collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How long have you gone without knowing the result of a Villa game just played?  (Read 10289 times)

Offline Duncan Shaw

3-1 derby game (Cahill goal) I was out in Oz.  We were going to see the NSW Waratah's vs Brumbies in Sydney and had about an hour and a bit drive.  I spent the entire journey (no phone etc) moving the radio on each band 1mghz at a time to see if I could pick the game up and the entire journey back trying to find sports news.  Got in at about 1am so went straight to bed, then got up the next morning and had to go to someone's house to dial up(!) to the web to find the result, cue much celebration!  About 14 hours I think.

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

I was flying back from the Ashes in Oz in Jan 2007 when we were playing Man U away in the FA Cup, so found out the final score quite a few hours after the match. It was the game when the keeper in the jogging bottoms (what was his name again?) let one squirm under him at the end. I wasn't exactly expecting to switch on my phone and receive good news, and I was right.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
The first leg at Trammere in the semi-final. I was at the game, but left early. It wasn't until the following day that I heard Dalian had pulled one back for us.

Offline danlanza

Last night's game. Just found out.
Lost all internet last night and it has only just come back on.

Offline Simon Ward

I've tried going days, weeks even but someone always tells me.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
I was away travelling in 95,sometimes went a week or two without knowing,would have to call home to find out sometimes. Considering how that 94/95 season panned out it was a good time to be travelling.

Offline The Man With A Stick

Going back pre-internet, I had to wait a day or so for the results when I was in Spain in 1988/9.  We beat Arsenal and drew with Liverpool early on in the season.

More recently, I didn't know the scores from either Bradford (H) or Millwall last season for a few hours as I was working in Delhi.  Can vividly remember reading the BBC match report of the Millwall on my phone, whilst sat on the throne with a chronic dose of the trots.  Ah, happy times.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
(what was his name again?)

Gabor Kiraly. Terrible Ashes as well, fancy being whitewashed.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
A relative in Scotland got married last April and my father and I couldn't get signal on our phones for ages.

Eventually when we were able to slip outside unnoticed we found out that we had won 3-1 away against Stoke City  ;D

Can't remember going longer than that to find out the score, a few hours at most.

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
I used to get back home from games in the 70s and my Dad would ask what the score was. Usually, I had to wait for the Argus as my memory was clouded with booze.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
Oh and once I was on holiday with my parents and we didn't find out the Villa score until getting the English paper the next day.

I think we beat Newcastle away and Shearer was sent-off, whenever that was?

Offline Charlie8182

About 18 hours for me, when we lost 0-3 at the Sty on boxing day 1982 I'd heard we were a goal down and I couldn't bear the thought of us losing to them which I had never experienced before (I was 10), so I deliberately avoided it.
Sometime early the next day my dad did mention it and put me out of my misery.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
In the good old pre internet days you went to the Central League game and the score would be put on the lettered scoreboard.
If you didn't go to the reserves you made sure you were by the TV after the wrestling/horseracing and before Dr Who.
If you missed the TV you went to the newsagents at 6pm and waited for The Argus to arrive.
If you didn't buy an Argus ..............(you always bought The Argus!)

Offline andyaston

Over a day. Back in 1995, I went to the US and knew we were playing Bolton midweek in the days before internet and phones so I had to buy a Yank newspaper on the Thursday that's sport section was full of American Football but, it did have the English soccer scores from the past week in light grey type....Aston Villa 1 Bolton 0.

Hooray!!! made my day and I got a few looks when I celebrated in a café but who cares. Only found out when I got back home to Blighty that Dwight Yorke scored the goal.

Offline Seb_AVFC

• Belgian Villains
  • GM : 31.07.2022
Once in a while if I can't watch the game live. I switch off my phone and tell everyone to shut the f up about the Villa game, so when I get home I watch the recorded game without knowing the score. It happens that when I get home from a night out at 2 pm I put me Villa shirt on and watch the game 'live' from my arm chair.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal