collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Who is the best owner?  (Read 16886 times)

Offline mattjpa

Re: Who is the best owner?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2014, 09:32:26 AM »
The Lerner of 2-3 years ago I wouldn't have swapped for anyone. I put up with the mistakes etc because he seemed to care, was active and involved. Despite what we are being told now, I know that is no longer the case. It really isn't all about the money.....

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2014, 10:14:31 AM »
What's wrong with the Man City owners?

They've poured money into the club, but they've also barely put a foot wrong, done lots of work in the local deprived community etc etc.

... by the extreme wealthiest in that country and never to help their population, a population squashed under the most strictly-imposed aspects of Sharia while the Mansours live their astonishing playboy lifestyles. They're evil, dictatorial, hypocritical murderers and crooks.

Sorry. I just really hate those people.

I've no doubt that the Mansours are arseholes of the highest order, but your description of Abu Dhabi sounds more like Saudi Arabia. There's quite a big difference. In any case, there are lots of billionaires in this world, but very, very few of them are nice and decent people, which is probably how they became billionaires in the first place. From what I can deduce from his actions, Randy is a nice and decent man, which is probably why his fortune tends to run away from him.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2014, 10:59:00 AM »
It's not like we even have to spent a huge amount to compete, yes to win the league...but Everton, Southampton and Newcastle are all comfortably ahead of us this season and none of them have spent huge money, probably on a par what we were spending between 2010-12.

I'm not asking for top 4 from a prospective new owner...not immediately anyway as seemed the plan when Randy came in, just an owner that will back a manager into signing decent flair players who can get us back in and around the top 6. Once we've finished there a few years AND the wages are under control then we can have a crack at top 4 again.

That was a problem with Lerner...we tried to do things too quickly although it was proved right with the Man. City takeover. That and the wrong manager to spend the 200m.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2014, 11:00:18 AM »

They've poured money into the club, but they've also barely put a foot wrong, done lots of work in the local deprived community etc etc.

They're members of a family which, in their own country, throws not only political opponents into jail but also their political opponents' lawyers, routinely employs slave-labour on a mass-scale, is deeply connected to many nasty climate-change denying propeganda organisations in order to protect the oil by which they make the astonishing sums of wealth that remain conspicuously monopolised by the extreme wealthiest in that country and never to help their population, a population squashed under the most strictly-imposed aspects of Sharia while the Mansours live their astonishing playboy lifestyles. They're evil, dictatorial, hypocritical murderers and crooks.

yeah but apart from that monty, whats your problem with them ?

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2014, 11:15:22 AM »
We all have our own opinions about Randy Lerner but it got me thinking who makes a great example of a good owner. I'm not really counting the owners who throw money away like confetti aka Man City i mean an owner who has consistantly supported his club both financially and with good management.

Why exclude owners who "throw money around like confetti"?

In the modern game, an owner who is prepared to continually invest large sums of money is the best kind of owner.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2014, 12:09:40 PM »
Not ours. His lack of knowledge in the field he entered coupled with decisions to not appoint any footballing experience has led him to lose a lot of money and us become a shambles. I couldn't give a shit that he's lost so much, with his Bird brain way of attempting to run things at the start he deserves it.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2014, 12:10:29 PM »

... by the extreme wealthiest in that country and never to help their population, a population squashed under the most strictly-imposed aspects of Sharia while the Mansours live their astonishing playboy lifestyles. They're evil, dictatorial, hypocritical murderers and crooks.

I've no doubt that the Mansours are arseholes of the highest order, but your description of Abu Dhabi sounds more like Saudi Arabia. There's quite a big difference. In any case, there are lots of billionaires in this world, but very, very few of them are nice and decent people, which is probably how they became billionaires in the first place. From what I can deduce from his actions, Randy is a nice and decent man, which is probably why his fortune tends to run away from him.

It's one law for the wealthy and for the foreign businessman and it's quite another for ordinary people living there, especially for Indian and Nepalese immigrant slaveworkers.

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2014, 12:28:55 PM »
I don't have a problem with Randy, I have a problem with the way he's running the club. The only place were goin though is down. Time for a change

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2014, 12:37:50 PM »
If Randy Lerner had spent billions on the team and we ended up winning and challening for trophies, but in the process been the biggest ****** by doing things such as shunning Acorns, renaming us Aston Coca Cola Villa and saying Birmingham is a shit hole, Villa fans would think he's the greatest owner ever.

Offline danlanza

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2014, 12:41:15 PM »
Jack Hayward was surely one of the best owners of a football club ever when he owned wolves.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2014, 12:42:47 PM »
If Randy Lerner had spent billions on the team and we ended up winning and challening for trophies, but in the process been the biggest c*** by doing things such as shunning Acorns, renaming us Aston Coca Cola Villa and saying Birmingham is a shit hole, Villa fans would think he's the greatest owner ever.

No they wouldn't, because the fans would not have accepted the name of Aston Villa to change in the first place.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2014, 12:44:16 PM »
If Randy Lerner had spent billions on the team and we ended up winning and challening for trophies, but in the process been the biggest c*** by doing things such as shunning Acorns, renaming us Aston Coca Cola Villa and saying Birmingham is a shit hole, Villa fans would think he's the greatest owner ever.

No they wouldn't, because the fans would not have accepted the name of Aston Villa to change in the first place.

I gurantee the vast majority wouldn't have cared if Villa had won the league.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2014, 01:02:47 PM »

It's one law for the wealthy and for the foreign businessman and it's quite another for ordinary people living there, especially for Indian and Nepalese immigrant slaveworkers.

You've oversimplified things. I've no doubt indentured labour is a shameful fact, but the majority of the UAE's population is made up of white collar Indians/Pakistanis who have the freedom to return to their own countries at any time. They don't because they have a better standard of living where they are. They know the rules and get along within them. Far be it from me to defend the regime, I hate a lot of what they do, but things are a little more complex than the version of events presented by the twisted UK press.

Back on topic. These days a 'good' owner needs a lot of money to compete, and a lot of that money is going to come from unpleasant places. The game is already dirty and paragons of virtue rarely feature at the top of it. The question is: are we happy to keep on doing the right thing and remain poor on the pitch, or, as a football club, should we concentrate solely on what happens when we cross that white line?

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2014, 01:10:47 PM »

I gurantee the vast majority wouldn't have cared if Villa had won the league.

As someone who knows more about the politics of the Villa and the psyche of our supporters down the ages than any of us said at the time of the Witton Lane re-naming "If we win the league they could call it the Adolf Hitler stand and nobody would care."

Offline Weedy

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal