collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: To What End?  (Read 41378 times)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
Re: To What End?
« Reply #255 on: February 09, 2014, 01:48:43 PM »
I started this thread so I might as well tie it up before it sinks.   What I think that the future holds if the current manager, board, owner and policies remain unchanged and I think they will remain unchanged because both Lambert and Faulkner have mastered the art of saying what the owner wants to hear, is relegation.   I think we are the worst team I have seen this season and relegation will come with the game at Tottenham.   If it does not and we scrape clear again it will come next year as our inexorable decline under the current regime and policies continue.

Once relegated Lambert will be retained as "the best man to get us back into the premiership".  He will fail at that just as he has failed at everything else at Villa in his tenure and four or five months into our first championship season he and his equally inept staff will be sacked.   At that point with anybody else, anybody, the losing at Villa Park monkey will fall off our backs and we will start to win games and slowly but surely start the long hard process of trying to put behind us all the self inflicted damage done to the club since the departure of O'Neill.   We will rise again but not just yet.
Or,
Lambert keeps them up, the board begin to release funds for more expansive but still sensible signings and the team starts winning games, climbing the table and competing for trophies. Grealish, Robinson and Donacien are joined by more experienced players alongside the likes of Okore, Vlaar, Betrand, Delph, Guzan and  Benteke and the squad begins to look like a real force.

How many other scenarios are there? - probably several!

"More sensible signings"? That sounds suspiciously like an updated "young and hungry", and we all know what that really meant...
Cheap lower league bargain basement crap. 
Well, the quote you tried to copy was about releasing funds for "more expansive but still sensible signings", by which I meant better quality / more expensive players that do not cost crazy fees / salaries i.e. improving the overall squad quality rather than (as has been the case from Lambert to this point) chasing cheap headcount.

And, yes, that will probably mean still signing players that they think will have some sell-on potential.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal