collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The last time Villa won a premier league game without Vlaar  (Read 12313 times)

Online rob_bridge

Re: The last time Villa won a premier league game without Vlaar
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2014, 07:18:31 AM »
Great post IV.

Houllier talking us down probably did start the on field rot.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2014, 07:44:00 AM »
The McLeish appointment really stands out as testimony to how little knowledge (football wise) those in charge of Villa have and nothings changed.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2014, 10:00:32 AM »
Great post Irish Villain.

I already had no confidence in the Board but my confidence in PL as just ebbed away as the season has gone on. January's pitiful transfer window pretty much drained the last bit away.

We would deserve relegation as a Club as we show zero ambition and in January didn't look like we really wanted to stay in the division.

Having to start with those two CB's yesterday is just a mark of where we are - in trouble.

Offline barrysleftfoot

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2014, 11:41:36 AM »
 Vlaar is a good solid CH, but it is the lack of creativity and movement, and touch, in the final 1/3 rd why we don't win more games, partic at home.

A better touch by Gabby, just before h/t , and we are 1-0 up, and we would'nt have lost.

Also PLs complete lack of understanding of the game does'nt help, 2 lumps at the back for WHU, and we play 2 lumps against them, and hoof....food and drink for Collins.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2014, 01:25:04 PM »
I hate saying it but I have come around to the idea that, when you weigh us up over the past three years, we probably deserve to go down at some stage.Our fans don't, they have been so patient and supportive.

But the owners, the management(s) and the players have been absolutely shocking. They have all had a hand in our demise. None of them has done their job in a competent fashion.  The board have made horrific appointments (and before that were negligent with the cheque book when MON was manager), have stopped investing at a time when we actually need to speculate to accumulate (austerity won't get you to premier league security) and have produced a litany of statements since MON that comical ali would be proud of ('dynamic football', 'villa expects better' are there more?).

The managers over the past three years (including Houllier)have not been good enough. On Houlier's first day as manager, taking over a top six club with ambitions of Champions League and a proud history, he set a negative tone by saying we belonged '7th-12th'. He then didn't even get started for a few weeks, alienated the dressing room and just set a negative vibe when we needed a steadied ship to help us achieve a respectable position. That negativity, and our flirtation with relegation that year, was really damaging for the club and its morale.

McLeish, need I say anything? Again, not his fault he was appointed. Just asking for trouble. And now Lambert, more goodwill probably than any Villa manager in a long time. A lengthy honeymoon and given the benefit of the doubt several times by a patient Holte End. And, coming into his second season, his back-up to an injury prone Vlaar is a pair that, together, look like a League 1 partnership and a style of football that is, at best, better by adegree than that served up by McLeish.

We are making a habit of bobbling around at the bottom and nobody at the club seems to care. Where are our standards? What is unacceptable for a club like Aston Villa? Unless something changes, we will end up being relegated. Keeping our good players depends on showing ambition as does attracting new, quality players. Omnishambles.

We have become a bit like Wigan over the past few seasons.  in and around the relegation zone for most of the season, but in the end either having a bit too much, a bit of luck, or reliant on others being poorer to stay up.  As with Wigan though, if you fail to really address the issues properly then it will catch up with you and you'll end up going down.  I am beginning to fear for us as we have some tough away fixtures left and a number of home games (where we can't buy a win) against teams currently below us.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2014, 01:27:30 PM »
It's no surprise that if Baker replaces Vlaar we're stuff, because Baker is a nowhere near a top level centre half. Vlaar's leadership is also vital.

Offline Tugby Villain

• Villa through thick and thin!!!
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2014, 01:52:34 PM »
Depressing stuff.

Guzan - good enough

Lowton - poor this season
Baker - rubbish
Clark - ditto
Bertrand - good but temporary, he returns to Chelsea in the summer

Delph - Can be good at times, quite consistent
Westwood - same as Lowton
Bacuna - good at first but now looks average

Weimann - ok
Benteke - good enough
Agbonlahor - injured too often

Online David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2014, 06:29:04 PM »
For me one of many reasons we miss Vlaar is he is pretty decent with the ball at his feet.Baker is no where near Premier League standard in that department and it shows.

I recall Lowton a few weeks back recalling in the Summer Vlaar got the defenders together and discussed improving and Lowton mentioned not always going so far forward.Well yesterday with no Vlaar to tell him off he was all over the place he goes forward we lose the ball and he gets caught out.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2014, 11:34:08 PM »
It was madness not bringing a centre half in during the window when we have one we will be lucky to see play again this season and one who regularly misses games. Clark looks half the player without Vlaar next to him. I wouldn't back us to win a match without him between now and the end of this season.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2014, 11:50:28 PM »
Vlaar is our best defender but thats not saying much really.

the problems in the side are not solely down to the Clark and Baker partnership. though Baker in particular is nowhere near good enough.

as others have said we are a shambles all over the pitch. I cant think of anything we do particularly well as a team. The odd individual steps up every now and again to get us points but very little is co-ordinated.

another issue in the side is that two of our key players are regularly injured, Vlaar and Gabby. Both take a few games to get back match fitness too. Fergie made a half decent point in his otherwise dull book that centre halves cant afford to be injury prone. It takes time to build a partnership and rotating centre halves isnt really ideal. You can see it with Man Utd this season, instability at centre back is one of their biggest issues. If AVFC attempts in the near future to be somewhat relevant, Im not sure we would continue to carry Vlaar to be honest.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2014, 01:01:19 AM »
If AVFC attempts in the near future to be somewhat relevant, Im not sure we would continue to carry Vlaar to be honest.

Beginning to think that way as well BB.  It may be coincidence, but you simply can't have one of your key players missing a third of the season on a regular basis.  If it were up to me, I'd probably give him another season, but if a decent offer were to come in for him in the summer, then I would seriously consider it. 

Offline Dave Clark Five

• Location: In Doctor Who's Tardis trying to find Villa Park anytime between 1970 and 1972.
  • GM : June, 2013
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2014, 07:10:32 AM »
If AVFC attempts in the near future to be somewhat relevant, Im not sure we would continue to carry Vlaar to be honest.

Beginning to think that way as well BB.  It may be coincidence, but you simply can't have one of your key players missing a third of the season on a regular basis.  If it were up to me, I'd probably give him another season, but if a decent offer were to come in for him in the summer, then I would seriously consider it. 

I put the same thing on another thread. We have to accept that Vlaar is injury prone. I wouldn't necessarily move him on but the medical people should know the score with him.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2014, 08:53:05 AM »
They're always niggly injuries with him. His long term injury problem was a serious knee injury, but it seems odd that he keeps having frustrating calf problems.

We haven't been done any favours by having players like Baker, who I do not feel is a top flight player, and Clark who is a 4th choice centre half at best playing the best part of two seasons solid for us.

Online aj2k77

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2014, 09:25:07 AM »
We just have too many bits and pieces players with no obvious strengths.

Westwood
El ahamadi
Bennett
Bacuna
Luna
Sylla
Tones

There's around £16m there and can anyone name many positive attributes they have? Bacuna can hit a free kick and Tonev can hit a holte ender from 40 paces.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2014, 09:40:15 AM »
They're always niggly injuries with him. His long term injury problem was a serious knee injury, but it seems odd that he keeps having frustrating calf problems.

We haven't been done any favours by having players like Baker, who I do not feel is a top flight player, and Clark who is a 4th choice centre half at best playing the best part of two seasons solid for us.

It's a hamstring this time. If he he misses too many of the remaining games it will not be pretty.

A chappy on VT maintains a spreadsheet of our results with and without the Concrete One, and it is quite astounding:

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal