collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Unim-press-ive  (Read 6823 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Unim-press-ive
« on: February 10, 2014, 12:52:14 AM »

Offline Bermuda Villa

Re: Unim-press-ive
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 01:08:09 AM »
The question sums things up perfectly ....... having played so well at Liverpool when we looked like a very good side do we then go out and defend at Everton knowing we cannot keep a clean sheet as the inevitable will happen and did .... why do we not go out with positive intent and attack teams at home especially teams like West Ham and Crystal Palace ... our record at home cannot get any worse so why do the same things over and over again and expect the result to be different ...... I for one would applaud an attacking performance at home even if we get beaten because we lose anyway by trying to be tactical geniuses.

The fact that Lambert cannot see this or any of his back room staff just leaves you wondering what on earth they do all week.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 01:11:28 AM »
I don't know how you 'pick yourself up and go again' on the all too regular weekends like this Dave. I took me over 24 hours before I could bring myself to come on here after yesterday.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 01:15:50 AM »
I don't know how you 'pick yourself up and go again' on the all too regular weekends like this Dave. I took me over 24 hours before I could bring myself to come on here after yesterday.

Demob fever.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 01:22:48 AM »
The question sums things up perfectly ....... having played so well at Liverpool when we looked like a very good side do we then go out and defend at Everton knowing we cannot keep a clean sheet as the inevitable will happen and did .... why do we not go out with positive intent and attack teams at home especially teams like West Ham and Crystal Palace ... our record at home cannot get any worse so why do the same things over and over again and expect the result to be different ...... I for one would applaud an attacking performance at home even if we get beaten because we lose anyway by trying to be tactical geniuses.

The fact that Lambert cannot see this or any of his back room staff just leaves you wondering what on earth they do all week.

Goes back to the fact that although PL has found a formation that somewhat works away from home, he is still yet to find one that works at Villa Park.  The onus is on the home team to attack, so when we play away, there is usually space left for us to exploit on the counter attack.  Having a fit and in form Gabby is important as his pace can make the most most of the space available.  At home, it's a different story though as visiting teams tend to be more solid and leave less space.  This means we have to play to Gabby, Benteke and Weimann's feet in the final third, something they are not particularly comfortable with.  The lack of space also means there needs to be more movement from our attacking players and this again is something that is sadly lacking. 

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 01:52:28 AM »
...when you're old enough to repay but young enough to sell?

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 06:20:37 AM »
The article demonstrates the lack of goodwill that Lambert has left. He has been the luckiest Villa manager that I can remember in terms of our attendances, despite regular poor displays, but continually sends fans home unhappy; this time well before the final whistle.
It won't last forever. When we start getting crowds below 30000, there will surely be questions asked in the house.

I would say that is your best article this season, Dave.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 06:25:39 AM by Dave Clark Five »

Offline MarkM

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 08:33:40 AM »
I think that PL and co really don't know the answer, I think that they have struck lucky a few times in thier selections and instructions and also the opposition not responding quickly to our complete change in tactics [Liverpool] and also a good share of luck [Man City]

It's like he is a gambler that constantly twists in the hope of getting 21 when he would be better off sticking on 19, when he gets the gamble right we do well, when he busts [which is more often] we don't

He is tactically inept and god knows what they do in training [have you seen them practicing shots before the game? barn doors etc...]

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 08:58:29 AM »

Goes back to the fact that although PL has found a formation that somewhat works away from home, he is still yet to find one that works at Villa Park.  The onus is on the home team to attack, so when we play away, there is usually space left for us to exploit on the counter attack.  Having a fit and in form Gabby is important as his pace can make the most most of the space available.  At home, it's a different story though as visiting teams tend to be more solid and leave less space.  This means we have to play to Gabby, Benteke and Weimann's feet in the final third, something they are not particularly comfortable with.  The lack of space also means there needs to be more movement from our attacking players and this again is something that is sadly lacking. 

How many times do we have to be well beaten at home before the penny drops with him? The formation does not suit us at Villa Park - far too narrow in midfield and up front. No creativity between the lines and little movement for the player in posession. Feel very sorry for our full backs - every time they have the ball and look up there is never a claret and blue shirt giveing an option down the line. And when their defending, they're often two on one.

Someone posted at the weekend that the definition of stupidity is repeating the same action and expecting a different outcome. That is how waching us at home has been for the last 18 months.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 09:13:54 AM »
The article demonstrates the lack of goodwill that Lambert has left. He has been the luckiest Villa manager that I can remember in terms of our attendances, despite regular poor displays, but continually sends fans home unhappy; this time well before the final whistle.
It won't last forever. When we start getting crowds below 30000, there will surely be questions asked in the house.

I would say that is your best article this season, Dave.

I agree about Lambert being the luckiest Villa manager, DCF.
But that luck is purely down to the fact he isn't Alex McLeish.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 09:23:49 AM »
The Fulham away game summed up Lambert's tactical nous for me. We had 3 defenders playing out of position, so rather than play an extra midfielder to give them a little protection, he plays three up front leaving the midfield and already fragile defence exposed.  It was horrible to watch. Starting Holt against Everton was another. Being out-thought by three lower league managers is also a worry.

Like Dave says, he can get us playing good attacking football when he wants to. We just don't see it enough.

As for formations at home, as much as I like Weimann, I think it might be time to use him away from home where it works rather than trying to shoehorn him into every game.

Offline SashasGrandad

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 09:26:35 AM »
You can, when you put your mind to it, send out an attack-minded team that plays football. You’ve proved you can do it, and when you do the crowd tend to respond. So why don’t you do it more often?

Nail on the Head.

Offline eastie

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 09:28:35 AM »
The Fulham away game summed up Lambert's tactical nous for me. We had 3 defenders playing out of position, so rather than play an extra midfielder to give them a little protection, he plays three up front leaving the midfield and already fragile defence exposed.  It was horrible to watch. Starting Holt against Everton was another. Being out-thought by three lower league managers is also a worry.

Like Dave says, he can get us playing good attacking football when he wants to. We just don't see it enough.

As for formations at home, as much as I like Weimann, I think it might be time to use him away from home where it works rather than trying to shoehorn him into every game.

For me the fact that we can play good attacking football but very rarely do so is down to lamberts lack of tactical nous and not motivating the players well enough - we so often start games lethargically and he must carry the can for not getting the best out of his players on a regular basis.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 01:17:18 PM »
Another good read Dave.

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 01:31:16 PM »
Groundhog Day at Villa Park.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal