collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Pressed-back  (Read 6495 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Pressed-back
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 12:44:16 AM »
I think that article sums up how I feel nicely, especially every time I see 3 centre halves starting for Villa.

Offline bob

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 09:20:39 AM »
I think you have misused the phrase "beg the question".

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 10:28:55 AM »
Well I agree with your summing up Dave. Its very dissapointing that the club or perhaps the club manager has let us down after two encouraging performances.

Mind you this is a club who on their official site honours the death of our top scorer of the 1960s by showing him in a Liverpool kit!

Nothing surprises me with this club anymore. Absolutely nothing!

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 10:41:53 AM »
Ah Benni McCarthy, The player that could have been

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 10:49:59 AM »
I don't particularly like 3 CBs, but it's not necessarily defensive - look at Anfield last year.  No, to me it's more or a mentality thing and at 0-1 up we didn't have any conviction to go at them, which had nothing to do with the formation.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 10:52:36 AM »
I don't particularly like 3 CBs, but it's not necessarily defensive - look at Anfield last year.  No, to me it's more or a mentality thing and at 0-1 up we didn't have any conviction to go at them, which had nothing to do with the formation.

I agree on the three centre backs. When Brian Little played it, it was exciting  because we had proper wingbacks. Under John Gregory it meant five defenders.

Offline Monty

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 10:55:07 AM »

I agree on the three centre backs. When Brian Little played it, it was exciting  because we had proper wingbacks. Under John Gregory it meant five defenders.

Indeed. Three at the back was brought back recently by Napoli, Guardiola and then Martinez himself. It's not the tactic, it's the implementation.

Offline Concrete John

• GM : Mar, 2014
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 10:55:15 AM »

Bacuna and Bertrand can make it work attacking wise for us, but we just need to be more positive as a team with it.

Offline Monty

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 10:57:47 AM »

Bacuna and Bertrand can make it work attacking wise for us, but we just need to be more positive as a team with it.

A big problem is not having three in centre midfield as well. Lambert wants two up front with Weimann or Gabby or someone in behind, and it just leaves us with this enormous shortfall in the middle. There's also a lack of cover by only having the two in midfield, meaning the defence has to drop deep and basically do last ditch - hardly conducive for keeping the ball.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 11:04:12 AM »
Last season Villa bought the unknown Yacouba Sylla in January when experience was ended

That a typo there?  Good article anyway.

Offline eastie

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 11:04:19 AM »
Also helps if the central defenders are comfortable on the ball and can play out of defence rather than just play it long so often, the balance of the team was all wrong at goodison and it was an odd selection - holt contributed very little to the cause and  lambert must take the blame for the side he picked.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 11:05:23 AM »
[quote link=topic=51438.msg2524119#msg2524119 date=1391424113]
Last season Villa bought the unknown Yacouba Sylla in January when experience was ended
[/quote]

That a typo there?  Good article anyway.

Thanks, and amended.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 11:08:25 AM »

A big problem is not having three in centre midfield as well. Lambert wants two up front with Weimann or Gabby or someone in behind, and it just leaves us with this enormous shortfall in the middle. There's also a lack of cover by only having the two in midfield, meaning the defence has to drop deep and basically do last ditch - hardly conducive for keeping the ball.
this is spot on. Little's side did have good wing backs, but also quality in midfield. Some of the best football I've seen at villa when they were firing.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 11:13:00 AM »

First half at Everton, even with five defenders spread across the pitch, Baines seemed to always be in space. The three centre halves seemed too close together.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal