collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Paul Lambert thread - poll reset after our capitulation to Hull  (Read 1631356 times)

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: The Paul Lambert thread
« Reply #4725 on: April 18, 2014, 11:31:07 AM »
Just to make it more intimidating for away teams.  Maybe put them in the top tier of the Trinity. As I said,  only an idea, just brainstorming.

Logistically, it wouldn't work.

Offline luke95

« Reply #4726 on: April 18, 2014, 11:36:19 AM »
Just to make it more intimidating for away teams.  Maybe put them in the top tier of the Trinity. As I said,  only an idea, just brainstorming.
Ive thought for a while about where the away fans are situated at  Villa Park helps away teams, the first thing they see when coming out the tunnel is their own fans. It must lift teams straight away .

Offline Morpheus

« Reply #4727 on: April 18, 2014, 12:14:03 PM »
If Lambert does go at the end of the season I'd see how much compensation Derby would be looking for to release McClaren.

Yes we all know what he did with England but he has learned from that. He took himself off to Europe and rebuilt his reputation and he must be admired for that. He has all the experience we would ever need to rebuild our club and likes to play progressive ball to feet football which has been drip fed at our club for far too long now. He is also a proven coach as we've seen in his time at Man U.

Perfect candidate for us in my humble opinion of course.
Don't think he'd come here after he got rebuffed last time out. Plus it may not have escaped his attention just how unpopular he was among Villa fans as a potential choice 3 years ago. We kicked up a bit of a stink.

Better than Lambert undoubtedly. But still not good enough for the Villa.
'But still not good enough for the Villa?'

In our present predicament what calibre of manager do you think we could attract. Mourinho perhaps?

I think we all need to take a dose of reality here when we couldn't even attract Martinez.

Personally if Derby aren't promoted through the play offs McClaren would still jump at the change to manage back in the Premiership. I mean what would he have to lose coming to us. He certainly wouldn't have much of a record to beat concerning the previous manager and I'm sure the fact that the fans weren't 100% behind his previous proposed move to us wouldn't affect his decision to come here now.

It certainly didn't affect Mcleish's decision, mores the pity.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #4728 on: April 18, 2014, 12:21:43 PM »
Lambert should have walked after the Bradford debacle.  To lose to a fourth tier team over two legs was unforgivable,  and the shambolic tactics of the return leg at Villa Park were incredible.

Rico 

this never happened !!

but its weird how you have the same nightmare as me .

Online Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #4729 on: April 18, 2014, 12:41:42 PM »
Lambert should have walked after the Bradford debacle.  To lose to a fourth tier team over two legs was unforgivable,  and the shambolic tactics of the return leg at Villa Park were incredible.

Rico 

this never happened !!

but its weird how you have the same nightmare as me .

But I wake up in cold sweats imagining this big lumbering idiot who could have passed as a part time hod carrier / footballer,  and ably assisted by some kid from a desert island tore us a new one?

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #4730 on: April 18, 2014, 04:03:27 PM »
I think Martinez will manage us one day. Him and Randy are such nice, lovely lads that they'd get along famously.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #4731 on: April 18, 2014, 06:17:03 PM »
Poster above makes some good points re Mclaren. If derby don't come up he is a very good shout IMHO. He's getting better with age like a fine wine.

Offline achilles

« Reply #4732 on: April 18, 2014, 06:47:29 PM »
Poster above makes some good points re Mclaren. If derby don't come up he is a very good shout IMHO. He's getting better with age like a fine wine.

Can't stand him personally but to be fair he does actually seem to know what he is doing which is a bit alien down at Villa!

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #4733 on: April 18, 2014, 06:53:07 PM »

Can't stand him personally but to be fair he does actually seem to know what he is doing which is a bit alien down at Villa!

McLaren is a very good coach - his an appaling manager so would need a DoF to oversee. He worked exceptionally well under Jim Smith and Sir Whinfealot and in Holland too.

Not sure I'd want him mind - it's avery big and very hard job is Villa and many have underestimated the task. Most of them ended up on the scrap heap afterwards.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #4734 on: April 18, 2014, 06:57:26 PM »
He's done well at smaller clubs with lesser ambitions and objectives. He didn't fare well under the pressure of England or Wolfsburg. Plus all that nonsense with the Dutch accent. No ta.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #4735 on: April 18, 2014, 07:15:30 PM »
He's done well at smaller clubs with lesser ambitions and objectives. He didn't fare well under the pressure of England or Wolfsburg. Plus all that nonsense with the Dutch accent. No ta.

Lets hear his brummie accent first at least

Offline bob

« Reply #4736 on: April 18, 2014, 08:23:55 PM »
My guess is that if by Christmas things have not improved then his position will be very precarious and he could be out. However, if we are nudging the top 10 he will be ok. 

Assuming the worst and I think based on the last two seasons that's the logical option, if by Christmas we're looking to replace Lambert, who having a few months previously had signed a new extended contract, brought in on three year deals his new coaching team, it's going to be a very expensive Christmas for Randy Lerner and Christmas every day for Lambert.

Then we have the problem of finding a replacement. I'd hope we'd look beyond those unemployed/unemployable managers scratching a living as TV and local radio pundits. Anybody worth inviting will either be blocked from speaking to us by their respective club or we'll end up paying out more millions in compensation.

Assuming then we have a new manager, his main job will be to keep us up as the only reason he got the job was because we were struggling. How low we'll have to be before Lerner calls time on Lambert, I can only guess but I'd imagine it would have to be with us in the bottom two with a single digit points total. Anything above that and Randy will give him time. Hardly the best environment to bring in a new manager.

If we are to replace Lambert it should be this summer for a host of reasons: financially, as Lambert will only have one season left on his contract, not three; wider recruitment selection both for a manager and players; a summer transfer window and budget for the new man; time to bed in his (hopefully) new ideas; a clean slate for the current squad and time for new players to adjust.. the advantages just go on and on.

The clearest and most obvious question we should be asking ourselves today is, based on the previous two years, what has Paul Lambert done to deserve the right to continue as manager of Aston Villa?

It doesn't matter what you, me or the bloke at the corner shop says, the signs are that Lerner is going to stick with him. He's going to do it for all sort of pragmatic reasons to do with money and continuity but also in the hope that we will finally see the man we thought we had appointed two years ago. It might work, it might not.

The other point is that unless we see a change from the board in their approach to the transfer market we are in for more of muddling around in the bottom half of the table, flirting with relegation until it finally happens. If that is the situation we are not going to attract the sort of names that you and Monty are expecting.

Agree with you, Chris, it's Lerner's decision and his alone, I just can't see any reason apart from his pride, why Lerner would want to stick with Lambert.

Your second point however, on transfers, is open to question. I'm assuming it's not Lerner that has decided to buy every "young and hungry" player out there. It's Lambert who chooses how to spend he money and 20m a season is more than most in the league get to spend. I see Chris Nicholl in the Evening Mail today has been very critical of Lambert and his approach and pretty much nails it. It was Lambert's choice to bin the 'bomb squad' and not look to bring in experience to support his young pups.

I can't speak for Monty regarding his managerial hopes but I've tried to be extremely realistic with the names I've thrown forward. I've looked at where we are and what we're currently trying to achieve and who could actually come in and improve us both short and medium term. Rene Girard, the current Lille coach ticks all the boxes, has superb experience working with 'young and hungry' players, can work on a tight budget, plays some great football, has overachieved at pretty much every club he's been at and can develop players for the club to sell on for huge profits. Oh.. and he'd love to manage in England, preferably the PL but was willing to drop to the Championship if it was the right, ambitious club. He just seems the ideal man for the job. I'm sure even Randy would like him and they could have lovely chats every few days.

I'm sure there are plenty of other options out there. It's embarrassing that the name Pulis is even being mentioned on here, nevermind seriously discussed. As I'm sure you're more than aware, we can do a lot better than that. We bloody deserve a lot better too.

I think what Chris says is correct. It is a realistic conclusion.

You assume the worst because you think it's logical to do so going on the last two seasons. Maybe there is a glimmer of hope that things will change now we have possibly ridden ourselves of two bad influences in the coaching staff.

You assume Lambert will sign a new deal and appoint new staff. Maybe he won't and maybe Cowans and Given will stay on.

You assume that it's not Lerner's idea to sign 'young and hungry' (AKA cheap). I'm pretty sure it is and that's what Lambert was told to do.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #4737 on: April 18, 2014, 08:37:48 PM »
For a brief few years after Randy took over, and with MON's journo budies we became media darlings. But unfortunately it was all too brief.  We need to raise our profile somehow, and short of becoming a top six club for an extended period of time, which in itself is going to cost more money than Randy is willing to invest, then we need to do things to make Villa park a fortress again. The Acorns sponsorship was fantastic and got a lot of coverage.  I'd reinstall the old A.V. floodlights, move the away fans, change that crap badge that we've got now,  give a free villa top to all season ticket holders, offer free entry for certain low profile mid week games or cup games. I know some of those ideas may seem far fetched, but we need to bring the club and the fans back together and get the feel good factor going again.

Yep. Many would like to see the proper floodlights back and even more would like to see that tepid washed out badge replaced by the one we all associate with Aston Villa FC.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #4738 on: April 18, 2014, 08:53:03 PM »
For a brief few years after Randy took over, and with MON's journo budies we became media darlings. But unfortunately it was all too brief.  We need to raise our profile somehow, and short of becoming a top six club for an extended period of time, which in itself is going to cost more money than Randy is willing to invest, then we need to do things to make Villa park a fortress again. The Acorns sponsorship was fantastic and got a lot of coverage.  I'd reinstall the old A.V. floodlights, move the away fans, change that crap badge that we've got now,  give a free villa top to all season ticket holders, offer free entry for certain low profile mid week games or cup games. I know some of those ideas may seem far fetched, but we need to bring the club and the fans back together and get the feel good factor going again.

Yep. Many would like to see the proper floodlights back and even more would like to see that tepid washed out badge replaced by the one we all associate with Aston Villa FC.

How are you going to fit floodlight pylons in the ground and I bet if you asked a random group of supporters which is the 'proper' badge you'd get at least two different replies.

Offline bob

« Reply #4739 on: April 18, 2014, 08:57:11 PM »
I thought Rico's post was just a bit of satire.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal