collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:14:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 09:05:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The cycling thread  (Read 98357 times)

Offline aj2k77

Re: The cycling thread
« Reply #300 on: December 13, 2017, 10:56:28 PM »
The mans back story is and always was a joke.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #301 on: December 14, 2017, 02:11:18 PM »
Indeed, I've always had my doubts and always wanted it not to be true but this is just daft.

Salbutamol is literally kids stuff, its in every fat schoolkids inhaler but the levels he's been tested with simply cannot be inhaled, it is not a performance enhancer more a performance enabler and even in liquid form it's been proven to not be beneficial and to cause palpitations. Something not right here.

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #302 on: December 14, 2017, 03:04:44 PM »
Indeed, I've always had my doubts and always wanted it not to be true but this is just daft.

Salbutamol is literally kids stuff, its in every fat schoolkids inhaler but the levels he's been tested with simply cannot be inhaled, it is not a performance enhancer more a performance enabler and even in liquid form it's been proven to not be beneficial and to cause palpitations. Something not right here.

I read to today though that the levels equate to 8 puffs in 12 hours? If that is true that is hardly excessive?

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #303 on: December 14, 2017, 03:16:59 PM »

I read to today though that the levels equate to 8 puffs in 12 hours? If that is true that is hardly excessive?

Well according to the rules that is excessive, 1600 micro grams per 24 hours or half that in a 12 hour period, thems the rules. Froome didn't break the limit by 1 or 2% he broke it by 100%.

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #304 on: December 15, 2017, 11:35:37 AM »
Cath Wiggins had a bit of an outburst on Twitter calling Froome 'a slithering reptile'

Fair play I say.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #305 on: December 15, 2017, 12:16:39 PM »
I read to today though that the levels equate to 8 puffs in 12 hours?

I'm bursting like Finbarr Saunders here

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #306 on: December 16, 2017, 08:26:17 AM »

Well according to the rules that is excessive, 1600 micro grams per 24 hours or half that in a 12 hour period, thems the rules. Froome didn't break the limit by 1 or 2% he broke it by 100%.

Excessive for sure in terms of what is permitted, but I would say perfectly possible in terms of puffs per 12 hours.

The stupidity is the stupidity of it all.

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #307 on: December 17, 2017, 12:48:52 PM »

Excessive for sure in terms of what is permitted, but I would say perfectly possible in terms of puffs per 12 hours.

The stupidity is the stupidity of it all.

Salbutamol is classed as a masking agent by WADA, so ask yourself why you'd need that much and was it even in vaporised form or was it taken in liquid form?

This stinks.

Offline thick_mike

• GM : 26.02.2025
« Reply #308 on: December 17, 2017, 01:09:46 PM »
In more positive news, I pass Steve Abrahams most days on my way to and from work.

http://oneyeartimetrial.org.uk

He’s trying the break the record for the longest distance cycled in a year. Despite snow, ice, health problems and being knocked off his bike and ending up in hospital, he’s still going to hit 1000 Miles this week.

Apparently when the paramedics scraped him off the road and put him in the ambulance, they were worried about his heart rate being 37bpm...he just told them that was normal for him.

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #309 on: January 05, 2018, 04:59:35 PM »
Unfortunately It will have to be a superhuman effort between now and the end of March to get the mens record. Which is shame as he is the only one to do it on a normal bike constantly and continuously on public roads rather then the same park for 16 hours a day or ultra flat country. I'm not denigrating the achievements of the last two holders as they still performed an incredible feat, it is just that this is the closest it has come to a pure attempt like Godwin without massive assistance.

Offline thick_mike

• GM : 26.02.2025
« Reply #310 on: January 10, 2018, 08:30:01 AM »
Unfortunately It will have to be a superhuman effort between now and the end of March to get the mens record. Which is shame as he is the only one to do it on a normal bike constantly and continuously on public roads rather then the same park for 16 hours a day or ultra flat country. I'm not denigrating the achievements of the last two holders as they still performed an incredible feat, it is just that this is the closest it has come to a pure attempt like Godwin without massive assistance.

Yes, he is pretty much solo the whole time. Doing it in the UK has obvious problems for much of the year. Snow, ice, wind, rain, he cycles through it all. Much less to contend with in other climates. The road I usually see him on is a main single carriageway A road (A505). Lorries and cars thundering past at 60 mph all day. It’s nuts really, he could have chosen a much easier route!

Offline Jon Crofts

« Reply #311 on: January 11, 2018, 08:22:09 AM »
As much as I love riding a bike (and I've seriously looked into doing the RAAM (Ride Across America)) the thought of cycling day after day on UK roads, in UK weather & with UK road users leaves me absolutely cold. What's doubly impressive about this seemingly now failed attempt is the elevation gain which puts pro riders to shame!

Hopefully when he's done he'll add some stats like number of punctures, chains, cassettes & other consumables he went through during the course of the year.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #312 on: March 05, 2018, 10:44:00 AM »
Cath Wiggins had a bit of an outburst on Twitter calling Froome 'a slithering reptile'

Fair play I say.

She had much to say on Twitter today?

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #313 on: March 05, 2018, 01:23:29 PM »
This is all very disheartening. 

I wanted to believe two of the greatest athletes the UK has produced were genuine winners, now it's almost impossible to tell what is genuine medicine (asthma) from performance helping, but legal (Wiggins). 

What are we talking here, stripping knighthoods?  What about his gold medal form the Olympics, is that under scrutiny as well?

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #314 on: March 05, 2018, 03:56:32 PM »
This is all very disheartening. 

I wanted to believe two of the greatest athletes the UK has produced were genuine winners, now it's almost impossible to tell what is genuine medicine (asthma) from performance helping, but legal (Wiggins). 

What are we talking here, stripping knighthoods?  What about his gold medal form the Olympics, is that under scrutiny as well?

For me the whole thing is a bit of a non-story, he took a steroid, with approval from UKAD and WADA, some people believe it was for performance benefits, he denies it.  Another rumour suggests he may have taken a banned substance after he'd finished a race. Even the wording from UKAD on that one is backwards "Ukad brought no charges after concluding its investigation in November 2017 but said it had been "unable" to prove the package contained fluimucil" surely what they were supposed to be doing was proving it contained something illegal, which they couldn't find any evidence for.

Whether you like him not, whether you think there's something more to this or not, there's not really much going on, certainly not enough for it to be the massive story it's presented as.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal