collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:14:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 09:05:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gary Gardner - Retired  (Read 166779 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: Gary Gardner - Retired
« Reply #975 on: June 06, 2019, 06:41:25 PM »
Gardner brothers on tour

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #976 on: June 06, 2019, 06:47:50 PM »
He's pretty irrelevant to us and so is who he supported as a kid.  He's just trying to have a career and say what people want to hear.  Really, why should we care?

It happens all the time in football.  That's why our interviewers first question to new players is usually "how does it feel to join a huge club like Villa."  He knows our fans want to hear it and they player will have been briefed on mentioning our size and history.  It's all lip service but harmless stuff, and us fans lap it up.

I hate the 'massive club' garbage that they force new signings to parrot.

Do you want that, or do you want Richard Dunne and Stephen Ireland talking about joining a 'family' club.

Making us sound like Watford or Fulham.

That said, the marketing crew need to up their game. This 'We are Premier League' all over the clubshop is total cringe.

Offline oldham_villa

« Reply #977 on: June 06, 2019, 08:00:26 PM »
Gardner brothers on tour

Lol, that's a crop of my photograph :-)

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #978 on: June 06, 2019, 08:07:14 PM »
He's pretty irrelevant to us and so is who he supported as a kid.  He's just trying to have a career and say what people want to hear.  Really, why should we care?

It happens all the time in football.  That's why our interviewers first question to new players is usually "how does it feel to join a huge club like Villa."  He knows our fans want to hear it and they player will have been briefed on mentioning our size and history.  It's all lip service but harmless stuff, and us fans lap it up.

I hate the 'massive club' garbage that they force new signings to parrot.

Do you want that, or do you want Richard Dunne and Stephen Ireland talking about joining a 'family' club.

Making us sound like Watford or Fulham.

That said, the marketing crew need to up their game. This 'We are Premier League' all over the clubshop is total cringe.

I don’t want to hear about those 2 joining our club at all :-\

Offline The Moose

• GM : 03.08.2016
« Reply #979 on: June 06, 2019, 11:10:30 PM »
We are Premier League though, aren't we?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #980 on: June 06, 2019, 11:17:08 PM »
We are but at times it's feels like we were acting like a small club getting there for the first time. That said I accept a lot of the social media and marketing that the club do isn't aimed at old gits like me.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #981 on: June 07, 2019, 11:13:40 AM »
We are but at times it's feels like we were acting like a small club getting there for the first time. That said I accept a lot of the social media and marketing that the club do isn't aimed at old gits like me.

I know what you mean and agree

Now that the excitement has died down we should hang our heads in shame at what led to us getting relegated  in the first place and focus on never letting it happen again.

All this 'we are premier league' stuff makes us sound like Huddersfield or Barnsley being allowed to play with the big boys for a couple of years.

Which is why the club were spot on about not having an open top bus style celebration.

It's fucking great we are out of that league but we should be mortally embarrassed to have spent three years there in the first place.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #982 on: June 07, 2019, 12:14:24 PM »
All this 'we are premier league' stuff makes us sound like Huddersfield or Barnsley being allowed to play with the big boys for a couple of years.

Which is why the club were spot on about not having an open top bus style celebration.

It's fucking great we are out of that league but we should be mortally embarrassed to have spent three years there in the first place.
Agreed about the avoidance of 'small town' but I'd add that sometimes teams need to go through a cathartic process - whcih may involve relegation - in order to return stronger and better than before. We have perhaps done it to the extreme -3 seasons - but I'm hoping we'll see the sort of resurgence I was lucky enough to witness and live through after 1970.
Without the catharsis, teams just 'exist' in the top division, winning nothing and contributing very little. I hope we move beyond that stage as quickly as possible.

Offline Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #983 on: June 07, 2019, 12:44:25 PM »
Looked to have a great future at the age of 16, but to have an ACL in both knees was megga bad luck. All his loan spells haven't been that good until this one with Blues. The championship is his level and I wish him well and thanks for the goal against Blues and the following celebration.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #984 on: June 07, 2019, 05:54:34 PM »
The fact that both he and his massive cock ring of a brother both had to swear allegiance to that lot and deny our existence tells you not just how sad they are but ultimately how that lot are. That admitting any kind of feelings towards "da Vile" would be seen as a betrayal. And the media said we are the petty ones and all hated McLeish and Bruce because of links with them. No we just thought they were crap.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #985 on: June 09, 2019, 08:38:55 AM »
Looked to have a great future at the age of 16, but to have an ACL in both knees was megga bad luck. All his loan spells haven't been that good until this one with Blues. The championship is his level and I wish him well and thanks for the goal against Blues and the following celebration.

When we played in that Euro Youth Cup, he was head and shoulders above everyone we played against and there were some pretty strong teams, Celtic, Inter and Ajax amongst others. He looked like he could be the next Gerrard.

Not sure if it was the injuries or a natural lack of pace that slowed his progress but he just never pushed on and looked comfortable. A meat and two veg Championship player who never looked like holding down a regular place in our worst team in living memory. A bright future behind him now.

Offline FatSam

« Reply #986 on: June 09, 2019, 09:00:30 AM »
I can remember to watching him come off the bench and score two for the England U21s about the same time as well. He looked like a player who could really make a difference.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #987 on: June 09, 2019, 02:30:37 PM »
What a complete twat and a fraud Gary Gardner is! So he literally ran to the Sty to sign for the losers! They ain't getting promoted any time soon!

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #988 on: June 09, 2019, 02:37:08 PM »
The fact that both he and his massive cock ring of a brother both had to swear allegiance to that lot and deny our existence tells you not just how sad they are but ultimately how that lot are. That admitting any kind of feelings towards "da Vile" would be seen as a betrayal. And the media said we are the petty ones and all hated McLeish and Bruce because of links with them. No we just thought they were crap.

Watch us cheer for Jota if he makes it and for nobody in the media to mention anything.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #989 on: June 09, 2019, 02:42:10 PM »

Can you imagine Liverpool appointing two different managers who had previously relegated Everton or Manure appointing two different managers who had relegated Manchester City? As you say we didn't have a problem with them being ex Small Heath managers we just didn't think they were the best men for the job. We were proved right in both cases.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal