collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Ides of March  (Read 9405 times)

Offline l_mckay

Re: The Ides of March
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2014, 07:53:09 AM »
Norwich   Win
Chelsea   Loose
Stoke       Draw
Man U.    Loose.

4 points

Offline martin o`who??

• Apparently I am my own worst enemy.
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2014, 07:54:21 AM »
The Norwich game suddenly looks a bit dodgy, given their performance and result against Spurs, which kind of puts the whole thing in perspective - Worried about playing Norwich at VP, what the hell has happened to us??.......

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2014, 08:23:02 AM »
Six points from Norwich and Stoke. It would be nice to keep Mourinho's barren run at Villa Park going and take a point off them, but they will be gearing up for the final run at the title you would imagine.

From an historical point of view, Caesar would have been looking forward to March. He was gearing up for his campaign against Parthia. Our own campaign on the Kalends plus one against the eastern reptiles may prove pivotal to how we feel come the ides.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 08:26:53 AM by Ads »

Offline Irish villain

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2014, 11:21:46 AM »
Norwich and Stoke are the Reading and QPR games of last season's run in.

Six points from those two fixtures would go a long way towards securing our safety.

Offline supertom

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2014, 12:11:10 PM »
If we were playing Norwich away I'd fancy it more. At home I can barely see where the next point is coming from, let alone win.

I'd say we'd be lucky to come out with 2 points, but could easily see us having 0. I look at Stoke at home, and can only see them frustrating the life out of us and sneaking a win. It becomes too much of a battle of wits at home and Lambert comes up short most times. Certainly I think Hughes will easily have the ability to outwit Lambert tactically.

Online dekko

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2014, 12:18:55 PM »
Like people have said, its the home games that worry me - they're against the teams we most need to beat, yet we seem least capable of doing so.  If Fulham/Norwich/Stoke hold their nerve and sit deep and are hard to break down then it'll be really difficult for us to get anything.

It won't take many more points for us to stay up, but we're back in the situation we were 12 months ago where we absolutely have to win the 'winnable' games.

Offline danlanza

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2014, 12:19:02 PM »
If we were playing Norwich away I'd fancy it more. At home I can barely see where the next point is coming from, let alone win.

I'd say we'd be lucky to come out with 2 points, but could easily see us having 0. I look at Stoke at home, and can only see them frustrating the life out of us and sneaking a win. It becomes too much of a battle of wits at home and Lambert comes up short most times. Certainly I think Hughes will easily have the ability to outwit Lambert tactically.
A cement mixer could outwit Lambert tactically.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2014, 12:23:24 PM »
I've got to say whilst the home form is obviously a massive concern, it has been since Lambert took over and way before that. The major worry is that our away form has completely  fallen away now as well.

Offline supertom

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2014, 01:02:58 PM »

True...sadly.

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2014, 01:04:59 PM »
Think March will be shit but we will win one of the Chelsea/Manc games. I fear a battering away to Man. City though, so Chelsea at home or Man U away.

Offline avfc_1874

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2014, 05:20:33 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if we lost to Stoke & Norwich but got 4 points from Man U & Chelsea.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2014, 05:41:42 PM »

I think that is a bit unfair

on the cement mixer.

Offline Steve kirk

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2014, 07:15:21 PM »
Away from the Ides of March I have been checking stats, I do this to try and comfort myself when things feel desperate, after this post I may be the prat with the stats but here we go, last season with 11 games to go we were on 24 points but this season we have 28 so a better return, the first 8 games of 2013 following the December horror show got us 6 points (didnt realise it was that low) first 8 games of 2014 we have picked up 8 points again a better return, before the 10 games to go mark we lost at home to Man City so we were still stuck on 24 points after 28 games, then we clicked and won 5 drew 2 and only lost 3 of our final 10 games, im not saying we will repeat that late run of form but we will be going into it in a less desperate situation, as fans we are in a very bad place but this time last season we surely must have all been feeling a whole lot worse and yet turned things around, It will be close but we will do enough to survive, tin hat on and heading for cover.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2014, 01:56:12 AM »
Six points from Norwich and Stoke. It would be nice to keep Mourinho's barren run at Villa Park going and take a point off them, but they will be gearing up for the final run at the title you would imagine.

You were sure we'd beat Cardiff and Barcodes  >:(

Has Mourinho never won at VP in the league?

Offline VillaSpen

« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2014, 04:16:52 AM »
Aston Villa 4-3 Norwich.

Snodgrass scores 3 free kicks to put Norwich 3-0 up inside 4 minutes. With fifteen minutes remaining Grant Holt  bundles in what seems like scant consolation but Nathan Redmond stabs home 3 own goals in injury time as his confusion over just who he grew up supporting gets the better of him.

Aston Villa 3-0 Chelsea.

Roman Abramovich forces Jose to conceded the game to spare him from being shot with another shit-eating grin from Sir Doug. Jose remembers his record at Villa Park and puts up a minor fuss but gets over it.

Aston Villa 1-0 Stoke City.

The rest of Charlie Adam's teeth fall out in the warm-up and Peter Crouch sprains his ankle on them. Both players miss out and Villa win a dull encounter.

Manchester United 0-8 Aston Villa.

United are now shit and, buoyed by a great recent run, Villa ease gently into them and then go to town. Agbonlahor gets 5, Albrighton 2 and Brad Guzan scores a penalty in the last minute.

What were we worried about?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal