collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by ADVILLAFAN
[Today at 12:55:37 PM]

NSWE Investment by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:49:45 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Bad English
[Today at 12:46:34 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:35:00 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R26: ASTON VILLA v Chelsea, Saturday, 27th April!🥧 by simon ward 50
[Today at 12:34:58 PM]

Ollie Watkins by eamonn
[Today at 12:33:39 PM]

VAR by Somniloquism
[Today at 12:27:06 PM]

Fog stopped play by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 12:12:31 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by ADVILLAFAN
[Today at 12:55:37 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Tayls_7
[Today at 12:53:52 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by ADVILLAFAN
[Today at 12:53:49 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:49:45 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Bad English
[Today at 12:46:34 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dogtanian
[Today at 12:42:07 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:41:49 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by eamonn
[Today at 12:40:28 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Paul Lambert thread - poll reset after our capitulation to Hull  (Read 1631178 times)

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
Re: The Paul Lambert thread - NEW POLL post Leicester
« Reply #10590 on: December 22, 2014, 11:28:59 AM »
Okore has been a big difference. Okore got into the team by default , not via any tactical genius or insight of lambert. I think it's still way too early to call with him, I suspect we will never get to that place with him. It's been 80% garbage and 20% decent under him overall.

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #10591 on: December 22, 2014, 11:33:38 AM »
Okore has been a big difference. Okore got into the team by default , not via any tactical genius or insight of lambert. I think it's still way too early to call with him, I suspect we will never get to that place with him. It's been 80% garbage and 20% decent under him overall.

That's a little bit unfair. Yes, Lambert made him wait for his chance, but it would have been harsh on Baker or Senderos to have dropped them for Okore prior to them getting injured.  In fairness, as good as he looks now, Okore's pre-season form was a bit shakey and Lambert's hesitancy in throwing him in was probably based on that alone.

Online aj2k77

« Reply #10592 on: December 22, 2014, 11:37:40 AM »
Sorry but what credit does he deserve for ending another one of his failed genius ideas, the long ball?

He's a moron for training us in that way in the first place and the fact he thought it was a legitimate tactic tells me all I need to know about him.

He's clueless.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #10593 on: December 22, 2014, 12:00:42 PM »

That's a little bit unfair. Yes, Lambert made him wait for his chance, but it would have been harsh on Baker or Senderos to have dropped them for Okore prior to them getting injured.  In fairness, as good as he looks now, Okore's pre-season form was a bit shakey and Lambert's hesitancy in throwing him in was probably based on that alone.

From what I have seen of him, Okore is in a different class to Nathan Baker. 

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #10594 on: December 22, 2014, 12:32:31 PM »

From what I have seen of him, Okore is in a different class to Nathan Baker. 

That still doesn't change the fact that it would have been harsh to drop Baker for Okore before he got injured. He played a big part in our early season form (including the win at Anfield) and was worthy of his place in the side.

Offline IAmTheOneIanOlney

« Reply #10595 on: December 22, 2014, 01:04:12 PM »
Sorry but what credit does he deserve for ending another one of his failed genius ideas, the long ball?

He's a moron for training us in that way in the first place and the fact he thought it was a legitimate tactic tells me all I need to know about him.

He's clueless.

Maybe he never thought the team he could put out was capable of it before and now with a fully fit Benteke and Sanchez and Okore being up to speed, he thinks we're strong enough through the team to play expansive football and not just use industry and counter attack.
Or maybe this is the first instalment of "the plan" and the last three years have been a massive bluff to get other teams off guard.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #10596 on: December 22, 2014, 01:20:15 PM »

He's clueless.

I believe this sort of thing is usually called damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #10597 on: December 22, 2014, 03:55:25 PM »

He's clueless.

I believe this sort of thing is usually called damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I think there's a decent point in there somewhere about him having persisted with horrific tactics for so long, though. What a shame we had to sit through month after month of witless lumping it long.

Online aj2k77

« Reply #10598 on: December 22, 2014, 04:15:46 PM »

He's clueless.

It's a basic I expect from anyone in his position to put out a team who will try to play a bit of football and win a game. How he and his cohorts conjured up this backs to the wall long ball shit and persisted it not for a few months or handful of games but for dozens of games and over a year I'll never know, despite all the evidence pointing to it doesn't work.

It's a basic I expect, like fielding a Goal keeper.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #10599 on: December 22, 2014, 04:17:48 PM »
To go back to a well debated point, it does strike me that given the abject crapness of what has gone on previously and the only mini upturn in fortunes have both been as a result of backroom changes, makes me wonder if Lambert knew anything at all about what was going on at the training ground.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #10600 on: December 22, 2014, 05:06:18 PM »
To go back to a well debated point, it does strike me that given the abject crapness of what has gone on previously and the only mini upturn in fortunes have both been as a result of backroom changes, makes me wonder if Lambert knew anything at all about what was going on at the training ground.

We have lost 2 from 8, both when reduced to ten ten men. That pre-dates Keane going so I am not sure it is a valid argument.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #10601 on: December 22, 2014, 05:18:41 PM »
Don't give Lambert any credit if you prefer, but for gods sake do not discourage it. Having Villa play football that is watchable and dare I say entertaining has been a long time coming. I would hate it to end up being as a little experiment that is abandoned after a loss (like after that West Ham season opener).

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: The Paul Lambert thread - NEW POLL post-Manchester United
« Reply #10602 on: December 22, 2014, 05:20:54 PM »
And re-set.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #10603 on: December 22, 2014, 05:22:30 PM »
Fans will accept defeat if the intent to play attractive football is there and importantly the desire to win. For too long now we have had to endure games, especially at Villa Park where you'd swear the very opposite tactic and desire was declared to the team before they left the changing room. It's nice to see the change. I hope he never changes from this new approach irrespective of how long it has taken him to see the light.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: The Paul Lambert thread - NEW POLL post-Manchester United
« Reply #10604 on: December 22, 2014, 05:34:28 PM »
It'll be interesting to see how this pans out.

Lambert's major problem was never that he couldn't get some decent results or the occasional excellent performance, it was always that he could never do it over any long period of time.

It'd be nice if he managed to do it this time.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal