collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:51:04 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:50:22 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:48:48 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:44:10 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Exeter 77
[Today at 06:32:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Villa in Denmark
[Today at 06:32:28 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 06:32:23 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Paul.S
[Today at 06:29:35 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The cycling thread  (Read 98411 times)

Online ian c.

• GM : 19.06.2024
Re: The cycling thread
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 04:03:37 PM »
I have a Dialled Bikes Prince Albert, which I mostly ride along the trails along the river here (south of Munich.)

I am getting old and fat and I am rapidly losing courage,  so I'm nowhere near as hardcore as the bike.

Flat pedals for me.

Anyone got a touring bike?  I'm toying with the idea of getting one.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2014, 01:03:51 PM »
By touring bike I assume you mean something for long distances that can take mudguards, panniers & weighs a ton.

You might be better off looking at a road bike with geometry for Sportive riding, ie 100+ mile days in relative comfort, Specialized Roubaix or Felt Z Series bikes all have Sportive geometry, not too aggressive, a trade off between speed & comfort. 

Offline Eckybloke

• GM : 06.06.2019
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2014, 03:04:53 PM »
You might be better off looking at a road bike with geometry for Sportive riding, ie 100+ mile days in relative comfort, Specialized Roubaix or Felt Z Series bikes all have Sportive geometry, not too aggressive, a trade off between speed & comfort. 

Throw the Trek Domane in there too.  I got one last year and found it really comfortable on long rides.

Online ian c.

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2014, 09:48:58 AM »
By touring bike I assume you mean something for long distances that can take mudguards, panniers & weighs a ton.

Yep, that's the sort of thing I was thinking about.  I have an unhealthy steel frame fixation and was looking at the Specialized AWOL and Kona Sutra.

I've not been on a bike with drop bars since I was 16 so I'm struggling to get my head around how much shorter the top tube should be compared to my mountain bike.

I will take a look at the models you suggest.

Offline N'Rexy

• GM : Jan, 2012
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2014, 10:38:49 PM »
Get a Cyclo Cross bike. Will also allow you to do some off roading on footpaths and will be very durable. Lots of options out there. Go for disc brakes, they are amazing. Lots of them will have room for mudguards. Surly, Genesis both offer steel framed models. The Croix de Ferre (spelling) is especially good.

Online ian c.

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2014, 04:42:53 PM »
Get a Cyclo Cross bike. Will also allow you to do some off roading on footpaths and will be very durable. Lots of options out there. Go for disc brakes, they are amazing. Lots of them will have room for mudguards. Surly, Genesis both offer steel framed models. The Croix de Ferre (spelling) is especially good.

Not a bad shout that. The Croix looks pretty good. Could do with a bit lower gearing for the climbs though.

Offline N'Rexy

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2014, 09:54:02 PM »
You should be able to get it with a compact chain set and Cyclo X bikes generally come with lower gearing anyway. I have a Ridley carbon X Fire which I use for racing and blasting around parks and trails.

Offline 17081974

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2014, 11:26:54 PM »
Just came back from the Mangapurua/Bridge to Nowhere track and it was outstanding, some of the bluff riding was scary to say the left, shear cliff wall to the right and shear cliff face to the left and about 1/2 metre of track to ride on...

The getting picked up by jetboat to stay in accommodation... outstanding..

Online eric woolban woolban

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2014, 06:55:00 PM »
Got myself a boardman hybrid last September.  I just cannot ride a road bike and like the fact you can ride upright.

Try to have rides out at the weekend but only when the weather is fine.

Contemplating riding to work a couple of times a month.

Offline N'Rexy

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2014, 07:31:42 PM »
Try it at least once a week or you won't feel much benefit. How far is it?

Online eric woolban woolban

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2014, 08:53:11 PM »
Only 6.5 miles. Trouble is I can only really do it on a Tuesday and Friday as I commit to the gym Monday and Wednesday and play football Thursday.

Offline N'Rexy

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2014, 10:13:45 AM »
Try it once a week then with a few extra miles thrown in on one of the journeys. If you can make both legs last more than 30 mins and extend one to an hour you'll get something out of it.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2014, 07:52:15 PM »
I just bought a new wheelset for the roadie so the 808 Zipps can go onto the TT.  There's a job for the weekend, swapping cassettes and brake pads, anything to get out of cutting the grass.

Offline 17081974

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2014, 09:09:16 PM »
Where do you get your parts from Jon, I use http://www.chainreactioncycles.com and http://www.torpedo7.com

Offline N'Rexy

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2014, 10:43:32 PM »
Watch your credit card statement with Chain Reaction. Have been numerous claims via their website.

I used to use Parkers which has now shut down so it's wiggle, rutland, and the local bike shop for me (not in that order).

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal