collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Lille vs Aston Villa match thread by stevo_st
[Today at 08:03:33 PM]

Tennis 2024 by maidstonevillain
[Today at 08:02:08 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Paul Lambert thread - poll reset after our capitulation to Hull  (Read 1630498 times)

Offline fbriai

• GM : 31.01.2022
Re: The Paul Lambert thread - poll reset after Liverpool
« Reply #12870 on: January 26, 2015, 09:45:31 AM »
This is making me imagine them all sitting round a computer screen in an office on a Monday morning, trying to understand a raft of statistical information and not being able to understand why the possession statistics for one of the players are all clustered around our own six-yard box.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #12871 on: January 29, 2015, 01:10:11 PM »
at least the bringing in of Gil and Sinclair and possibly a forward contradicts somewhat the belief that some might hold that Lambert doesn't see what we see. That we have been crying out for some creative options. It supports the theory that in trying to change the way we play he didn't have the type of players at the club to help him do that and is now looking to address it in the window. The question now will be if gets those players will we see the measured approach in the first two thirds of the pitch turn into chances in the final third?

Offline nigel

« Reply #12872 on: January 30, 2015, 08:39:53 AM »
I think if he'd started his reign playing as we are now we'd be easily top 10 as we'd be 3 seasons down the line.

I wouldn't say I'm 'Pro Lambert', but, I think he could be turning us round.

Online brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #12873 on: January 30, 2015, 08:45:53 AM »
I never cease to be amazed at how little Lambert has to do to be back in favour with large elements of the fan base and the entire club administration.   I have never in all my supporting life seen any manager of any club, let alone Villa, be so bomb proof and bullet proof.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #12874 on: January 30, 2015, 08:49:51 AM »
The only thing that has been managed efficiently at Villa is expectation.

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #12875 on: January 30, 2015, 08:50:28 AM »
I never cease to be amazed at how little Lambert has to do to be back in favour with large elements of the fan base and the entire club administration.   I have never in all my supporting life seen any manager of any club, let alone Villa, be so bomb proof and bullet proof.

Probably indicative of the short concentration span culture we live in.

Lambert has a huge amount of work to do in reality. If he has a 3 month period akin to Gregory's initial time as manager then he may, just may, be turning the corner. He did have one of those Feb-May 2013 and it turned out to be a house built on sand.

Online brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #12876 on: January 30, 2015, 08:55:13 AM »
As the famous saying goes, in the long run we shall all be dead.   At Lambert's pace of  "progress" I certainly will be.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #12877 on: January 30, 2015, 09:11:24 AM »

Probably indicative of the short concentration span culture we live in.

Lambert has a huge amount of work to do in reality. If he has a 3 month period akin to Gregory's initial time as manager then he may, just may, be turning the corner. He did have one of those Feb-May 2013 and it turned out to be a house built on sand.

Where did I put those sugarbags...

Online andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #12878 on: January 30, 2015, 09:13:01 AM »
Precisely !!

Lets not forget we haven't won a league match in the last 7.
We havent scored a league goal in 5.
We are rapidly dropping down the table and poor results in the next 2 games could easily see us in the bottom 3.

But, we beat Bourmouth reserves, so Hey Ho !!   
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 10:02:40 AM by andyh »

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #12879 on: January 30, 2015, 09:25:47 AM »
There has been some positive news withing signings, potential signings, Delph and getting into the 5th round. I don't see why people need to be slated for looking up rather than down.

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #12880 on: January 30, 2015, 09:50:36 AM »
There has been some positive news withing signings, potential signings, Delph and getting into the 5th round. I don't see why people need to be slated for looking up rather than down.

I think the point is whilst Gil looks very promising and Sinclair could turn out to be an inspired addition, Lambert's recent record in playing progressive, positive, entertaining football is frankly speaking abject.

There have been a number of false dawns under Lambert so would rather see where we are after the next 4 games.

Results and performances will shape the second half of the season.

We could be mid table and in the QF of the Cup or we could be bottom 3 and out of the cup, humiliated at home by Leicester.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #12881 on: January 30, 2015, 09:55:16 AM »
Its a choice; go forward with hope or go forward with fear. I find I enjoy my time a lot more being hopeful prior to an event than being fearful about it.

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #12882 on: January 30, 2015, 09:59:15 AM »
Its a choice; go forward with hope or go forward with fear. I find I enjoy my time a lot more being hopeful prior to an event than being fearful about it.

Agree - I hope Lambert turns things around starting tomorrow. Seems Brian's point was people think he already has.

I also hope that if he doesn't turn things around he gets binned and the next manager is a vast improvement on the recent ones.

The corresponding fear for many is neither of the above happens.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #12883 on: January 30, 2015, 10:00:03 AM »

A couple more decades of following Villa and I reckon you'll be a hard-bitten, cynical misery arse like the rest of us. That's what they do to you.

Offline MONCABA

« Reply #12884 on: January 30, 2015, 10:17:46 AM »

Great post.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal