collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How long have you gone without knowing the result of a Villa game just played?  (Read 10237 times)

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
Got the result of our opening 2-2 draw at home to Millwall on our return to the top flight from a French newspaper on a family holiday some time during the following week. 

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Villa were founded in 1874 and I didn't take any interest till my dad took me to a game in 1988.

So, 114 years.

Offline MONCABA

92,93 season when we beat Liverpool  4-2 with Deano s double. I was at my nieces wedding and didnt find out the score till 1.30 am the following morning when the  morning paper's were  delivered to the hotel.

Offline eric woolban woolban

How did we survive pre Internet?

My longest is if I avoid the score and then watch the game 'live' via the highlights.
Last time was when we beat west brom the other week as I was at a pantomime.

Maybe I should do it more often

Offline Pat McMahon

Longest for me was up a mountain in Nepal in October 1996 for 8 days and no access to anything electrical - gas and solar powered equipment only. Even when I got back to Kathmandu I had to run around town for a few hours to find out that Bossie had decided to audition for the role of a Nazi in the Sound of Music.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
I still don't know what the score was when we beat Yanited in the League Cup Final.   We had only two tickets between me and my sons so I waited outside.   After the game they were as jubilant as all the other Villa fans so I knew we had won.   The score did not matter.

Offline Matt Collins

I can barely think of an occasion since about 1992 that I've left it more than a couple of hours

When I think of all the hours and hours of my life spent on something that i don't even enjoy most of the time! Wow.

Online Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
Mine must be about 36 hours. Thinking back to overseas holidays in the early 90's, before Sky & internet, UK papers were a day old when you got them. So 4.45pm on Saturday to 10ish on the Monday when I brought a Sunday paper.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
A mate of mine who if he's not been to the game, waits until MOTD to see how we get on. I'm not sure I could do that personally.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
Up until recently I used to do that for some Sunday games.

The experience that soured me on doing that was when we lost 6-0 at Newcastle under Kevin MacDonald. I'm well known round here for supporting the Villa and a couple of hours after the game I was out for a run when some random stranger came over to take the piss. I thought they were joking. :(

Offline The Left Side

The longest I have been is the next day as I was traveling across the Atlantic to come back to the UK, we beat man citeh 1-0 with Darren Bent scoring on his debut.

Offline WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023

Stand outside Dixons and watch the scores come through on the tellies. I sort of miss it.

Offline LeeS

• GM : 12.01.2025

Stand outside Dixons and watch the scores come through on the tellies. I sort of miss it.

Teletext page 303.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
Long Haul flights are about the longest I've had to wait but thinking further about it earlier this season I was on a canal boat holiday somewhere in the north west parked up, no phone signal, no radio signal, no possible way of finding out how we were getting on or got on away at Chelsea. It bothered me so much I dreamt the result. The reality was we conceded one less goal than in my dream.

Offline TheTimVilla

• GM : 13.02.2022

My longest is if I avoid the score and then watch the game 'live' via the highlights.
Last time was when we beat west brom the other week as I was at a pantomime.

Maybe I should do it more often
If it was a midweek game and I didn't go, in the 80s, I would ring the club with about ten minutes to go, to find out the latest score and they always told me. It was the lady in the North Stand reception.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal