collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by pablo_picasso
[Today at 08:07:11 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 07:36:44 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Paul Lambert thread - poll reset after our capitulation to Hull  (Read 1626093 times)

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: The Paul Lambert thread
« Reply #4650 on: April 17, 2014, 03:48:45 PM »
It will be a first, Monty and long overdue.

It would, but their criteria last time were very consistent and resulted in a very fine-looking list.

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #4651 on: April 17, 2014, 04:06:08 PM »
Just about to be on SSN talking about this week. From what he said a few minutes ago, I heard, 'no comment' re the terrible two and that he had made the decision to promote Sid and Shay 'very quickly' .

I don't think I've ever watched SSN on a weekday afternoon before!

And if anybody else just watched that interview, I don't think he's going to be with us for a lot longer.

' Have you got the support of the owner?'
'Football apart he's good to talk to...but everybody knows what football is like.'
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 04:15:00 PM by Louzie0 »

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #4652 on: April 17, 2014, 04:06:30 PM »
My guess is that if by Christmas things have not improved then his position will be very precarious and he could be out. However, if we are nudging the top 10 he will be ok. 

Assuming the worst and I think based on the last two seasons that's the logical option, if by Christmas we're looking to replace Lambert, who having a few months previously had signed a new extended contract, brought in on three year deals his new coaching team, it's going to be a very expensive Christmas for Randy Lerner and Christmas every day for Lambert.

Then we have the problem of finding a replacement. I'd hope we'd look beyond those unemployed/unemployable managers scratching a living as TV and local radio pundits. Anybody worth inviting will either be blocked from speaking to us by their respective club or we'll end up paying out more millions in compensation.

Assuming then we have a new manager, his main job will be to keep us up as the only reason he got the job was because we were struggling. How low we'll have to be before Lerner calls time on Lambert, I can only guess but I'd imagine it would have to be with us in the bottom two with a single digit points total. Anything above that and Randy will give him time. Hardly the best environment to bring in a new manager.

If we are to replace Lambert it should be this summer for a host of reasons: financially, as Lambert will only have one season left on his contract, not three; wider recruitment selection both for a manager and players; a summer transfer window and budget for the new man; time to bed in his (hopefully) new ideas; a clean slate for the current squad and time for new players to adjust.. the advantages just go on and on.

The clearest and most obvious question we should be asking ourselves today is, based on the previous two years, what has Paul Lambert done to deserve the right to continue as manager of Aston Villa?

It doesn't matter what you, me or the bloke at the corner shop says, the signs are that Lerner is going to stick with him. He's going to do it for all sort of pragmatic reasons to do with money and continuity but also in the hope that we will finally see the man we thought we had appointed two years ago. It might work, it might not.

The other point is that unless we see a change from the board in their approach to the transfer market we are in for more of muddling around in the bottom half of the table, flirting with relegation until it finally happens. If that is the situation we are not going to attract the sort of names that you and Monty are expecting.

Offline supertom

« Reply #4653 on: April 17, 2014, 04:21:33 PM »
It seems pretty clear that Randy, unless he absolutely has to, will not fork out the money it'll cost to turf out Lambert. The cost of firing, then hiring another manager is probably too much. The way this has transpired and the fact that Lambert has been put separately from Culverhouse and Karsa. One might have assumed problems with two of Lamberts team would also have resulted in Lambert getting suspended too. You'd have thought at most clubs, that would have been a serious consideration. He is after all where the buck stops.

Not that I believe the "Secret footballer" nonsense, but one thing did sound as if it rung true. Lambert is seemingly willing to work to a very stringent set of parameters laid out by Randy. Randy's got an idea of how he wants to run this club now. Maybe he watched Moneyball on one of his plan rides over the ocean and got inspired.

In Randy's mind, getting rid of Lambert might be more trouble than he thinks its worth, for a number of reasons. Financial reasons being the main point, but also the fact that Lambert is a manager who had a track record of success and a degree of pedigree, who was willing to work under the parameters the club have set out.

We'll see what we see in the summer. If the mood with the fans is that sour still, Randy may have to bite the bullet. I think he's hoping that switching the back room staff can improve matters whilst retaining the current manager who is essentially a yes man.  As things stand though I think it's pretty clear that Randy does not want to sack Lambert, and barring a disastrous end to the season and poor season ticket sales, will not wield the axe. Even then, he's probably gonna give Lambert his final year.

Beyond that? Again, I worry if Randy's feelings are financially motivated. It may end up cheaper, extending Lambert's contract. Hiring someone else could be a pain. Because of the limitations imposed on any new man, any half decent manager will want to be well paid to work under those restrictions.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #4654 on: April 17, 2014, 04:36:27 PM »
If that is true ST

Lerner does not deserve to sell any season tickets and I think you are probably right

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4655 on: April 17, 2014, 04:50:05 PM »
Just about to be on SSN talking about this week. From what he said a few minutes ago, I heard, 'no comment' re the terrible two and that he had made the decision to promote Sid and Shay 'very quickly' .

And if anybody else just watched that interview, I don't think he's going to be with us for a lot longer.

'Football apart he's good to talk to...but everybody knows what football is like.'

They normally put the Thursday press conference up on AVTV so it might be worth a watch.

Offline Monty

« Reply #4656 on: April 17, 2014, 04:51:17 PM »
'Football apart he's good' would suffice to describe Lerner as a chairman.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #4657 on: April 17, 2014, 04:55:55 PM »

It's also the perfect description for our manager.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #4658 on: April 17, 2014, 04:59:33 PM »

Yet you still share his name.

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #4659 on: April 17, 2014, 05:01:08 PM »

They normally put the Thursday press conference up on AVTV so it might be worth a watch.

Didn't realise, thanks.
We may be feeling more positive following the coach cull (and so might the players) but I have to say that PL came over as a man who was struggling for words, at times. I know he's not the most sparkly of performers but I was a bit taken aback at the rather depressive tone of his responses to the questions.  Didn't even hear, 'We go again.' Perhaps he said it later.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #4660 on: April 17, 2014, 05:13:07 PM »

Mark fronted-up. To change back like all those who sheepishly dropped the N'Zoggy prefix from their usernames would be the act of a cheeky chimp.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #4661 on: April 17, 2014, 05:17:47 PM »
My guess is that if by Christmas things have not improved then his position will be very precarious and he could be out. However, if we are nudging the top 10 he will be ok. 

Assuming the worst and I think based on the last two seasons that's the logical option, if by Christmas we're looking to replace Lambert, who having a few months previously had signed a new extended contract, brought in on three year deals his new coaching team, it's going to be a very expensive Christmas for Randy Lerner and Christmas every day for Lambert.

Then we have the problem of finding a replacement. I'd hope we'd look beyond those unemployed/unemployable managers scratching a living as TV and local radio pundits. Anybody worth inviting will either be blocked from speaking to us by their respective club or we'll end up paying out more millions in compensation.

Assuming then we have a new manager, his main job will be to keep us up as the only reason he got the job was because we were struggling. How low we'll have to be before Lerner calls time on Lambert, I can only guess but I'd imagine it would have to be with us in the bottom two with a single digit points total. Anything above that and Randy will give him time. Hardly the best environment to bring in a new manager.

If we are to replace Lambert it should be this summer for a host of reasons: financially, as Lambert will only have one season left on his contract, not three; wider recruitment selection both for a manager and players; a summer transfer window and budget for the new man; time to bed in his (hopefully) new ideas; a clean slate for the current squad and time for new players to adjust.. the advantages just go on and on.

The clearest and most obvious question we should be asking ourselves today is, based on the previous two years, what has Paul Lambert done to deserve the right to continue as manager of Aston Villa?

It doesn't matter what you, me or the bloke at the corner shop says, the signs are that Lerner is going to stick with him. He's going to do it for all sort of pragmatic reasons to do with money and continuity but also in the hope that we will finally see the man we thought we had appointed two years ago. It might work, it might not.

The other point is that unless we see a change from the board in their approach to the transfer market we are in for more of muddling around in the bottom half of the table, flirting with relegation until it finally happens. If that is the situation we are not going to attract the sort of names that you and Monty are expecting.

Agree with you, Chris, it's Lerner's decision and his alone, I just can't see any reason apart from his pride, why Lerner would want to stick with Lambert.

Your second point however, on transfers, is open to question. I'm assuming it's not Lerner that has decided to buy every "young and hungry" player out there. It's Lambert who chooses how to spend he money and 20m a season is more than most in the league get to spend. I see Chris Nicholl in the Evening Mail today has been very critical of Lambert and his approach and pretty much nails it. It was Lambert's choice to bin the 'bomb squad' and not look to bring in experience to support his young pups.

I can't speak for Monty regarding his managerial hopes but I've tried to be extremely realistic with the names I've thrown forward. I've looked at where we are and what we're currently trying to achieve and who could actually come in and improve us both short and medium term. Rene Girard, the current Lille coach ticks all the boxes, has superb experience working with 'young and hungry' players, can work on a tight budget, plays some great football, has overachieved at pretty much every club he's been at and can develop players for the club to sell on for huge profits. Oh.. and he'd love to manage in England, preferably the PL but was willing to drop to the Championship if it was the right, ambitious club. He just seems the ideal man for the job. I'm sure even Randy would like him and they could have lovely chats every few days.

I'm sure there are plenty of other options out there. It's embarrassing that the name Pulis is even being mentioned on here, nevermind seriously discussed. As I'm sure you're more than aware, we can do a lot better than that. We bloody deserve a lot better too.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #4662 on: April 17, 2014, 05:19:43 PM »
I take it you're bored, Paulie? Silly fucker! ;)

Offline Monty

« Reply #4663 on: April 17, 2014, 05:19:53 PM »
I agree with Rudy Loves Lambert. Someone like Rene Girard would indeed be terrific. I'd be open to Thomas Tuechel, Vicenzo Montella, all these folk. Even Nigel Adkins would be an improvement on Lambert, I feel.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #4664 on: April 17, 2014, 05:23:22 PM »

You can choose your friends but not your family.
Like many on here I wanted Lambert as manager, I really thought he'd be a thinking man's MON. I have no shame in holding my hand up and saying I got it wrong. I just wish Randy would do the same.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal