  (Read 5012 times)

Offline Tuscans

• GM : 08.02.15
Scott Marshall.
« on: March 15, 2014, 09:06:24 PM »
It might of already been posted so apologies if so but I thought I might give a shout out to our first team/ defensive coach, Scott Marshall.

When he joined the backroom staff I think the majority of us were like...Scott who? But I think it's fair to say that he has had a positive input and effect to our season when you think what a shambles at the back we were last season.

I guess Steve Bould at Arsenal has done similar things with the Gooners and it feels like another ex Arsenal defender is doing it at Villa too. We look a lot more organised and stubborn then last season and I think some of that might have something to do with Mr Marshall.

Offline Michel Sibble

• Wiibble.
Re: Scott Marshall.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 09:09:37 PM »
The amount of times Chelsea strikers were caught offside was amazing.

Superb discipline and control today.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 09:10:59 PM »
Good call. I said during the match thread but I lost count how often we caught them offside. That's watching film on the opposition and identifying their tendencies and immense discipline from our players. Even Baker looks so much more solid now and along with Clark provides real competition to Vlaar and Okore.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 10:45:47 PM »
Good shout. We have been solid defensively this season. We certainly were not last season.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 12:49:49 AM »
We have been better defensively this season.  I still think Okore will improve us further when he comes back and although I'm still to be fully convinced, Bacuna is starting to settle a bit at RB. 

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 01:12:54 AM »
The amount of times Chelsea strikers were caught offside was amazing.

I mentioned that during the game, especially the second half.

Offline supertom

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 10:31:19 AM »
Bakers been pretty solid recently. He's doing well to keep Clark out the side in fairness to him. We've generally been pretty solid this season when Vlaar has played. Marshall's clearly made a difference in conjunction with Ron's upturn in form.
I think come the end of the season Clark and Baker who'd you'd say were 3rd and 4th choice, will be a lot stronger going into next season. They wouldn't worry me as much going into next season as they did at the start of this. I also believe next season, should we lose Vlaar for a dozen games at some point, we'll be better equipped to cope. As for Okore, he's actually gonna have to do pretty well to dislodge anyone, so it'll be vital he has a good pre-season.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 10:35:24 AM »
I think we've done very well considering our back 5 costs about 6m, how many premier league back 5s cost as low as that, you'd probably have to go to the promoted teams.

Obviously it's very dependent on Ron being there. I think the stats are:

Without him playing: 14 goals conceded in 7 games.

With him: 24 goals conceded in 22 games.

Which says it all. Bertrand needs to be signed full time aswell if possible as then we have good pace in both full back positions which is so important in the prem nowadays.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 10:37:56 AM »
Assuming we sign Betrtrand we'll have him and Bennett on the left, Bacuna and Lowton on the right and Vlaar, Okore, Baker and Clark in the middle with Guzan and Steer in goal.  Suppose the biggest doubt now is Steer because we haven't seen enough of him, but with these personnel in defense and Marshall as a coach things look good for concentrating our strengthening in midfield over the Summer.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 10:42:26 AM »
I can see Lowton leaving in the summer tbh for numerous reasons so I'd take someone like Russell Martin from Norwich especially if they go down as I imagine they won't be so petty and small time about selling to us then.

Someone who's experience in the prem, an international and can play CB or RB so ideal squad cover.

If we can't get Bertrand full time, I'd look at getting Neil Taylor in from Swansea. Can't get in there team, wouldn't cost a huge amount wages wise, good age and was linked with a 5m move the other day so realistic transfer fee.

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 11:55:44 AM »
I also have a hunch that lowton will leave. I think that part of our current strategy is to buy cheap and sell at a profit. We might get £4-5m for lowton which would double/triple our investment without damaging the first team.

This would give us enough to buy a young reserve to Bacuna with okore also providing additional back up (I think he's played right back a bit).
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 12:17:38 PM by Dante Lavelli »

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 11:59:22 AM »
I hope we can bring someone in who's as effective at getting us to play possession football, or at least get us passing better than we have at times and not just have us relying on counter-attacking.

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 12:23:09 PM »
I hope we can bring someone in who's as effective at getting us to play possession football, or at least get us passing better than we have at times and not just have us relying on counter-attacking.

I think okore may help with that. On that YouTube montage v Chelsea the best part for me was his passing once he'd won possession.

In fact Clark and Vlaar also look to pass. I think the fault is partly the midfield and particularly Westwood losing confidence this season and not making themselves available for the short passes from the defence.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 12:42:52 PM »
Baker has had a lot of stick this season, not from me incidentally,  but he did well with that earlier foul on Willian. That knocked the stuffing out of him and, after his booking, he was suitably wound up for the ref to keep an eye on him. His sending off was dubious but the earlier winding up of him had the desired effect.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 12:58:12 PM »
I've not been a fan of Baker, but I'll be honest, that was really exciting stuff from the young lad. I said a while back that he has every attribute a CB needs to play at the top level except intelligence. I think playing alongside Vlaar is giving him knowledge, experience and confidence and he's come on leaps and bounds in recent weeks.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal