collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Super Tommy Johnson  (Read 9644 times)

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
Re: Super Tommy Johnson
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2014, 03:47:24 PM »
God, do I have to be reminded how good it used to be and what supporting Aston Villa used to mean; it's like reading about another club altogether, one I recognise far more than the mid/lower table crap I am now witness too. Still, another couple of seasons of aspiring to 12th and I'm sure my sights will be fully adjusted

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2014, 08:37:40 PM »
Them were the days when i use to look forward to home games and i always liked Tommy Johnson ,i thought he was underated and was sad to see him leave

Offline Karlos96

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2014, 09:14:34 PM »
The goal against Boro away was liquid football.

The two goals up at Boro, with Wright's volley, were two of the best goals you will ever see. Complete contrast, a wonder volley and about 30 passes of total football, but it was great.

The 4-1 down at West Ham was magic too.

He used to be at the Newcastle away games a few years ago in our end, although I always remember him for throwing up. I cannot recall if it was against Man City or Sheffield Wednesday?

I love both the goals in the Boro game, I wish I could find some highlights that show just how good the build up to the second goal was it was a joy to watch.

I remembering him throwing up I think it was against Spurs might have been his home debut?

I always really liked him as a player he wasn't the most gifted of players but he always gave it his all and he seems like a really nice guy.  I always felt sorry for him in the League Final in 96 I wish he had got to come on as a sub I think he deserved that, he seemed to celebrate more than anyone else that day though.  Seems a such a long time ago now that team they were so good to watch I hope those days come back soon.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2014, 09:17:36 PM »
God, do I have to be reminded how good it used to be and what supporting Aston Villa used to mean; it's like reading about another club altogether, one I recognise far more than the mid/lower table crap I am now witness too. Still, another couple of seasons of aspiring to 12th and I'm sure my sights will be fully adjusted

Remember how good we were the season before?

Offline richard moore

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2014, 09:34:26 PM »

Remember how good we were the season before?

Sure do Dave, it was always good in those days. You felt something good was round the corner and that things would change. And we'd sign some exciting players. And there was an aspiration, nay expectation, for us to finish high up in the league.

Online Flamingo Lane

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2014, 09:41:54 PM »
One of the best performances I've seen from a Villa team was the 2-2 at Highbury in the first leg league cup semi final when we came back from 2-0 down, and Tommy Johnson had a storming game.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2014, 09:47:12 PM »
He nearly bloody fucked that chance up against Wolves.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2014, 09:49:05 PM »
Those were the days. Can't believe it was so long ago.

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2014, 11:04:15 PM »
He nearly bloody fucked that chance up against Wolves.

He did. Very nearly. I didn't mind. Especially as I met my sole Wolf supporting work colleague walking up towards Perry Barr after the game. They played well that night and we were very average although Ugo turned Bwooll-eeee inside out on one occasion. Made him look like a rank amateur.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2014, 09:24:24 AM »

The season before: one place above relegation and an average attendance of less than 30,000?

Offline Lizz

• GM : 16.03.2022
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2014, 09:32:47 AM »
He always struck me as someone who appreciated how lucky he was to be a professional footballer.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2014, 09:49:54 AM »
One game at Newcastle, which I think was the one where the stand to our right was under construction, Tommy Johnson was sitting behind us, full of smiles as ever.
I remember the time when he had to go off at Ipswich. My son, who would only have been about 4 at the time, started crying. When we asked him what was the matter, he said it was because Tommy Johnson had gone off.
Tommy Johnson was a credit to the club and had an insatiable appetite for the game.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2014, 09:51:58 AM »
One game at Newcastle, which I think was the one where the stand to our right was under construction, Tommy Johnson was sitting behind us, full of smiles as ever.
I remember the time when he had to go off at Ipswich. My son, who would only have been about 4 at the time, started crying. When we asked him what was the matter, he said it was because Tommy Johnson had gone off.
Tommy Johnson was a credit to the club and had an insatiable appetite for the game.

That sums him up.  Tommy Johnson, not your son.

Offline richard moore

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2014, 10:28:23 AM »

The season before: one place above relegation and an average attendance of less than 30,000?

Yep, it was never as dull or as uninspiring as is now. I remember that season very well and there was still hope, a sense we would very quickly rise again and were in a totally false position.

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2014, 10:45:18 AM »
1994-95 we had a very team of players that was getting on a bit and BFR couldn't seem to motivate them or drop favoured players anymore. There were still far more memorable games - and even highlights - than we have had in the last 3 seasons. As for the attendences, they were lower all around the league at that time. Remember in our case the Holte was under construction for half the season and the country was in a nasty recession.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal