collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Relegation?  (Read 229644 times)

Offline rob_bridge

Re: Relegation?
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 07:37:45 PM »
I posted on another thread that, as much as I didn't want it to, my mind kept telling me that this season had 1987 written all over it.  I really can't see where another win is going to come from.  That a total lack of activity in the last transfer window in the areas that we all could see were crying out for that little bit of quality is what has convinced me that relegation is only just a matter of time.  Sadly, sooner rather than later.
Sadly too, a rebuild was more feasible in 87. To do what we did then, again (if we had to) would take some doing in the modern game. You look at the table and see how much money has killed the game and the bottom 10 teams are complete and utter dross. Newcastle and Southampton have largely punched above their weight too.

If we want to get out this mess we're gonna have to spend some money to do it. We've tried the no money experiment and it's not working.
If we went down I'd see us either going the Leeds, Forrest route, or at best becoming a West Ham yo yo sort of club.

Tom the money has been sent continuously. An unsustainable wage bill to supplement an ongoing nert spend in transfers  - it was spent by O'Neill, (too much to mention) Houllier (30m to avoid relegation) , McLeish (spunked on long contracts for injury prone players) and Lambert. And we don't have much to show for it.

Not to mention £10m + in compensation to get rid of the managerial and coaching duds.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2014, 07:38:30 PM »
We won't go down.
Why do you think that PWS?

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 07:38:56 PM »
With our downward trend and lack of spirit/fight/nous I struggle to see how we will beat anybody, especially after yesterday. Newcastle were there for the taking and we could have had 3 comfortable points but we couldn't convert a number of "good" chances and fell apart after Westwood went off.
If we lose on Sunday we could be well and truly fu**ed!

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2014, 07:39:34 PM »
We won't go down.
Why do you think that PWS?

Because we'll finish the season with more points than a number of other clubs.

Offline dekko

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2014, 07:40:04 PM »
We won't go down this season, too many other teams in the mix, probably won't have to get to forty.

Whether we do next season is down to how much money gets spent.

Offline supertom

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2014, 07:40:52 PM »
I posted on another thread that, as much as I didn't want it to, my mind kept telling me that this season had 1987 written all over it.  I really can't see where another win is going to come from.  That a total lack of activity in the last transfer window in the areas that we all could see were crying out for that little bit of quality is what has convinced me that relegation is only just a matter of time.  Sadly, sooner rather than later.
Sadly too, a rebuild was more feasible in 87. To do what we did then, again (if we had to) would take some doing in the modern game. You look at the table and see how much money has killed the game and the bottom 10 teams are complete and utter dross. Newcastle and Southampton have largely punched above their weight too.

If we want to get out this mess we're gonna have to spend some money to do it. We've tried the no money experiment and it's not working.
If we went down I'd see us either going the Leeds, Forrest route, or at best becoming a West Ham yo yo sort of club.

Tom the money has been sent continuously. An unsustainable wage bill to supplement an ongoing nert spend in transfers  - it was spent by O'Neill, (too much to mention) Houllier (30m to avoid relegation) , McLeish (spunked on long contracts for injury prone players) and Lambert. And we don't have much to show for it.

Not to mention £10m + in compensation to get rid of the managerial and coaching duds.
Indeed.
We do still need to spend some money.
But more so, spending it right is essential. Randy's naivety has put us in a horrible position. A bit of footballing nous around him would have gone a long way.

We've certainly taken things too far in the other direction. Most of Lamberts signings should be nowhere near the Premiership.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2014, 07:42:04 PM »
If we continue to get no points, it won't matter how poor the others are.

Offline danlanza

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2014, 07:42:09 PM »
Not this season but nailed on for next if things stay the same.

Offline the hole in the wall

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2014, 07:44:13 PM »
it saddens me but i just cant see us surviving and what really breaks my heart is we shouldnt be in this mess....blame Lerner and Faulkner..just look at there decisions since oneil went.... people forget ellis appointed oneil...we nearly all disliked ellis but for all his faults he did care about the club... and i am no ellis fan but its a fact

Offline Bully2345

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2014, 07:45:46 PM »
The hysteria around the current situation is on the border between amusing and annoying. I don't think we'll go down. I don't want Lambert sacked. We were in a far worse position last year and got through so let's just get behind them. We're still capable of a mid table finish, which always was the aim. The thing about a mid table season is that there are some tough moments. We're in one, but I'd rather be where we are than where Fulham or Sunderland are.

I think this summer will be and always has been planned to be pivotal in whatever the project is. We've trimmed the squad, we've filled it out with more affordable players and I genuinely believe this summer, they'll go out to buy 3 or 4 (depending on Benteke) genuine first team players rather than the 7 or 8 fillers of the last two years. Add Okore to that, and the third year should be much more positive,

Offline danlanza

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2014, 07:47:51 PM »
The hysteria around the current situation is on the border between amusing and annoying. I don't think we'll go down. I don't want Lambert sacked. We were in a far worse position last year and got through so let's just get behind them. We're still capable of a mid table finish, which always was the aim. The thing about a mid table season is that there are some tough moments. We're in one, but I'd rather be where we are than where Fulham or Sunderland are.

I think this summer will be and always has been planned to be pivotal in whatever the project is. We've trimmed the squad, we've filled it out with more affordable players and I genuinely believe this summer, they'll go out to buy 3 or 4 (depending on Benteke) genuine first team players rather than the 7 or 8 fillers of the last two years. Add Okore to that, and the third year should be much more positive,
Fair point that.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2014, 07:48:09 PM »
If we stay up this season and then we see more sub standard signings in the summer Mr. Lerner is going to be in for one hell of a shock for season ticket sales. I know nearly a dozen ST holders and every one of them has said they won't be renewing next season. And honestly in all the years I've known them none of them have ever said it before. I think fans have finally had enough of Lerner's lack of ambition and incompetence.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2014, 07:49:29 PM »
After 16-odd years I won't be. I'll still go down but will use viagogo and the ticket offers from the club.

Offline Fin Feds Dad

• GM : 09.08.2016
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2014, 07:50:07 PM »

Jam tomorrow ?

Offline greenwichvilla

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2014, 07:50:45 PM »
For the last few years I've clung onto a belief that there were always three teams who were worse than us. This year, I'm not so sure.

We cannot be losing games to Fulham and drawing at Cardiff and not think we'll be drawn in.

If not this season, then next.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal