collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 08:31:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:29:13 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Scratchins
[Today at 08:23:18 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:13:33 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by algy
[Today at 07:57:27 AM]

Re: FFP by algy
[Today at 07:51:30 AM]

Re: FFP by Rigadon
[Today at 07:24:35 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 07:18:33 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The cycling thread  (Read 98353 times)

Online Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
Re: The cycling thread
« Reply #375 on: February 21, 2019, 11:23:35 AM »
Great article on the BBC website about suffering, great read, these lads and lasses are nails.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/47278392

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #376 on: March 19, 2019, 09:28:59 PM »
Team Right-wing Media Magnate has morphed into Team Full On Brexiteer In Monaco Tax Exile But Still Wants To Frack His Homeland.

For all of their achievements, they don't half chose sponsors that make them difficult to like.

Online Jon Crofts

« Reply #377 on: April 22, 2019, 08:07:56 PM »
Snapped my frame on my S-Works Venge on Sunday, new frame time.
Think I picked up some debris in the chain that went into the rear mech, jammed it causing the mech hanger to snap and smashed it into the seat stay. 6 years old but thankfully Specialized have an assisted purchase scheme for crash damage.

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #378 on: April 22, 2019, 09:16:47 PM »
Will it be classed as crash damage?

Not tempted with one of the fancy new aeros like the SystemSix or the Mad One? Or are you getting a Sagan branded frame?

Online Jon Crofts

« Reply #379 on: April 23, 2019, 07:02:35 PM »
Yes it’s acceptable as crash damage.

I want to stick with rim brakes and I ride a 61cm frame, Spesh only do disc brakes on Venge now so this is an issue. Mad one geometry doesn’t suit me, top tube length is too short and needs a fuck off sized stem to get me comfy, never had a Canondale so don’t know much about the System Six.

My local Specialized concept store have come up with an amazing solution.

I’ll be riding a brand new unused team issue HTC High Road 61cm S-Works Venge from 2013 by Saturday, in fact it has Bernard Eisel’s name on the frame which I may take off or maybe not. It sat unused by HTC High Road for the 2014 season and was given to the store to hang on the wall a couple of years ago but they never did.  Support you local bike shop and this is what happens, Evans, Wiggle and Chain Reaction would have had me buying a new frame.

Offline Somniloquism

« Reply #380 on: April 23, 2019, 10:10:04 PM »
I didn't realise the Concept Stores were classed as LBS's. Sounds like a good deal but surprised you went for Rim breaks on an aero bike now all the manufacturers state the newer disc designs are more aero with minimal weight penalties. However if it means an ex pro frame..... BTW, do you have your dates right as HTC High Road folded in 2011 according to Wiki. Also a shame it wasn't the McClaren Venge.

Online Jon Crofts

« Reply #381 on: April 24, 2019, 08:58:26 AM »
My local Concept store is owned and operated by a local bike shop, in my case it’s next door to my LBS, owned and run by the same bloke. 
I went for rim brakes because I’m not about to drop £2k on a disc wheelset when I have a £2k rim braked set that’s in perfect order. Assisted purchase would get me 40% off a new Venge frameset, that’s still around £3500 to find plus a new wheelset.

You’re right about the dates though, very odd. It’s definitely a 2013 frameset as it has the updated seat tube.
McLaren Venge, now I’m dribbling, like hens teeth, only ever seen one before. 101 grams lighter than the S-Works for £1500 more than the S.

Offline Somniloquism

« Reply #382 on: April 24, 2019, 12:19:29 PM »
I forgot it was just the frame and all other parts were ok, (plus new hoods and brakes required as well). I hope it all goes well on the changeover. If you get to keep the old frame it might be worth looking at CF repair places as some of the vids Bridgewood did for CW and GCN did looks like they could get it to a near perfect state again.

I wouldn't mind an Aero as my n+1 and a SystemSix at the London bike show with the new SRAM 12 Speeds looked the bomb. However I suspect a more aggressive bike will ultimately be slightly too uncomfortable and as I can do a reasonable lick on my Endurace (17-19mph average with Compact gearing) I probably will go for a similar frame but lighter and with e- gears of some type.

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #383 on: April 24, 2019, 12:22:52 PM »
Bought myself a carbon cross country MTB just before Christmas.  Best thing I've ever bought for myself and the only expensive thing I've bought where I haven't suffered buyers remorse.

https://www.cube.eu/en/2018/bikes/mountainbike/hardtail/reaction/cube-reaction-c62-race-carbonngrey-2018/

Online Jon Crofts

« Reply #384 on: April 24, 2019, 01:12:58 PM »
I forgot it was just the frame and all other parts were ok, (plus new hoods and brakes required as well). I hope it all goes well on the changeover. If you get to keep the old frame it might be worth looking at CF repair places as some of the vids Bridgewood did for CW and GCN did looks like they could get it to a near perfect state again.

I wouldn't mind an Aero as my n+1 and a SystemSix at the London bike show with the new SRAM 12 Speeds looked the bomb. However I suspect a more aggressive bike will ultimately be slightly too uncomfortable and as I can do a reasonable lick on my Endurace (17-19mph average with Compact gearing) I probably will go for a similar frame but lighter and with e- gears of some type.

According to Mark the owner of the bike shop I should easily get £500-700 for the frame On eBay even damaged.
My n+1 is going to be a Tarmac self build with the absolute lightest components available with the aim of it being UCI illegal!

Online Jon Crofts

« Reply #385 on: April 26, 2019, 05:25:46 PM »

A few finishing touches and should be ready for tomorrow’s chain gang.

Offline Somniloquism

« Reply #386 on: April 27, 2019, 01:54:11 PM »
Got that built up fast.

Online Jon Crofts

« Reply #387 on: April 27, 2019, 04:10:53 PM »
Got that built up fast.

Was a doddle mate, straight swap same bike to same bike, didn't need to cut cables or outers, Di2 cabling slipped straight in, seat post marked up and swapped over, stem & bars swapped over.  Need to slam the stem, far too many spacers for my liking.

Online ajmant

« Reply #388 on: May 09, 2019, 09:40:55 AM »
For those doing the Velo on Sunday, can anyone tell me where they intend to park? I have a roof carrier so struggling for any NCP car parks and beyond that it's not looking good!

ANy suggestions please!? I don't really fancy adding another 5 miles either side of the 100 mile ride if I can help it!

Offline Somniloquism

« Reply #389 on: May 09, 2019, 08:08:28 PM »
Just off Five Ways island on Calthorpe Road is a small car park that is free parking on Sunday Right on the corner where Lloyds Bank is. The road will be closed at 8ish just past there as it is on the return route so be careful of being locked in if you go too far up the road. Or there is some offices car parks just past the Costa. Apex House has a security guard so that will be a no go but most of the others might be free. There are some private signs about parking but I doubt they patrol on the Weekends.

Will probably have to cycle a mile or so down to the start finish from there.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal