collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How long have you gone without knowing the result of a Villa game just played?  (Read 10283 times)

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
I went for a few days for the 2000 FA cup final, flying out to Hawaii at 3pm that day, had to wait for the video to be fedexed from LA. What a let down...

This is a pertinent question for me.

Last night I was wondering how many points we will have by the 1st of April.
I'll then be offline/incommunicado in a Spanish mountain valley for 4months as I'm getting ordained into the Buddhist order I've been training for, for quite a few years.

Never mind missing the World Cup (a wise senior Buddhist teacher pointed out I didn't need to worry about missing England winning anything for a few years yet) but I'll have to 'be with' not knowing if we are safe....

I'd ask for predictions, but what's the point... I'll get my phone back late July :O

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
This is a pertinent question for me.

Last night I was wondering how many points we will have by the 1st of April.
I'll then be offline/incommunicado in a Spanish mountain valley for 4months as I'm getting ordained into the Buddhist order I've been training for, for quite a few years.
The answer is as alway 42.
So go in peace, stay in peace and complete your task.

Offline dcdavecollett

I as cycle-touring in Holland and Belgium in August 1987. I had to wait a couple of days to find out that we had drawn 1-1 at Ipswich -GT Mk 1's first game.

I spent the rest of the week wondering who the scorer was. When I got back to Brum, I found out it had been an own goal...

Offline Handsworth Wood Villa

• TRS-T
I avoid all the scores until Match of the Day every week.

Online Deano's Mullet

Even the Villa games? Blimey.

Offline Broughty-Villian

U
pto 3 days when I was working in Egypt 93-94 season, Feb March time. I was working in a place called Ras Shukir, and we had to get results faxed down to us from the RACAL office in Cairo IF they weren't pissed on Saturday evening, and then on Monday the games and oranjeboom would be trucked down to us.

Offline Damo70

I as cycle-touring in Holland and Belgium in August 1987. I had to wait a couple of days to find out that we had drawn 1-1 at Ipswich -GT Mk 1's first game.

I spent the rest of the week wondering who the scorer was. When I got back to Brum, I found out it had been an own goal...

Was it somebody called O'Donnell who scored the own goal? That was the name that popped into my head when I read your post.

Offline Handsworth Wood Villa

• TRS-T

Even the Villa games? Blimey.

Yes, unless we are live on Sky.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Looks like there's nothing under the bridge again.

Online Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
How did we survive pre Internet?

Stand outside Dixons and watch the scores come through on the tellies. I sort of miss it.

I used to try and time my breaks at my Saturday job in a supermarket for the half time and full time scores so I could go and look at a telly through a shop window. Work didn't like me taking my lunch at 3.45 though! Failing that an Everton fan used to come in fairly late and was usually good for getting the info.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
I remember me and my Dad avoiding all news about the 1977 League Cup Final 2nd replay at Old Trafford.....it was so worth it watching the whole drama unfold on the highlights programme.....""for a team that's behind...Villa's play is orderly and composed"" 

love it !
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 02:11:45 PM by Dr Butler »

Offline eastie

I remember me and my Dad avoiding all news about the 1977 League Cup Final 2nd replay at Old Trafford.....it was so worth it watching the whole drama unfold on the highlights programme.....""for a team that's behind...Villa's play is orderly and composed"" 

love it !

Oh yes , sportsnight I believe with me carpenter presenting it on that wondrous evening - fond memories indeed :)

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Looks like there's nothing under the bridge again.

He can't be a troll for eschewing the modern world and instead waiting patiently for 10.30pm on Sats, can he?

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
Villa v Everton from earlier this season. On route to L.A but a big delay meant I heard the updates from the first half at VP. So I knew it was 0-0.

By the time we got to California, we didn't have any WiFi connection on day 1, eventually found an Apple shop in Santa Monica - straight on an IPad, two days after the event, saying rather loudly "Oh come on, we lost 2-0!"

Offline dcdavecollett

Damo - yeah, O'Donnell rings a bell with me, too.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal