collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Liverpool by steffo
[Today at 09:38:38 AM]

New Shirt Sponsor by Des Little
[Today at 09:28:43 AM]

Champions League Contention by DB
[Today at 09:20:08 AM]

Who should create the Atmosphere? by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[Today at 08:56:37 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Demitri_C
[Today at 08:48:44 AM]

Kaine Kesler Hayden by Baldy
[Today at 08:46:32 AM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Demitri_C
[Today at 08:44:50 AM]

MOTD by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 08:40:09 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Liverpool by steffo
[Today at 09:38:38 AM]

Re: New Shirt Sponsor by Des Little
[Today at 09:28:43 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by DB
[Today at 09:20:08 AM]

Re: New Shirt Sponsor by Dogtanian
[Today at 09:07:28 AM]

Re: Who should create the Atmosphere? by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[Today at 08:56:37 AM]

Re: Who should create the Atmosphere? by chrisw1
[Today at 08:52:50 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by PaulWinch again
[Today at 08:51:46 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Demitri_C
[Today at 08:50:19 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How long have you gone without knowing the result of a Villa game just played?  (Read 10286 times)

Offline remy

• Claret & Blue Flag ALWAYS flapping
A thought struck me during the tedium of last night's first half. Ive been supporting Villa since 1987-ish and I dont think since that time I have ever gone more than 12 hours without knowing the score of a Villa game after the final whistle no matter where I am or how crap we are.

Highlights include:

3 minutes before my sister was about to walk down the aisle, I whipped my phone out in the corner to check the score - how sad.

At a Christmas party in Spain inbetween shots of tequilla I somehow asked a non-english speaking spanish girl to check her phone to see how Sunderland Vs Villa was - how sad.

Stranded between Norwich and Great Yarmouth somewhere I skyped my pal and asked him to turn his phone towards the Villa game while I waited for the AA - how sad.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

About 5 hours, couple of season ago we played Arsenal away when we were 2 up and lost 3-2, I had a family do so I avoided it, kept away from tv told everyone not to tell me the result. I arrived home just got out the car got a txt from a nose (think he did it on purpose) saying mcleish is buying a new house it's a 3 up two down. Needless to say I was fucked off but glad in a way

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
I was on a ferry from Newcastle to Amsterdam the night of the LC semi final first leg in 2000. I didn't have my mobile phone and it was about 8 am the following morning when I rang my brother to get the score. That is the longest time I can recall. The previous round (the subsequently void penalty shoot-out defeat to West Ham) I was on a payphone in the students' union during a Christmas party getting updates from my Dad.

Offline supertom

Worst example for me was last year. I was abroad and away from the interweb for a couple of weeks. I logged on to check both the scores in the Tottenham and the Chelsea games, 2-3 days after the Spurs game. That was a pleasant surprise I can tell you. Then later the same evening I watched the Wigan game at something like 3-4 in the morning in the Philippines. Tis painful being a Villa fan sometimes innit?

Offline eastie

Longest time for me was on a cruise to Bilbao where there was no phone signal or any internet connection and we played away at west brom - I went about 36 hours before I got the result.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
About three days around New Year 2009 - on an island in Vietnam with no internet access, had to wait until we were back in Saigon to find out that Torres had scored a late winner and we'd lost 1-0.

Offline paulcomben

• GM : Oct, 2013
In May 1988, when Villa were chasing promotion straight back up from Div 2, I had to telephone the club from holiday abroad to find out that we had won 1-0 against Bradford several hours earlier. Before the internet and sports TV channels. I can remember that, but I cannot remember where I was on holiday!

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
About 8-10 hours for me I think.  How times change.  Back in the day when we didn't have a phone at home I relied on the ten- o- clock news for Villa's away results if I couldn't afford to travel.  Sometimes the bastards put them on and sometimes they didn't, it was very frustrating.  I think they did it on a whim.  When they didn't broadcast them it meant a wait until I could get the paper on the way to work next morning.

I did all this until someone told me to ring the Mail night desk and, if you were lucky they'd tell you.  This was the road I went down after that, I didn't need to wait for the news, just pop down to the phone box and ring up.  It was made even better when the old pair eventually got a phone installed.

Offline fbriai

• GM : 31.01.2022
I turned the computer off when we went 3-0 down at Chelsea in the 8-0 defeat and didn't find out the result until sometime the next day. I reckon I probably went about 18 hours without knowing, which is the longest I can remember by a long way.

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
Sheffield Wednesday a couple of days after the FA Cup Semi vs Bolton. Didn't even realise we were playing until well into the afternoon the day after. Weird feeling, as it is the only game I've ever not actually followed since it was so easy to find results etc...

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
I went about 12 hours not knowing the LC result against Spurs last year. I was in Cyprus and couldn't be arsed with the rigmarole of using the hotel's internet suite. Found out we'd lost 4-0 via the World Service the following morning.

Offline Holte L2

3 hours. It was the Bordeaux UEFA Cup 1997-1998.  I was hit with heavy flu, and started being sick on the way to the game. turned around, went straight to bed and woke up about 1am. With a note from my dad "We Won, 1-0, Milosevic!!!""

« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 12:32:47 PM by Holte L2 »

Offline waynejames

How did we get on?
Hope we won!

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
been a very long time   , in Tenerife when I was 5 minutes behind reading the match thread on the net  . Im always there , radio, stream ,tv or down the game .
if Villa are playing and I was not with the game  , I become a wreck .

Offline DeKuip

There were a few games just after I was born that my mom and dad still haven't told me the score of.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal