collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Paul Lambert Interview from Sky today  (Read 15098 times)

Online kippaxvilla2

Re: Paul Lambert Interview from Sky today
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2014, 11:10:41 AM »
I'm not a massive fan of his current style of play and still don't know what has happened the style of play that won Norwich many plaudits.  However I've said it before and ill say it again, the implied brief for 'success' at the club nowadays is survival in the league.  Mid table is now seen as achievement so to that end he is successful.  Whether or not someone else would be capable of putting a better side together with the limitations of the wage structure, or, whether they could make these players play better is perhaps a more pertinent question.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2014, 11:13:00 AM »
When he opens with "we are never going to win the league", does he mean this season, or ever?

There is a line between being realistic and being downright fucking dour!!!

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2014, 11:19:31 AM »
When he opens with "we are never going to win the league", does he mean this season, or ever?

There is a line between being realistic and being downright fucking dour!!!

Well I retire in 2034 so there's always hope we might be able to compete by then but I'm sure people who were 20 years from retirement 10 years after the last FA Cup win would have been saying the same thing about that.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 11:22:09 AM by kippaxvilla2 »

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2014, 11:29:48 AM »
He's pretty coy when speaking to the media.  You'd struggle to find the sound bites from that interview to create a written story, in many ways the complete opposite of say Redknapp.  I hope he's more dynamic and forceful when speaking to the team and describing his vision to them.
I think this is it.
Lambert is not an inarticulate numpty IMO; rather, I think he treats the media exposure with great caution and is not prepared to be 'caught out' by them. He probably is not prepared to say things that may come back to haunt either him or RL.

Am I being too charitable to him?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 11:32:02 AM by Mister E »

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2014, 11:35:31 AM »
For somebody who does not want to say the wrong thing to the media he made a right  dog's Full English of his words about the FA Cup.   If that excruciating debacle is anything to go by he would be better off simply speaking freely.   I for one would not mind knowing a bit more about what is really going on at Villa Park.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 11:38:23 AM by brian green »

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2014, 12:24:21 PM »
What uninspiring inarticulate crap. He cant string an intelligible sentence together. No vision, he actually said "mid table or a little bit higher"

His team and tactics reflect his personality and character. Not very bright and totally lacking any excitement..

He is safe in the mediocrity bubble with Lerner and Faulkner. If ever there was evidence to show why these people should not be running this club, this interview demonstrated this perfectly.
The modern Aston Villa, no ambition and zero entertainment.

Do you really take that much offence at it, though? The interview, I mean? I just watched it through, and to be honest, I don't see the big deal.

He was talking about possession but said you also need a cutting edge. That's surely one of the most obvious statements anyone could make about football? I don't really see how we can draw much from that other than just take it at face value.

The fact is, we're never, ever going to get any real insight of any true value from a standard interview with Sky Sports like that.

As for inarticulate, he sounded relatively cogent to me.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2014, 12:58:08 PM »
I would sooner be listening to a Ron Atkinson interview.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2014, 01:25:07 PM »
One of Paul Franks pathetic and, frankly, unprofessional gripes about Lambert recently was the fact that he "mumbles" and sounds more Scottish than he did when he arrived at Villa.

I watched most of the interview and indeed it was dour, low key, rather neutral in approach and the polar opposite of what you would get from the likes of Big Ron.

He reminded me of Ron Saunders, who only came out with one truly memorable line from my recollection when he faced the media. And that goes to show that there is little to link a great personality with a successful football team.

I have plenty of complaints about Lambert and his interview style is all but bottom of the list.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2014, 01:57:26 PM »
What uninspiring inarticulate crap. He cant string an intelligible sentence together. No vision, he actually said "mid table or a little bit higher"

His team and tactics reflect his personality and character. Not very bright and totally lacking any excitement..

He is safe in the mediocrity bubble with Lerner and Faulkner. If ever there was evidence to show why these people should not be running this club, this interview demonstrated this perfectly.
The modern Aston Villa, no ambition and zero entertainment.

I didn't bother watching it because I knew that this is exactly what any of his incoherent utterings would make me feel. So thanks Chicago for confirming what I suspected. I completely agree, he's not very bright is he? As you say, the modern Aston Villa, depressing and boring, zero ambition, zero entertainment, zero hope

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2014, 02:00:41 PM »
Making a judgment on something you couldn't be bothered to watch?

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2014, 02:17:37 PM »
He reminded me of Ron Saunders, who only came out with one truly memorable line from my recollection when he faced the media.

That's bloody blasphemy, Nev. When Saunders spoke, we Villa fans knew exactly what he was saying, it was the media that didn't get it.

Lambert comes across as very comfortable and in no great rush. The most interesting thing he said or hinted at was again mentioning the plans that have been going on behind the scenes that will be of great future benefit to the club. Post match he generally talks bollocks but I think that was one of his better interviews, not that he said a great deal but understanding how he likes the pressure and wants to be at the club for the long haul gives the impression he's a man with a plan - at least away from the pitch.

If I wanted to get pissed off with him it was his comments about Newcastle and how their loyal fans rightly expect them to win at Sid James Park. Considering he currently has the worst home record in over 40 years at Villa Park makes his comment just a bit rich.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2014, 02:20:47 PM »
How can you completely agree with something when you haven't watched the video? I mean, there is no point in watching it as you have already formed an opinion anyway.

Offline Slaphead

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2014, 02:45:20 PM »
Making a judgment on something you couldn't be bothered to watch?

To be fair, I love watching people comment about Villa's performance when they didn't even watch the game live/on TV/stream or even MOTD.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2014, 03:44:56 PM »
He reminded me of Ron Saunders, who only came out with one truly memorable line from my recollection when he faced the media.

That's bloody blasphemy, Nev. When Saunders spoke, we Villa fans knew exactly what he was saying, it was the media that didn't get it.

Lambert comes across as very comfortable and in no great rush. The most interesting thing he said or hinted at was again mentioning the plans that have been going on behind the scenes that will be of great future benefit to the club. Post match he generally talks bollocks but I think that was one of his better interviews, not that he said a great deal but understanding how he likes the pressure and wants to be at the club for the long haul gives the impression he's a man with a plan - at least away from the pitch.

If I wanted to get pissed off with him it was his comments about Newcastle and how their loyal fans rightly expect them to win at Sid James Park. Considering he currently has the worst home record in over 40 years at Villa Park makes his comment just a bit rich.

but I also thinks the same of us too and they we expect us to win. The fact that he hasn't been able to solve it is a problem, but the statement itself is accurate.

Offline eastie

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2014, 04:00:40 PM »
I'd be fine with mid table if we were middle on points, but sadly we are 4 points from the bottom 3 and 9 points off 9th. Not losing to lower league opposition in the cups every time would be a bonus too.

Back to the interview... dour and incomprehensible, just like his tactics.

Totally agree.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal