collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Super Tommy Johnson  (Read 9642 times)

Online kippaxvilla2

Re: Super Tommy Johnson
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2014, 10:59:40 AM »
Didn't he puke up on the pitch a few times?

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2014, 11:22:42 AM »
Against Spurs at home he did for sure - the game where Bossie clattered Klinsmann and Deano got the winner.

Offline Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2014, 12:51:01 PM »

He definitely puked up in the centre circle shortly into his VP debut. It was quite something.

Offline supertom

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2014, 06:35:31 PM »

He definitely puked up in the centre circle shortly into his VP debut. It was quite something.
I'm surprised that Benteke doesn't blow chunks more often when he sees the state of the service behind him sometimes. ;)

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2014, 06:49:04 PM »
There aren't many players who played for a relatively short time for us that remain as universally popular as Super Tommy Johnson.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2014, 07:15:25 PM »
Top man was Super Tommy Johnson, great read too that interview. What a great team we had back then.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2014, 08:54:59 PM »
looking back on the some of those goals and those seasons it seemed so much better that the internet didn't exist and we didn't spend hours on end cutting everything to pieces. Over time, the good times were great and the bad times were never as bad. But in truth some of those years in the mid 80's, and 90's were every bit as shit as some of the years we've endured recently. Worse in many cases. But we only had our eyes, the radio, some TV and the Mail/Argus to share with us the goings on at the club. In many ways, it was much better knowing less.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2014, 09:56:56 PM »
He had some funny goal celebrations aswell, shame I ditched my VHS ages ago as I always enjoyed watching the 96/97 season review DVD which was pretty basic compared to today's slick productions.

Anyway he scored a penalty in one game, did a forward role and then folded his arms with Ian Taylor which was quite amusing. He also did that finger to his lips celebration for a few of his other goals.

We had a really good team in the mid 90s right through the side. Also seemed a really good team spirit there...well until Stan and Curcic turned up....

Offline Grande Pablo

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2014, 10:22:58 PM »
The goal against Boro away was liquid football.

The two goals up at Boro, with Wright's volley, were two of the best goals you will ever see. Complete contrast, a wonder volley and about 30 passes of total football, but it was great.

The 4-1 down at West Ham was magic too.

He used to be at the Newcastle away games a few years ago in our end, although I always remember him for throwing up. I cannot recall if it was against Man City or Sheffield Wednesday?

That season was so full of magical away days - WHU away when Johnson came on for Townsend early, QPR away with Spink playing up front, Boro New Years Day, & the Arsenal League Cup SF.

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2014, 10:44:08 PM »

I think he did v West Ham at home as well. We lost 2-0

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2014, 04:57:36 AM »

Penalty vs Derby plus celebration. I also remember him smacking the crossbar with a scorcher in this one but its not in this clip. This match also saw Curcic debut as a sub and he looked like Pele.

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2014, 08:39:36 AM »
Didn't he miss a sitter against Leicester and then scored a scorcher in the Leicester 4-4.

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2014, 10:14:52 AM »
Didn't he miss a sitter against Leicester and then scored a scorcher in the Leicester 4-4.

yes he hit the underside of the bar from close-range but Yorke knocked in the rebound.

Offline peter w

« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2014, 11:21:41 AM »
Bizarre to see this thread. Just the other day I was reading a last season copy of H&V with a piece about Tommy Johnson being a scapegoat at the time. It made me think of two things. First, that I didn't agree with the article and second, that it reminded me of the exciting team we had at the time under Sir Bri and how Tommy Johnson was very much part of that squad.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2014, 10:14:22 PM »
Fear not, my son; you are forgiven...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal