collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Lambert's worst signing?  (Read 22882 times)

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
Re: Lambert's worst signing?
« Reply #120 on: March 04, 2014, 11:48:55 PM »
Culverhouse is just as culpable as Lambert in the inadequacies of coaching the best out of the players we do have (Tonev - don't shoot from thirty yards out, Weimann - don't snatch a shooting opportunities, KEA -front up your opponent just like you did against Norwich, Bennett - don't roam in field, Baker - don't let one mistake blow your game to pieces, - Vlaar - you are the captain talk to the referee frequently but respectfully etc etc).   As I have commented on other threads you can see there is a good team in there when we play like we did in the second quarter last Saturday.   That ability has to be brought out and that is Lambert's job and equally the job of the team he was allowed to bring with him.   You can carry a dud player or two, you can't carry a dud coach.

From what I've read on Norwich forums, they rate Culverhouse above Lambert and would have him back tomorrow. They credit him as the footballing brains behind the pair with Lambert best serving as the figurehead. There was a few stories of how Culverhouse would prepare the team during the week, tactics, formation, set pieces etc only for Lambert to come in on a Friday and change everything leaving the players clueless to what they're supposed to do.

How true it is, I've no idea but our players certainly give the impression they have no game plan most weeks. Like you Brian, I'm more than convinced there's a good team in there but for whatever reason the coaching or lack of it, is our greatest weakness. I'd love to see what a decent coach could do with this team but more importantly, to have a plan based around buying young talent needs a good coach and manager to develop them which is something we don't appear to have.

Maybe people on forums generally know fuck all about the inner-workings of the coaching set up?

I take it you're speaking for yourself?

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #121 on: March 05, 2014, 12:01:41 AM »
I absolutely am. What's your inside track?

Online Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #122 on: March 05, 2014, 12:05:56 AM »
To start with, I listen.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #123 on: March 05, 2014, 12:13:36 AM »
Well, read. A Norwich forum.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #124 on: March 05, 2014, 01:22:38 AM »
Well, read. A Norwich forum.

Despite what many people thing, football supporters are not as stupid as some pretend us to be. Rewind to MON going to Sunderland. Oh, how we warned them, would they they listen? They didn't want to know. Then fast forward 12 months and they were a lot smarter than most of us on here. They found him out for what he is but don't think for a minute the seeds we plants weren't there from the beginning.

The same goes with Norwich. I, probably like others, were delighted to have Lambert as our new manager and wanted to hear what they had to say about him. Once you get past the "messiah" and "Judas" posts, you begin to tap away at the truth or at least informed opinions. There were numerous posts about the relationship and balance to the "Holy Trinity" (Lambert, Culverhouse and Karsa) and if you're patient enough to read through the shite, you occasionally get an interesting post or two that everybody tends to agree with.

It's tricky business, you have to be prepared to dig. Remember the posts from Belgium laughing at us for over paying for Benteke? Sometimes we don't have the volume to filter the quality but generally, like Paulie pointing out the negative football of McCleish from Noses he knows, you have to give it value even if it contradicts what you've seen in the highlights. Honestly, I put my hand up and admit, every time I saw the Rags play, I thought they were a decent footballing side and I couldn't understand his negativity.

Back on topic, and I'll keep it short. My guess is that something has changed between the managerial relationship between Lambert and Culverhouse. Norwich fans talk about the animated Culverhouse in the technical area, whilst playing orchestrated, purposeful, attacking and wonderfully entertaining football. The carrot crunchers still want him back to replace Houghton. Even today and they had 3 years of him. Then compare us, a team that looks like they met for the first time in the car park 40 minutes before the game. I love the effort but it reminds me of slaughtering my chickens. It makes me feel sad, even after a 4-1 victory.

I really wish I didn't care. I really wish I could walk away but sadly Aston Villa are family. You can get upset with them, scream at them, love them, hate them, not even speak to them but in the end, you just want to protect them and let them grow to be the club you always dreamed they would be. And bloody rightly so.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #125 on: March 05, 2014, 01:44:08 AM »
Fair play to you. All love is to an extent a delusion.

I haven't got a fucking clue whether you're right or wrong.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #126 on: March 05, 2014, 02:35:54 AM »
Fair play to you. All love is to an extent a delusion.

Love is nothing without exaggeration.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #127 on: March 05, 2014, 07:56:10 AM »
Culverhouse is just as culpable as Lambert in the inadequacies of coaching the best out of the players we do have (Tonev - don't shoot from thirty yards out, Weimann - don't snatch a shooting opportunities, KEA -front up your opponent just like you did against Norwich, Bennett - don't roam in field, Baker - don't let one mistake blow your game to pieces, - Vlaar - you are the captain talk to the referee frequently but respectfully etc etc).   As I have commented on other threads you can see there is a good team in there when we play like we did in the second quarter last Saturday.   That ability has to be brought out and that is Lambert's job and equally the job of the team he was allowed to bring with him.   You can carry a dud player or two, you can't carry a dud coach.

From what I've read on Norwich forums, they rate Culverhouse above Lambert and would have him back tomorrow. They credit him as the footballing brains behind the pair with Lambert best serving as the figurehead. There was a few stories of how Culverhouse would prepare the team during the week, tactics, formation, set pieces etc only for Lambert to come in on a Friday and change everything leaving the players clueless to what they're supposed to do.

How true it is, I've no idea but our players certainly give the impression they have no game plan most weeks. Like you Brian, I'm more than convinced there's a good team in there but for whatever reason the coaching or lack of it, is our greatest weakness. I'd love to see what a decent coach could do with this team but more importantly, to have a plan based around buying young talent needs a good coach and manager to develop them which is something we don't appear to have.

Maybe people on forums generally know fuck all about the inner-workings of the coaching set up?

It's all about bibs and cones, everyone knows that

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #128 on: March 05, 2014, 08:06:56 AM »

And jumpers for goalposts.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #129 on: March 05, 2014, 08:16:04 AM »
With lots of shouting and pointing.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #130 on: March 05, 2014, 11:27:44 AM »

Bibs and Cones?

I miss those guys.

That's why MON failed at Sunderland. He only had one of his backroom geniuses with him.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #131 on: March 05, 2014, 12:33:54 PM »
Bibs and cones

Never underestimate Robertson and Walford

Online Villafirst

« Reply #132 on: March 05, 2014, 01:07:37 PM »
Tonev is useless, when I hear there is a decent player in there somewhere, yes like in his dreams.

One of the worst Villa players I have ever seen.

Maybe he'll be better next season after a year to adjust. Still think he's got ability and certainly has pace to burn.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #133 on: March 05, 2014, 01:36:39 PM »
That's why MON failed at Sunderland. He only had one of his backroom geniuses with him.

If I had a pound for every time I read how MON was failing at Sunderland because Robertson wasn't there I'd have at least 7 quid.
Poor sods.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal